• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

FlyingVixen

I thought I would let people know that I have passed the classroom stage of training! Got the results of the rules exam today! So happy! Hopefully it won’t be long before people hear! The trainers do a lot of other things. They do ground staff training, they have training courses they need to do themselves, plus they need time off too so be patient! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lima_Golf

I thought I would let people know that I have passed the classroom stage of training! Got the results of the rules exam today! So happy! Hopefully it won’t be long before people hear! The trainers do a lot of other things. They do ground staff training, they have training courses they need to do themselves, plus they need time off too so be patient! :D
Indeed they do! It’s a pass for me too! I guess I’m a lucky one in that I only applied last March and finally passed out today. All I’ll say to everyone in this thread is don’t get impatient. There’s literally thousands that apply for each role. Yes it’s took me less than a year from application to passing training school but equally it’s took some people 3 years. Especially with covid. The hubs are pretty full still at most locations but the recruitment team recruit based on future forecasts. Stick with it hope to see some of you on the iron road at some point. As for Amy top class colleague and has been great sharing the experience with you.

Indeed they do! It’s a pass for me too! I guess I’m a lucky one in that I only applied last March and finally passed out today. All I’ll say to everyone in this thread is don’t get impatient. There’s literally thousands that apply for each role. Yes it’s took me less than a year from application to passing training school but equally it’s took some people 3 years. Especially with covid. The hubs are pretty full still at most locations but the recruitment team recruit based on future forecasts. Stick with it hope to see some of you on the iron road at some point. As for Amy top class colleague and has been great sharing the experience with you.
May I add all other 9 trainees were top class people it’s been a pleasure.

Last edited:

SuperS16v

Congratulations both! Really good news and great to see you both progressing.

Thanks Amy for putting the work and time into your blog, I’m an avid follower!

FlyingVixen

Congratulations both! Really good news and great to see you both progressing.

Thanks Amy for putting the work and time into your blog, I’m an avid follower!

Thank you!! Also thank you for watching the videos! I’ll keep trying my best to keep them going!! :D

M.o

How did the people on course get on with rules? All passed?

Last edited:

Traindriver40

I got my course start date today! finally after 3 years of trying i have a start date.

Anyone else had a start date for next month?

Traindriver40

Congrats mate! 3 years since you applied? Or have you applied previously and failed?
Thank you everyone,

3 years of applying and trying to become a train driver, i have been waiting in 3 talent pools and finally get my start. I applied for DB in April 2022 approx

FlyingVixen

Does anyone know if you can change locations durinfg training? Been gold my course starts in may at didcot

Are the videos in this thread?
Nope! On YouTube! :D

Thank you everyone,

3 years of applying and trying to become a train driver, i have been waiting in 3 talent pools and finally get my start. I applied for DB in April 2022 approx
Will the training be at Toton?

Last edited:

FlyingVixen

Please do! I hope it gives an insight! There isn’t much I could share! Plus I need to do one for the last week! Just not got round to it! Haha!

SuperS16v

Hi everyone, I just logged onto the DB portal and my application is no longer showing on there. It’s just disappeared. I am waiting for the DMI with them. Is this normal procedure that it removes after the assessment center?

ThePeakNed

Hi everyone, I just logged onto the DB portal and my application is no longer showing on there. It’s just disappeared. I am waiting for the DMI with them. Is this normal procedure that it removes after the assessment center?
I had the same issue. It’s a GDPR thing. They delete accounts when they reach 6 months old, regardless of your status. Set up a fresh account and just email them to say you’ve done it. Your application won’t come back, but you’ll still be in their system.

SuperS16v

I had the same issue. It’s a GDPR thing. They delete accounts when they reach 6 months old, regardless of your status. Set up a fresh account and just email them to say you’ve done it. Your application won’t come back, but you’ll still be in their system.

Ah brilliant thanks, that puts my mind at ease. I have dropped them an email just to check!

Stigy

Established Member
A bit of a random one, but what do DB pay once fully qualified?

RAO_16

Congratulations mate. Must be a relief

Does anyone know if you can change locations durinfg training? Been gold my course starts in may at didcot

Are the videos in this thread?
Where you based? Are you hoping to go to Toton instead? What date does Didcot start?

Last edited:

UnknownG

Congratulations mate. Must be a relief

Where you based? Are you hoping to go to Toton instead? What date does Didcot start?
Im glad you managed to understand that message tired eyes and thumbs that day. Im starting at dicot on 15th may. I was wondering if you can change depot that you have applied for as in the early stages of my application i got offered acton but wasnt willing to move to london

ThePeakNed

Im glad you managed to understand that message tired eyes and thumbs that day. Im starting at dicot on 15th may. I was wondering if you can change depot that you have applied for as in the early stages of my application i got offered acton but wasnt willing to move to london
I’ve emailed about a dozen times to ask if I can move my talent pool position to another depot and currently I’m banging my head against a brick wall.

Blood / stone. Pulling / teeth. The euphemisms go on.

jacey

I’ve emailed about a dozen times to ask if I can move my talent pool position to another depot and currently I’m banging my head against a brick wall.

Blood / stone. Pulling / teeth. The euphemisms go on.
Usually you would need to do another dmi with the managers of that depot, but i would be careful what you wish for its a fortunate position to be in a talent pool, asking them to move you may not go down well.

ThePeakNed

Usually you would need to do another dmi with the managers of that depot, but i would be careful what you wish for its a fortunate position to be in a talent pool, asking them to move you may not go down well.
It’s because I’ve moved house, and it’s thrown me out of the 1 hour travelling time for the depot I originally applied for.

Wasn’t putting my life on hold any longer. I don’t mind being interviewed again and I’ve said that to them, but no response at any rate.

They did say when I originally enquired about the possibility of moving depots that they would consider it, but I dare say not much has been considered.

NorthernTech

It’s because I’ve moved house, and it’s thrown me out of the 1 hour travelling time for the depot I originally applied for.

Wasn’t putting my life on hold any longer. I don’t mind being interviewed again and I’ve said that to them, but no response at any rate.

They did say when I originally enquired about the possibility of moving depots that they would consider it, but I dare say not much has been considered.
Where are you nearer too now?