• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Ranger Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

A week on Tuesday I'm planning to use a day ranger type ticket and in the rules it states that it cannot be used before 09.00. However I wish to use it to catch a train at 08.59 and I'm aware that the guard will make his / her way down the train shortly after it departs. Am I likely to be hauled over the coals for using a day ranger a minute before I'm officially allowed to use it?

Any opinions would be gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
I had this recently. Rover valid from 0915, intended first train 0914. A quick chat to the guard before boarding asking if I could get on a minute early or at worst purchase a ticket to one stop down the line, and I was given permission to board with a smile and without the threat of prosecution or perpetual suffering in the afterlife (followed by the comment that the guard had no idea about rover start times, so had I not raised it, it would have accepted it anyway). Don't ask, don't get.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, had the same here for an 08:44 service with rover validity at 08:45. Did exactly the same as crehld, no problems.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
G'day everyone,

A week on Tuesday I'm planning to use a day ranger type ticket and in the rules it states that it cannot be used before 09.00. However I wish to use it to catch a train at 08.59 and I'm aware that the guard will make his / her way down the train shortly after it departs. Am I likely to be hauled over the coals for using a day ranger a minute before I'm officially allowed to use it?

Any opinions would be gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!
Without knowing more details it is difficult to advise, but if you ask the Guard before departure (if practicable; if not, approach them as early as possible) there is a good chance they'll say yes, if it's seen as reasonable.

If discretion is not shown, then it'll be a new ticket to the first calling point (if it was a multi-day Rover, it would be a new ticket to the first station regardless of whether the train called there or not)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It might be easier to buy a ticket to the next station along if its not expensive.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Many thanks to all of you for your replies. Fingers crossed that the train is a minute late but in the event that it's on time I'll try the old charm offensive and see what happens :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It might be easier to buy a ticket to the next station along if its not expensive.

In all honesty if I get cold feet over the next few days (I'll have various family members with me so I don't want to look stupid) I'll just drive a few extra minutes to the next station. However if I did that I would no longer be able to park for free which makes a bit of a difference as two cars are involved.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Many thanks to all of you for your replies. Fingers crossed that the train is a minute late but in the event that it's on time I'll try the old charm offensive and see what happens :)

Depends how the restriction is worded...A quick peruse of BRFares suggests most use the "Not valid on trains timed to depart before xx:xx" style wording, rather than "Not valid before xx:xx".

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In all honesty if I get cold feet over the next few days (I'll have various family members with me so I don't want to look stupid) I'll just drive a few extra minutes to the next station. However if I did that I would no longer be able to park for free which makes a bit of a difference as two cars are involved.

Ah yes. I must admit, my metrocard's got me out of a spot in this respect on a couple of occasions.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If we knew the Ranger in question we might be able to advise if there is an easement in place for the specific service you wish to catch. It is not uncommon for certain trains to be permitted even though they depart before the end of the restricted time.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Depends how the restriction is worded...A quick peruse of BRFares suggests most use the "Not valid on trains timed to depart before xx:xx" style wording, rather than "Not valid before xx:xx".

The website simply say's after 09.00 Monday to Fridays.
If we knew the Ranger in question we might be able to advise if there is an easement in place for the specific service you wish to catch. It is not uncommon for certain trains to be permitted even though they depart before the end of the restricted time.

OK that's a fair point. We are planning to use the Derbyshire Wayfarer and the train in question is the 08.59 from Belper to Derby.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah, that's better!

OK, the restriction of that particular ticket is based on the time of travel, rather than the time the train is booked to depart. So yes if it's a minute late you'd be OK.

As the service is only hourly, and as the train will be worked by an EMT conductor (not a mainline Train Manager; the conductors on the DMUs tend to be, on average, more customer-friendly in the experience of many people I know) I would be extremely surprised if discretion was not shown, if you ask nicely!

And if they say no, it's £2.40 for a single to Duffield.

LowLevel

Established Member
I am quite sure you will be fine. It's a pretty common occurrence.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Ah, that's better!

OK, the restriction of that particular ticket is based on the time of travel, rather than the time the train is booked to depart. So yes if it's a minute late you'd be OK.

As the service is only hourly, and as the train will be worked by an EMT conductor (not a mainline Train Manager; the conductors on the DMUs tend to be, on average, more customer-friendly in the experience of many people I know) I would be extremely surprised if discretion was not shown, if you ask nicely!

And if they say no, it's £2.40 for a single to Duffield.

OK many thanks for this :) I'm hoping that a very cute 5 year old Grandson might also help matters not to mention visitors from overseas :)

Thanks again. Richmond Commuter.
I am quite sure you will be fine. It's a pretty common occurrence.

OK. If by any chance you are our guard look out for two adults with German accents and that will be my son and his wife!

CheesyChips

A long time ago I routinely used a West Midlands Daytripper not valid before 9.30am on a train that departed at 9.28am. I wasn't given any bother.

Most, if not all train guards are actual people and will excercise rational thought with this kind of thing :)

Master29

Established Member
I have used them some 15 minutes before 09:00 many times and had my rover checked. The TM said nothing on all these occasions. Like everyone else says, discretion perhaps is the key.

richw

Veteran Member
Is there any easement as an hourly service? On the Ride Cornwall ticket not valid before 9, there is an easement in place to allow use on the 0853 from my local station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some TOCs are proactive in introducing easements , including time restriction easements, for a variety of products, so yes they do exist . Some may be published in the conditions of the product and some may be more informal local arrangements that may be published at stations, or in some cases simply posted on the notice board in a mess room!

Status
Not open for further replies.