• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dawlish sea wall collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

On Moderation
Does anyone know the latest progress with the walkway along the sea wall? I've been watching the Dawlish beach webcam and have noticed some work going on. Are the rubble-filled containers still on the lower path out of view or have they been cut up?

I was also surprised to see a fisherman walk along the seawall path trailing his fishing rod after the workmen had finished for the day. Is the path now accessible to the general public?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Part of the path is open from Red rock cafe to the footbridge over the railway but the Dawlish end is still closed. The bit from Dawlish to Kennaway tunnel is open as well.

Not sure about the Teignmouth end.

CC 72100

Established Member
Does anyone know the latest progress with the walkway along the sea wall? I've been watching the Dawlish beach webcam and have noticed some work going on. Are the rubble-filled containers still on the lower path out of view or have they been cut up?

I was also surprised to see a fisherman walk along the seawall path trailing his fishing rod after the workmen had finished for the day. Is the path now accessible to the general public?

They were still there last Saturday for information.

On a sea wall related note, does anyone know why the sea just after the last tunnel going Westbound towards Teignmouth is so clay red at the moment? On my recent trips down there, it always seems really red just after leaving the tunnel, and I can't remember it being like that back in the Summer of 2013. Some sort of rock erosion type of activity perhaps?

455driver

Veteran Member
They were still there last Saturday for information.

On a sea wall related note, does anyone know why the sea just after the last tunnel going Westbound towards Teignmouth is so clay red at the moment? On my recent trips down there, it always seems really red just after leaving the tunnel, and I can't remember it being like that back in the Summer of 2013. Some sort of rock erosion type of activity perhaps?

Because they are still dumping the soil from the slip over the sea wall onto the beach which is then removed by the tide.

Bishopstone

Established Member
The sea wall was closed from Teignmouth to Holcombe when I was down there in late July. I walked to Dawlish by road (mostly) instead, which I can recommend for those seeking a strenuous cardiovascular work-out, but not otherwise!

MarkyT

Established Member
There's an excellent recent video survey of the entire length of the Dawlish section of sea wall here: http://youtu.be/FtRnW5lIst4

(Also includes a castle class steam locomotive at speed on an excursion incidentally!)

snowball

Established Member
An NR press release dating from 6 Aug:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...-army-continues-its-work-at-Dawlish-210e.aspx

Detailed below are the latest updates on the work being undertaken:

Dawlish Warren to Dawlish

The section of walkway from Boat Cove to Coast Guard footbridge is open

The section of walkway from Dawlish Warren to Rockstone footbridge opened on 3 June, two weeks ahead of schedule

The majority of the overflow car park at Dawlish Warren station is now available again for public use

Due to essential work being undertaken to raise the lower walkway between Coast Guard and Rockstone Bridge, this section will remain closed until early next year.

The high tide diversionary route via Exeter Road will remain in place for the duration of this work.

Teignmouth to Smugglers Lane

It is anticipated that the section of sea wall walkway between Teignmouth and Smugglers Lane will be reopened to the public on 12 August. This follows the challenging work of stabilising parts of the cliff and the extended work to repair Sprey Point ramp.

In order to accommodate cliff stabilisation work between Teignmouth and Smugglers Lane, the walkway will be closed overnight on Saturdays. Overnight closures may also occur on some mid-week days, but only if it is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.