• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Travelcard Validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question (can't find it myself).

If I bought a Day Travelcard from somewhere outside the London Fares Area to London Zones 1-6, is the travelcard element still valid after the return rail journey has been completed?

Reason I ask is that a friend wants to travel from a station close to London for work during the day and use the tube, go back home, then return back into London in the evening (by taxi) but still continue using the tube.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many people use such tickets to get buses from stations that are outside the zonal area but have TfL buses (e.g. Potters Bar, Epsom etc) after they have used their return part of the out-boundary element of the Travelcard. There's certainly no rule that says the Travelcard expires once you have completed the return part of the out-boundary element of your Travelcard!

causton

Established Member
Indeed, at Potters Bar there is a sign up stating that if the person wants to use the Travelcard after they have completed their journey they should ask to be let through manually. I doubt FCC would have put that up without checking it was right first - as they could otherwise profit from selling people a second one and saying the first one was now invalid :D

In short, ask to be let through the manual barriers on the way back home the first time when outside the travelcard zones just in case :)

34D

Established Member
In short, ask to be let through the manual barriers on the way back home the first time when outside the travelcard zones just in case :)

Just to make this a little clearer, he's saying the barrier may swallow your ticket after you've done the return journey.

A thought occurs - I see no reason why you couldn't do: buy ticket, do bus travel, do tube/rail travel within the zones, do bus travel, do outward journey from home station to BZ6, do tube/rail travel within the zones, do return journey from BZ6 to home stn, bus travel, etc etc.

A word of warning to anyone thinking that noone will notice two return journeys: the mag stripe gets encoded by the gateline, on-train RP can read the mag stripe, and you are at risk of a PF.

Brucey

Thanks for all the replies. Certainly good news.

Just to make this a little clearer, he's saying the barrier may swallow your ticket after you've done the return journey.
That was the main reason for my post. In the past, the barriers have always swallowed my travelcards.

A word of warning to anyone thinking that noone will notice two return journeys: the mag stripe gets encoded by the gateline, on-train RP can read the mag stripe, and you are at risk of a PF.
Or even prosecution as it is blatant fraud!

MarkyMarkD

Or even prosecution as it is blatant fraud!
I wouldn't say "blatant" fraud.

Anyone who has lived within the main London zones, used Travelcards for years, and then moved outside the zones, would be perfectly logical in thinking that the ticket they buy outside the zones called a "one day travelcard" is the same as what they had when they lived inside the zones. In other words, it would allow limitless travel during that day, by either national rail or TFL services.

National Rail's own site doesn't use very sensible wording in describing the restriction, either:

Day Travelcard prices include the return fare to London plus travel in Zones 1-6.
It doesn't include "the return fare", it includes "one return journey" and that's what they should say.

David Goddard

Established Member
Good to see that there are notices advising passengers of this at stations. Barry Doe has advertised this continued validity a couple of times in Rail and it is always worth remembering. Just have to hope that gateline staff at all stations are aware of it, given the issued that some members have reported with retaining other tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.