• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DAY RETURN FARE Koln to Aachen

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have just been checking times and prices on the DB website for a daytrip from Koln to Aachen, it gives the times but no prices, does anyone know if it's cheaper just to buy a return there for that journey, or is there infact some type of local day rover type ticket, that may allow me to travel further afield in that region?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loco2.com does show a single fare of 19 Euros. However it only shows Thalys and ICE trains.

The local trains may be cheaper.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Loco2.com does show a single fare of 19 Euros. However it only shows Thalys and ICE trains.
The local trains may be cheaper.

I did this trip a couple of years ago in reverse (Aachen-Köln), and the single fare was €16.20 on the RE trains.

There are fare details on this web site and it quotes €17 (single).
http://busse-und-bahnen.nrw.de/fahrplanauskunft/

It could be a bit easier to find ticket info...

Last edited:

Veteran Member
I did this trip a couple of years ago in reverse (Aachen-Köln), and the single fare was €16.20 on the RE trains.

There are fare details on this web site and it quotes €17 (single).
http://busse-und-bahnen.nrw.de/fahrplanauskunft/

It could be a bit easier to find ticket info...

And a Tagesticket (all day travelcard) at €28.50 (€41 for a group of up to 5), not valid on ICE.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for the answers here, looks like there are a few choices, I can decide when I get there, if it's clear weather and not too cold I may explore a little further.

sarahj

Established Member
Aachen has a great model shop (if you like that kind of thing) right in the center. Their crimbo market is good, not as large and as tacky as the Koln one. Well worth a day trip.

https://www.huenerbein.de/

davetheguard

Established Member
No, he is buried at Aix la Chapelle. Karl der Große is interred at Aachen. :p

I first came across this linguistic divide back in the 80's. Travelling on a Oostende to Koeln loco-hauled train, the rear couple of (Belgian) coaches were due to be detached at Aachen, with the front part of the train then continuing on to Koeln.

I was in one of these Belgian coaches. The Belgian Guard wanted to know if I was travelling to Aix la Chapelle; which was not a place I'd ever heard of. "Oh no" I said, "I'm going to Aachen." The Guard smiled slightly to himself........

Groningen

Established Member
Nicest thing of Aachen is that one can also go to the Netherlands (Vaals, Maastricht, Kerkrade and Heerlen) and Belgium with Kelmis.

And do not forget the Euregio ticket; it is a day ticket:
which allows you to use public transport (train, tram and bus) within the Euregio (Liege-Limburg-Aachen and Maastricht) for 1 day
price: € 16,50
validity: for 1 person (Monday to Friday) and for small groups to a maximum of 2 adults and 3 children (on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays)
on sale in the stations for the routes involved

davetheguard

Established Member
Thank you for this tip, I shall try to visit that model shop whilst I am there. :D

And I'd recommend Zum Goldenen Einhorn (Golden Unicorn) in the Market Place right opposite the town hall. Very good food and I liked the Dunkel (dark) beer a lot.

We've been back several times.

sarahj

Established Member
And I'd recommend Zum Goldenen Einhorn (Golden Unicorn) in the Market Place right opposite the town hall. Very good food and I liked the Dunkel (dark) beer a lot.

Yes, that and the golden swan right next door are very good. Had some great meals there before going and melting my credit card at the model shop. The steaks are to die for and once had this plate of ribs out of this world.:D

http://www.schwan-ac.de/?file=files/cto_layout/PDFs/GoldenerSchwan_Speisekarte_NEU1_2015.pdf

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I luik it :)-

At least you were not on your way to Rijsel. (I bet I spelt that wrong)

Last edited:

Capybara

Agreed. And very friendly.

dutchflyer

Established Member
This is now a VERbund-fare, from VRS, as such this ticket/single, includes local transpo at both sides. And if using single, has to be bought just before start of trip, both ways apart.
The EUregio is now 18 eur and goes to 18.50 per 1/1. On sat/sun/hols it is valid for 2 persons. The you need to buy 2 singles Koln-D"uren, and thus get of at D"uren for the return, likely to on the first trip, as its only for sale in the area. But you could use it onward to Liege-Hasselt and come back by bus via Maastricht-Aachen, if so wanted.
But the local 1 day ''Schone tag NRW'' is likely the best buy for this.
There will also be the odd coach/Fernbus, but in K these now start from the airport BUSstation. Likely as cheap as 5 eur.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have just come back from my trip, I bought a ticket for 31.00 Euro that allowed me to do Koln/Aachen/Dusseldorf/Koln, I could have done more miles I think, but I had to be back in Koln for a late afternoon function.

I did see the Christmas Market in Aachen which was less busy than those in Koln and I did go to the Model Shop in market place in Aachen, which was very good. I did see the Unicorn Pub mentioned above but did not have enough time to that on this occasion.

sarahj

Established Member
Its a good shop, missed my visit there this year, will be back next year.:)

Hophead

Established Member
Regarding the Aachen model shop (Hunerbein), they've put themselves on Streetview (so you can visit from the comfort of your pc)

kelv

Once travelled up from Berchtesgaden to Aachen on a wochenende (?) ticket, got 1st train & arrived there on the last, all regional express trains of which we got on about 12 and for the price of 12marks I think it was, 2 of us on the ticket but I think it was valid for 5.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
€40 these days but if there's more than 1 person and it's on a weekend ?
http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/schoenes-wochenende-ticket.shtml

fandroid

Established Member
In the early days of Eurostar, the connection to Koeln was a Belgian eurocity train That started at Oostende. I remember being amazed that the automated announcements were perfectly attuned to the linguistic boundaries we passed. Starting in Bruxelles/Brussel with French & Flemish, then Flemish only, then French only, then German. We only had to wait long enough for Aachen to be mentioned in recognisable form. I miss those trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.