• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daughter Has Been Fined at Magistrates Court Without Knowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

some bloke

Established Member
Not of great relevance to the OP, but if his daughter knew how the case began she should be paying the fine and not even considering a statutory declaration.
It's a reference to the part about the statutory declaration procedure for a case beginning with an SJPN.

Edited to add:

The point is about what she "knows", ie as a result of whatever information she now has from the court and elsewhere, not about what she knew in the past.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
it's the Magistrates Court which is in control at the moment. Our daughter called them and was on the phone for over an hour, speaking to a number of people, but all helpful. Statutory Declaration process has been kicked off though it will take a few weeks due to a big backlog.

That’s great news. Have the mags also confirmed that the today’s date has been fixed for the SD? If they’ve got a backlog, and that takes processing beyond the 21 days since your daughter discovered her conviction, you need that certainty

SidewaysSyd

P.S. to Western Lancer - GWR phone number said they won't be able to talk to anybody on the phone about a fine...email or write. We emailed, had a reply saying we aim to contact you in 15-20 days and had a reply within 2 hours! We thought it would be hard to get to the courts too, but they answered within seconds and we were talking to someone within a minute.

I'll update when the SD springs into life. Until then, thanks again

WesternLancer

Established Member
P.S. to Western Lancer - GWR phone number said they won't be able to talk to anybody on the phone about a fine...email or write. We emailed, had a reply saying we aim to contact you in 15-20 days and had a reply within 2 hours! We thought it would be hard to get to the courts too, but they answered within seconds and we were talking to someone within a minute.

I'll update when the SD springs into life. Until then, thanks again
Thanks for update - does sound positive. I should have explained my reasoning ref phoning (which obviously can be required) - dates form my experience doing advice work in a previous job - it was not about the ease or otherwise of getting through - it was about the audit trail 'evidence' of what was said in the conversations later on when they had to be relied upon as evidence of why a course of action was / was not taken, as it were.

I learned that people can come away from conversations with completely different understandings of what the other person said they should do / told them was going to happen etc etc

I'd often deal with people who would need help and conversation would go along lines of:

"well the person at the DSS / Council / etc I spoke to told me that...."
to which I would say "which person was that, what was their job title, what was there name, when did they say that would happen by"
to which the answer would be "I don't know who they were, I just rang this number"
"which number?"
"The number on the letter they sent me"
"Can I see a copy of that letter?"
"Oh I didn't keep it, I thought it had all got sorted out when I rang, but now I've had this other letter asking me for all the money back..."

I'm sure you know what I mean!

Best avoided by following up every conversation in writing. Tedious I know.

Anyway - sounds like you are on track wit the process and good luck with it, hope it's sorted without too much extra hassle and cost.

TyneandWear

Hi , I had a similar problem but with LNER and they actually contacted the courts on my behalf to get the matter withdrawn within 24 hours of me speaking to them on the phone and so hopefully The same will be done for you today

island

Veteran Member
Hi , I had a similar problem but with LNER and they actually contacted the courts on my behalf to get the matter withdrawn within 24 hours of me speaking to them on the phone and so hopefully The same will be done for you today
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately this advice won’t help our OP here as the matter has already gone all the way through the courts and a conviction issued, so there is nothing for GWR to withdraw.

shopbford

One further thing of note is that in cases like this it may have come to light sooner in normal circumstances as unpaid Court fines are referred for Enforcement. Fortunately Enforcement is on hold for now but Bailiffs will be back knocking on doors etc as from August 24 - next Monday. Fortunately everything seems to be going right for the OP in this case.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
One further thing of note is that in cases like this it may have come to light sooner in normal circumstances as unpaid Court fines are referred for Enforcement. Fortunately Enforcement is on hold for now but Bailiffs will be back knocking on doors etc as from August 24 - next Monday. Fortunately everything seems to be going right for the OP in this case.

I don't think this scaremongering is appropriate and something the OP wishes to read. She made a simple mistake of forgetting her railcard. I think you've been watching too much "Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away"...

Status
Not open for further replies.