• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Tomorrow is Class 387s Paddington to Swindon, a handful of 800s, XCs Plymouth to Swindon and Castle HSTs.

Coming in are 387s from elsewhere, TP 802s and LSL HSTs . . . time to spot trains!!
It does sound really cool - shame I won't be able to see most of it - if some of the rumours do come true, that is!
The 387s have been a regular site at Didcot for a few years now, so I'm not overly fussed about them :)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Haha :) Oldmoor's got 4 37s, but none of them are working at the moment - we might need Dale End Lane Control to send a 57!

Wow - impressed you captured all that. There really is a lot of work going on with all this, isn't there? Reminds me - I must pop over to Oldmoor Junction at some point and see what's happening.

-Peter
Found a driver for the 57 tomorrow. Can send it between 0900 and 1000 once the sleeper is in the sidings.
Tomorrow is Class 387s Paddington to Swindon, a handful of 800s, XCs Plymouth to Swindon and Castle HSTs.

Coming in are 387s from elsewhere, TP 802s and LSL HSTs . . . time to spot trains!!
Defiantly time to spot trains if they stay out of use for a while (and EMR HST's before the weekend). Got a few more ideas for special stock on the layout. Just need to run them by control first!

Peter C

Established Member
Found a driver for the 57 tomorrow. Can send it between 0900 and 1000 once the sleeper is in the sidings.
Apologies for not getting back sooner: something came up at Oldmoor T&RSMD and it's been a right pain to sort out (well, that's my reason and I'm sticking to it). ;)
I've been on the phone to Oldmoor Railway Centre again, and they say that, due to a sudden crises regarding dramatic changes (their words, not mine) to part of the railway centre, they can't supply the originally-planned coaches anymore. They can supply two GWR and one LNER four-wheeled set though?

-Peter

Established Member
Apologies for not getting back sooner: something came up at Oldmoor T&RSMD and it's been a right pain to sort out (well, that's my reason and I'm sticking to it). ;)
I've been on the phone to Oldmoor Railway Centre again, and they say that, due to a sudden crises regarding dramatic changes (their words, not mine) to part of the railway centre, they can't supply the originally-planned coaches anymore. They can supply two GWR and one LNER four-wheeled set though?

-Peter
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Been onto Dale End Lane Control and they have said that 800004 is allowed in traffic subject to regular checks. 800010 will need to move to for further checks at some point (The man in a van is somewhere on the M5). With what should be a hourly London timetable on Saturday (yet to create it!) we might need the two GWR coaches. I'm sure the 57 can be sent between now and Friday.

'Sudden crises regarding dramatic changes' is probably what Hitachi used for the 800's when they were grounded :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Been onto Dale End Lane Control and they have said that 800004 is allowed in traffic subject to regular checks. 800010 will need to move to for further checks at some point (The man in a van is somewhere on the M5). With what should be a hourly London timetable on Saturday (yet to create it!) we might need the two GWR coaches. I'm sure the 57 can be sent between now and Friday.
Good news with regards to those units: I know how you feel in terms of the right people not getting to you in time. Oldmoor Railway Centre are still waiting for someone to get back to them with regards to whether BR are planning to scrap a selection of Standard Fours... ;)
I'll have the GWR coaches shunted into the railway centre reception road then. Might be able to get it done for tomorrow, but that's down to how tired Barry the shunter is, and whether he's left for the pub yet...

'Sudden crises regarding dramatic changes' is probably what Hitachi used for the 800's when they were grounded :lol:
Haha! :lol::lol: I can imagine the meeting at Hitachi Towers (I assume that's what their HQ is called)!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Good news with regards to those units: I know how you feel in terms of the right people not getting to you in time. Oldmoor Railway Centre are still waiting for someone to get back to them with regards to whether BR are planning to scrap a selection of Standard Fours... ;)
I'll have the GWR coaches shunted into the railway centre reception road then. Might be able to get it done for tomorrow, but that's down to how tired Barry the shunter is, and whether he's left for the pub yet...

Haha! :lol::lol: I can imagine the meeting at Hitachi Towers (I assume that's what their HQ is called)!

-Peter
I've had the call for spare HSTs too, back to loco haul for my services!

Established Member
Haha :lol:
It might be silly, but all this messing around is really making me giggle.

-Peter
Keeps it interesting as well and week can use rule 1 more!

Anyway started planning the summer timetable with all the extra stock. Now a 1 800, HST, 68's and some GWR coaches to help out with the London services. Could also use the sleeper day coaches on a shuttle to Plymouth or Exeter.
1621536777398.png

Thanks to @Peter C for the loan of 2 GWR coaches from the railway center at Oldmoor Junction. These arrived this morning behind the 57 and after some shunting around the sleeper day coaches where then added to form a 5 coach rake. The set will now form a service to Exeter to connect with a 800 to London before returning later on ready for the sleeper this evening.

IMG_20210523_102706.jpgIMG_20210523_104924.jpg

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member

Anyway started planning the summer timetable with all the extra stock. Now a 1 800, HST, 68's and some GWR coaches to help out with the London services. Could also use the sleeper day coaches on a shuttle to Plymouth or Exeter.
View attachment 96676
That looks interesting - I love the detail you've put into that. I need to do something like that for my layout, but first I need to decide where it's supposed to be set!

Thanks to @Peter C for the loan of 2 GWR coaches from the railway center at Oldmoor Junction. These arrived this morning behind the 57 and after some shunting around the sleeper day coaches where then added to form a 5 coach rake. The set will now form a service to Exeter to connect with a 800 to London before returning later on ready for the sleeper this evening.

View attachment 96796View attachment 96797
Haha :lol: - love it!
Glad to know we could help: I've just had the Railway Centre on the phone again and they say they might be able to supply a couple of clerestory coaches too, but wooden-bodied coaches on the mainline are a bit of a health and safety hazard, apparently...

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 96676

I am sure that the Mk3s are air braked, ETH and the GWR ones steam heated and vacuum baked . . . . .

The 57 cannot haul the GWR ones . . . . .

Iskra

Established Member
Don't worry, there's a 47 on the way to solve any coaching stock compatibility issues, only problem is it's failed en route and has had to be embarrassingly rescued by a kettle...
47.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't worry, there's a 47 on the way to solve any coaching stock compatibility issues, only problem is it's failed en route and has had to be embarrassingly rescued by a kettle...
View attachment 96807

Oh that’s not good. I expect the fire bell was ringing. Nothing like that to worry about on the steamer. ;)

View attachment 96676

I’m very interested in your timetable. I might pm you for a bit of advice on that at some point.

Established Member
Latest arrival at Dale End Lane is Virgin East Coast HST 43311 & 43314 with 6 mk3's. The aim is to have a go at re-branding the power cars and possibly the coaches to have EMR branding so will work alongside the VP set.
IMG_20210527_163704.jpg
IMG_20210527_165133.jpg

With 43048 on the front it's almost as if NL65 is still around.
IMG_20210527_165222.jpg

Could be 43185 but could also be 43102.
IMG_20210527_165308.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Latest arrival at Dale End Lane is Virgin East Coast HST 43311 & 43314 with 6 mk3's. The aim is to have a go at re-branding the power cars and possibly the coaches to have EMR branding so will work alongside the VP set.
View attachment 97076
View attachment 97077

With 43048 on the front it's almost as if NL65 is still around.
View attachment 97078

Could be 43185 but could also be 43102.
View attachment 97079
Those all look like lovely powercars - especially the new ones. With EMR branding on, they'd look the part I bet. :)

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I agree. It’d be great to see an HST lineup like @reddragon suggested too...
I'd definitely like to see that too. Do you have a HST @Cowley? We could do a massive HST Gala from everyone in the modelling section! (@Iskra could provide the steam traction for when the HSTs all fail in hilarious ways, too) :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd definitely like to see that too. Do you have a HST @Cowley? We could do a massive HST Gala from everyone in the modelling section! (@Iskra could provide the steam traction for when the HSTs all fail in hilarious ways, too) :)

-Peter

Well I haven’t but my friend George has...

Peter C

Established Member
Well I haven’t but my friend George has...
Ah yes - I seem to remember seeing a HST on that layout with all the snow (if that was his). That's close enough: I'm sure he won't mind if you, well, 'borrow' it for a while to use on Lapford? ;)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I can send a HST, might need a clean first ;)

EF35F77A-2951-47C1-9212-A6C3CD8D8C83.jpeg

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 97155
Ah yes! Completely forgot about yours. Lovely pair of models!
I've got five power cars in total, but only one of them has a motor, so once we've got a location sorted (I'm thinking Old Oak Common), I'll sort out some traction to drag them there :D

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Ah yes! Completely forgot about yours. Lovely pair of models!
I've got five power cars in total, but only one of them has a motor, so once we've got a location sorted (I'm thinking Old Oak Common), I'll sort out some traction to drag them there :D

-Pete
Very good! I keep hoping to find a dummy Virgin XC power car to weather up for the other end of the rake to run with the powered IC power car.

Peter C

Established Member

Peter C

Established Member
Ah, thanks for that, I’ll keep an eye on it. I do have a couple of VT Mk3’s so it would go nicely.
Even better! I think at one point you could get a Hornby Virgin HST (two power cars, one motorised, plus coach) in the RailRoad range for just over £50 - bargain!

-Peter

Established Member
A HST line up shot would be good!

I agree. It’d be great to see an HST lineup like @reddragon suggested too...

-Peter
Well here you go. Dale End Lane carriage sidings open day (Bristol open day style). 43304, 43041, 43311 and 43048 arrive from Laira and Neville Hill as one train.
IMG_20210528_152758.jpg

From back to front (numbers in brackets is the pair PC number in the pack):
43002 Intercity blue
43185 Intercity Swallow
43069 Midland Mainline (43070)
43063 Virgin
43048 East Midlands Trains (43055)
43311 Virgin East Coast (43314 soon to be EMR branded)
43041 GWR (43005)
43304 Cross Country (43357)
IMG_20210528_152319 (2).jpg

Those all look like lovely powercars - especially the new ones. With EMR branding on, they'd look the part I bet. :)

-Peter
Thanks! It will be a nice little project and learning experience as I haven't done anything like it before.

View attachment 97155
They don't need a clean! Got a picture of 43002 at Bath just like the one on the left.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a very nicely posed lineup I must say! Great variety too.

Peter C

Established Member
Well here you go. Dale End Lane carriage sidings open day (Bristol open day style). 43304, 43041, 43311 and 43048 arrive from Laira and Neville Hill as one train.
View attachment 97169

43002 Intercity blue
43185 Intercity Swallow
43063 Virgin
43041 GWR (43005)
View attachment 97171

Thanks! It will be a nice little project and learning experience as I haven't done anything like it before.

They don't need a clean! Got a picture of 43002 at Bath just like the one on the left.
The variety of TOCs on show there really is nice. The little bit at the beginning with them arriving is lovely too.
Oldmoor Railway Centre may just hold an open day tomorrow, with a similar theme... ;)

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
View attachment 97169

43002 Intercity blue
43185 Intercity Swallow
43063 Virgin
43041 GWR (43005)
View attachment 97171

I consider myself out HST'd!

Status
Not open for further replies.