• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mabs

Wow its a long wait. I applied for Acton and I was told they are desperate for drivers at Acton.

I don't Really mind waiting as i need to work minimum two years for TFL to preserve my pension or il lose the employer contributions. Il be happy knowing im in the talent pool.

ThePeakNed

Wow its a long wait. I applied for Acton and I was told they are desperate for drivers at Acton.

I don't Really mind waiting as i need to work minimum two years for TFL to preserve my pension or il lose the employer contributions. Il be happy knowing im in the talent pool.
They’re desperate everywhere apparently from what I’m told. How true that really is, I don’t know.

Mabs

I can't take this waiting around. I emailed the regional manager to chase it up for me with HR.

I'd rather find out if it's a Yes or a No.

If Yes then it's time to Celebrate.

If No then it's time to move on.

SuperS16v

Attended the assessment centre. Unfortunately the computers were down so I could only complete the stage 1 written tests. Happy to report I passed and will be doing the computer tests and interview in a couple of weeks.

SuperS16v

Successfully passed the rest of the assessment center. Over the moon and feeling confident for the DMI! How long did people wait for the DMI after the assessment center?

DM1994

Successfully passed the rest of the assessment center. Over the moon and feeling confident for the DMI! How long did people wait for the DMI after the assessment center?
And on the opposite end of the scale I passed my assessments last June, got told in August to keep an eye on my emails for an interview date as they were booking me one and then never heard anything and they've not replied to a couple of emails enquiring haha, shelved it now I'm just assuming either something went wrong or they weren't interested!

ThePeakNed

And on the opposite end of the scale I passed my assessments last June, got told in August to keep an eye on my emails for an interview date as they were booking me one and then never heard anything and they've not replied to a couple of emails enquiring haha, shelved it now I'm just assuming either something went wrong or they weren't interested!
Yeah I’m in the talent pool and have heard a few rumours that don’t fill me with confidence.

FlyingVixen

Thank you! How long after being successful were you offered a job? I hope the training is going well!
The day I got the email to say I was placed in the talent pool in august, I was given dates to choose for my medical which I attended in September. I was then given a course date shortly after that for November! It happened pretty quickly. The training is going really well so far. On to rules at the moment which is bashing my head! Hopefully I’ll get there! Fingers crossed for your DMI!!

TonyBrides

Yeah they gave me 4 days notice for an interview, I couldn’t make it. I had work arrangements I couldn’t get out of.

Sent an email nothing back. So I’m guessing my application was binned. No reply to the follow up email I sent. Not what I would call professional.

Fortunately it doesn’t matter as I stated with another FOC. But I’d have been gutted if I hadn’t secured another job.

DM1994

Yeah I’m in the talent pool and have heard a few rumours that don’t fill me with confidence.
I don't know what constitutes as the Talent Pool, they told me on the day I'd passed and would be placed in a pool, then I'd have an interview and would either get a job or not. Whereas like Amy has said above this, she had an interview and got an email confirming the place. I've spoken to a mate recently apparently there is a bit of a dilemma with recruitment so I'm not expecting anything for now, if I hear something that'll be great but if not, I've not lost anything plus they told me I'd be in said pool for up to 5 years.

Yeah they gave me 4 days notice for an interview, I couldn’t make it. I had work arrangements I couldn’t get out of.

Sent an email nothing back. So I’m guessing my application was binned. No reply to the follow up email I sent. Not what I would call professional.

Fortunately it doesn’t matter as I stated with another FOC. But I’d have been gutted if I hadn’t secured another job.
Yeah, I saw your response, from what I've gathered the recruitment department is only ran by one or two people so I can imagine they're rushed off their feet but I think I've sent 4 emails, first one I got a response saying they were pencilling me in for an interview and then radio silence, so I haven't a clue but glad you're sorted congrats! Still says application in process so we'll see!

TonyBrides

I don't know what constitutes as the Talent Pool, they told me on the day I'd passed and would be placed in a pool, then I'd have an interview and would either get a job or not. Whereas like Amy has said above this, she had an interview and got an email confirming the place. I've spoken to a mate recently apparently there is a bit of a dilemma with recruitment so I'm not expecting anything for now, if I hear something that'll be great but if not, I've not lost anything plus they told me I'd be in said pool for up to 5 years.

Yeah, I saw your response, from what I've gathered the recruitment department is only ran by one or two people so I can imagine they're rushed off their feet but I think I've sent 4 emails, first one I got a response saying they were pencilling me in for an interview and then radio silence, so I haven't a clue but glad you're sorted congrats! Still says application in process so we'll see!

It is what it is. There are that many people who are interested that they can be like this.

I got FL at Crewe but DB at Warrington would half my commute. So I was interested. I’ve done 17 years in the Police. FL were very positive, I felt wanted after my interview. DB wanted people to be depot drivers first, FL put me strait to mainline. So maybe it was the best move for me. Who knows in 3-5 years I might end up at DB Warrington.

NorthernTech

It is what it is. There are that many people who are interested that they can be like this.

I got FL at Crewe but DB at Warrington would half my commute. So I was interested. I’ve done 17 years in the Police. FL were very positive, I felt wanted after my interview. DB wanted people to be depot drivers first, FL put me strait to mainline. So maybe it was the best move for me. Who knows in 3-5 years I might end up at DB Warrington.
Congratulations on the success for FL. As for DB, they have been starting most trainees as Junior Driver (mainline) at the depots that have yard drivers but require a full mainline course to drive on the network rail infrastructure. I believe most have been told that they will continue straight through the junior handling hours (75hrs) and just continue to the full hours, simulator assessment, and route learning to be signed off as a Mainline Driver (full salary obviously then too).

FlyingVixen

I’m going to be at Warrington and I have recently been informed I’ll be going straight to mainline even if it is considered a junior base. Best news I got really! It does depend on the depot because not all will have junior bases. Most go straight to mainline.

TonyBrides

I’m going to be at Warrington and I have recently been informed I’ll be going straight to mainline even if it is considered a junior base. Best news I got really! It does depend on the depot because not all will have junior bases. Most go straight to mainline.

That’s good for you. You interviewed the week I couldn’t make it. So any decision was out of my hands anyway.

But there was no maybe with FL. They had Shunt Driver roles and Mainline roles. I was offered Mainline. I suspect I would have probably take FL HH knowing it was Mainline, rather than coming to DB and just hoping I would get it soon. I was taking a £16k pay cut leaving the Police to the Junior role, so getting to mainline was a requirement for a pay rise.

Anyway it worked out for you, and as I said in a years time when we both have our TDL the worlds our oyster.

Just landing the first job where someone will train us was the hard part.

NorthernTech

That’s good for you. You interviewed the week I couldn’t make it. So any decision was out of my hands anyway.

But there was no maybe with FL. They had Shunt Driver roles and Mainline roles. I was offered Mainline. I suspect I would have probably take FL HH knowing it was Mainline, rather than coming to DB and just hoping I would get it soon. I was taking a £16k pay cut leaving the Police to the Junior role, so getting to mainline was a requirement for a pay rise.

Anyway it worked out for you, and as I said in a years time when we both have our TDL the worlds our oyster.

I’m not sure what Freightliner pay for their trainees but I can’t imagine it’s much different to DB, and if you start as a junior and get the hours given right through to being fully signed off, then moving to full salary will only depend on how quickly you get your hours in. If you are still considering DB, and not yet started or committed at Freightliner, I’d drop HR an email and refer to your offer with Freightliner. You should at least get an answer one way or another. Half the commuting distance each way would no doubt help financially also..

TonyBrides

I’m not sure what Freightliner pay for their trainees but I can’t imagine it’s much different to DB, and if you start as a junior and get the hours given right through to being fully signed off, then moving to full salary will only depend on how quickly you get your hours in. If you are still considering DB, and not yet started or committed at Freightliner, I’d drop HR an email and refer to your offer with Freightliner. You should at least get an answer one way or another. Half the commuting distance each way would no doubt help financially also..

Pays very similar mate. But if I came to DB they could say unfortunately you’re not going to mainline and I could spend 12-18 as a depot driver. So unless it was a guaranteed it wouldn’t be worth it.

My last shift in the Police is next Friday. I start my training with FL on the 13th Feb. So as I have already resigned I am too far along to email DB again. But they didn’t reply to my email in November so I wouldn’t expect a reply to a email sent now.

NorthernTech

Pays very similar mate. But if I came to DB they could say unfortunately you’re not going to mainline and I could spend 12-18 as a depot driver. So unless it was a guaranteed it wouldn’t be worth it.

My last shift in the Police is next Friday. I start my training with FL on the 13th Feb. So as I have already resigned I am too far along to email DB again. But they didn’t reply to my email in November so I wouldn’t expect a reply to a email sent now.
Fair point Tony, but at least you’ve been in a position whereby you managed to secure one of the positions you were in line for. Best of luck mate, Freightliner should be a great job too!

TonyBrides

Fair point Tony, but at least you’ve been in a position whereby you managed to secure one of the positions you were in line for. Best of luck mate, Freightliner should be a great job too!
I agree mate. If I hadn’t been offered one, I’d have been gutted.

road606

Hopefully you don't make it known you'll be looking to jump ship asap when you land at Crewe :)

TonyBrides

Hopefully you don't make it known you'll be looking to jump ship asap when you land at Crewe :)

I told them in interview I would prefer the depot closer to home. They were fine. I didn’t fail the interview for saying it. It’s normal to want to reduce traveling time and cost. They said once your 12 months post qualified you can apply to transfer. That said I might not want too.

But alas no just like I did years ago when I joined the Police. I took my first job with a smile and did it for years. Once I could I move on, and to a different role I did. I imagine the railway is the same.

Last edited:

Traindriver40

I have been told more courses planned for March or May although it depends on regional requirement as to who will be on it.

bengley

Established Member

Nobody at Warrington does depot driving. We don't have depot drivers - the two daily yard turns are in the regular main line drivers' links.

TonyBrides

Nobody at Warrington does depot driving. We don't have depot drivers - the two daily yard turns are in the regular main line drivers' links.

Really. Well it doesn’t matter anyway. I couldn’t make the DMI as I was working. They didn’t offer me another. I accepted and I start on Monday with FL. So I’m not really going to dwell on it. Wasn’t to be. It’s not like I had a choice in the matter. I was more talking about the fact that my emails were blanked after replying.

I'm just awaiting a course date now. I emailed recently as i have s holiday coming up and they said they'll be intouch in the coming months so hopefully something soon. Jr's just a slow process but it does seem to be moving. My medical was in December.