• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Damaged Azuma being hauled by a Class 67 at Ranskill (19/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I caught the 10:49 from Retford to York this morning. Having accelerated out of Retford, we soon started to slow down again. I then noticed that we were on the down loop at Ranskill. I thought we were allowing a late running express to overtake, but then saw an Azuma (9 car I think) with a Class 67 attached on the fast line.

Does anyone know what was going on? The Azuma looked empty so it can't have recently failed, so i'm assuming either being returned to the depot after an earlier failure or a test run?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Failed after being involved in a fatality last night. Has some serious damage.

LowLevel

Established Member
It can only be moved at 5 mph top and tailed by 2 class 67s. Consequently it's waiting till after the last service tonight to be tripped to Doncaster.

Established Member
I caught the 10:49 from Retford to York this morning. Having accelerated out of Retford, we soon started to slow down again. I then noticed that we were on the down loop at Ranskill. I thought we were allowing a late running express to overtake, but then saw an Azuma (9 car I think) with a Class 67 attached on the fast line.

Does anyone know what was going on? The Azuma looked empty so it can't have recently failed, so i'm assuming either being returned to the depot after an earlier failure or a test run?

Last nights 1N34 (2100 Kings Cross - Newcastle). Customers were evacuated onto 1n35, past York at 0520 this morning.

As post above me too a, trains has suffered some serious damage which has made it impossible to be moved last night, either by thunderbird or by another Azuma whixh attempted to rescue the train.

Can imagine there will be some very serious conversations goong on after this between Network Rail, Lner and Hitachi, over how a fatality can cause such damage.

If the train had stopped one signal earlier or later, the disruption today on Ecml would of been immense.

Established Member
It can only be moved at 5 mph top and tailed by 2 class 67s. Consequently it's waiting till after the last service tonight to be tripped to Doncaster.

As a result of Bounds Green Thunder Bird is on scene, the Bounds Green TBird is currently a 91

Failed Unit

Established Member
Last nights 1N34 (2100 Kings Cross - Newcastle). Customers were evacuated onto 1n35, past York at 0520 this morning.

As post above me too a, trains has suffered some serious damage which has made it impossible to be moved last night, either by thunderbird or by another Azuma whixh attempted to rescue the train.

Can imagine there will be some very serious conversations goong on after this between Network Rail, Lner and Hitachi, over how a fatality can cause such damage.

If the train had stopped one signal earlier or later, the disruption today on Ecml would of been immense.
Must admit that is a concern. Sadly it isn’t going to be the last thing these trains hit. Animals are a lot bigger and heavier as well.

Bayum

Established Member
Anyone know the nature of the ‘serious damage’?

FQTV

Now that we know why a Thunderbird was attached, I’d like to observe that:

A person died.

If you like to speak to someone, talk to your friends first. They will help. If you’re not sure that they will, talk to The Sams: https://www.samaritans.org

If you appreciate that there are folks that you don’t know but who are unsure of themselves, and if you’d like to lend some support, click the above link and/or: https://www.thecalmzone.net

I don’t know of a link that assists others involved; the driver, probably the guard; the police and paramedics, and station staff.

Perhaps others can suggest opportunities in that regard.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Having heard about the fatality on Friday I feared that would be the case.

There has seems to have been several fatalities on the ECML in the last couple of weeks which is very sad indeed. My thoughts are with everyone affected.

Regarding the Azuma, it is concerning that such an incident should damage the train so seriously.

GB

Established Member
Regarding the Azuma, it is concerning that such an incident should damage the train so seriously.

Wait till the new GA units enter full service....the coupling components under the cab seem hugely exposed.

Established Member
Well it must be a crap design then. I've only heard of pantographs coming off in collisions with other vehicles or derailments.
Who said the Pantograph came off?
Multiple ways it could be damaged due to impact damage.
But as Darlo Rich says, it's seems pretty obvious how the damage could occur.

GB

Established Member
The pantograph wasn’t damaged. It simply developed a fault. That said, during a high energy impact it’s quite possible to have debris roll over the top of a cab and strike the pantograph.

TheEdge

Established Member
Wait till the new GA units enter full service....the coupling components under the cab seem hugely exposed.

No more exposed than the air pipes and electrical kit on a BSI or any other autocoupler.

Established Member
All these posts about how its concerning that an azuma could be damaged so easily. So can any train! I'm aware of a HST being disabled by a pheasant. A person at high speed at an awkward angle can do significant damage to any train. And in the past has... so let's stop the anti Azuma nonsense shall we?

GB

Established Member
No more exposed than the air pipes and electrical kit on a BSI or any other autocoupler.

The space between the coupling and the body seem a lot bigger than previous stock and extends right the way through under the cab.

While certain things are exposed on other types there seems more chance of objects being deflected.

hqdefault.jpg

british_rail_class_360_by_ojisanphoto_d5sra58-pre.jpg

IMG_1332.JPG

Established Member
The space between the coupling and the body seem a lot bigger than previous stock and extends right the way through under the cab.

While certain things are exposed on other types there seems more chance of objects being deflected.

hqdefault.jpg

british_rail_class_360_by_ojisanphoto_d5sra58-pre.jpg

IMG_1332.JPG
They look not much worse than a Voyager in that respect IMO.

TheEdge

Established Member

Yes, there is space behind the coupler but there is not a huge amount of stuff there. From memory (I've not looked under one for a few weeks and didn't pay much attention to this) the actual piping and cabling is within the coupler bar, not hanging loose.

When trains get immobilised by impacts its more often than not the coupler head itself that's been damaged rather than things further behind it. And by its very nature the head is one of the most exposed parts of a train.

M60lad

Considering the amount of damage done am I right are these trains still under warranty and if so where will this Azuma go to be fixed?

From my experience (seen a fair few trains post-fatality), trains with exposed structure & auto-couplers tend to be less problematic in your average fatality as there's no fibre glass nose cone to deal with - which can actually cause damage to other components when impacted. Bodily remains can also find their way into unclean-able areas inside nose cones, so if they have to come off for repair there can be some nasty surprises inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.