• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThePeakNed

All it does is cut out them sifting who’s already got psychometrics and who hasn’t. I imagine much of the process will remain the same, IE - they’ll still have to interview people.

Mabs

well yes, which saves a lot of time and money; the whole point
I applied earlier today.

I passed all the assessments with GWR. Will I still have to do the online assessments or go straight to Interview if I pass.

nb2001uk

I applied earlier today.

I passed all the assessments with GWR. Will I still have to do the online assessments or go straight to Interview if I pass.
Im not sure if DB do online assessments but if not then yes straight to interview providing that your assessments are valid.

Mabs

Im not sure if DB do online assessments but if not then yes straight to interview providing that your assessments are valid.
I hope its straight to Interview.

I passed them 12 months ago including the MMI but failed the DMI online.

I think I had a decent DMI but could have been better. It just wasn't my day.

I am applying to everything I find now.

SWR recognise my results for 3 years and GWR 5 years. I've confirmed with both companies.

NorthernTech

Did it not say that they are looking for people who have passed the psychometric tests within the last 6 months? Although I know sometimes they make exceptions and it’s definitely worth applying anyway.

nb2001uk

Did it not say that they are looking for people who have passed the psychometric tests within the last 6 months? Although I know sometimes they make exceptions and it’s definitely worth applying anyway.
thats what I thought but apprently I am wrong according to the other thread. However I was told my application was declined because my assessments were 12 months old

Applepie356

Doesn’t explicitly say a timeframe regarding the psychometric tests.

Conflicting information regarding the time frame as there have been some people in this thread who have skipped past the assessments with psychometric passes that are 6+ months old while others stated they needed to redo them.

NorthernTech

thats what I thought but apprently I am wrong according to the other thread. However I was told my application was declined because my assessments were 12 months old
Seems strange.. The advert doesn’t stipulate a timeframe for test passes, but if they have declined your application due to the passes being 12 months old, this would fit in with DB’s ‘usual’ process of 6 months or less. There does seem to be the occasional outlier but in the main I think they look for 6 months or less.

Doesn’t explicitly say a timeframe regarding the psychometric tests.

Conflicting information regarding the time frame as there have been some people in this thread who have skipped past the assessments with psychometric passes that are 6+ months old while others stated they needed to redo them.
That’s why I asked ‘did it not say that….etc’ I hadn’t read the ad fully as I’ve progressed with a previous application but I believe they confirmed previously their 6 month rule regarding the test passes. I know there have been exceptions to this, I presume when they have needed applicants for a particular depot they have had to widen their fields to suit, at a guess.

Mabs

Seems strange.. The advert doesn’t stipulate a timeframe for test passes, but if they have declined your application due to the passes being 12 months old, this would fit in with DB’s ‘usual’ process of 6 months or less. There does seem to be the occasional outlier but in the main I think they look for 6 months or less.

That’s why I asked ‘did it not say that….etc’ I hadn’t read the ad fully as I’ve progressed with a previous application but I believe they confirmed previously their 6 month rule regarding the test passes. I know there have been exceptions to this, I presume when they have needed applicants for a particular depot they have had to widen their fields to suit, at a guess.
Looks like I'll be getting a rejection email soon.

It's not good that the railway isn't united on assessment results. What's the point of having some companies looking for 6 months, some 3 years and some upto 5 years.

Last edited:

nb2001uk

To be honest from my experience. it's seemingly harder to get the job whilst holding full enhanced psychometric passes than it is if you was starting from scratch.

I start my course tomorrow! Got to the hotel today! It’s now starting to seem very real!
Did you get a car too? Interested to know as some focs provide some make you take train

FlyingVixen

To be honest from my experience. it's seemingly harder to get the job whilst holding full enhanced psychometric passes than it is if you was starting from scratch.

Did you get a car too? Interested to know as some focs provide some make you take train
Really? Which ones provide a car?! I drove myself to the hotel. I could have taken a train if I wanted to and they would have sorted the tickets out. Makes more sense for me to drive and claim mileage.

nb2001uk

Really? Which ones provide a car?! I drove myself to the hotel. I could have taken a train if I wanted to and they would have sorted the tickets out. Makes more sense for me to drive and claim mileage.
FL. Seems like the rest make you take train or your own car....even more gutting that my job offer was withdrawn by FL

NorthernTech

Much rather take the train than drive. You can use that time to revise, there’s a lot of that to be done.
This depends on how much gear you need to take with you. As well as the classroom training folder/logbook etc you have company uniform for the week, casual clothing for the week, and then if you are likely to exercise while there then you have all that to carry too. Easy in a car, not so easy on the train if it’s busy… Each to their own I’d say.

FlyingVixen

Definitely each to their own. I don’t travel light anyway so car is always best! Plus, a woman travelling alone with a lot of luggage isn’t great. I like to go directly from A to B with no walking and lugging luggage around. Car will always be best for me. I’d rather revise in my own space not whilst watching others around me. I can’t switch off in that environment.

Carl98k

This depends on how much gear you need to take with you. As well as the classroom training folder/logbook etc you have company uniform for the week, casual clothing for the week, and then if you are likely to exercise while there then you have all that to carry too. Easy in a car, not so easy on the train if it’s busy… Each to their own I’d say.
Most of us manage on the train to be fair. I have one A4 folder and the rest is on the issued iPad. I take enough uniform for the week and gym/casual clothes. I leave my helmet, boots and orange clothes in the locker. Yes each to their own like you say, I just find it less hassle as once you’re on (book a seat) you’re sorted.

TonyBrides

I go in as a junior driver initially and then within a year, I should go mainline. Not sure really! Depends! Warrington is a junior depot so it depends who is in front of me!

Hopefully it not too long for you. I was offered an interview when you went, but I couldn’t make it with work commitments.

FlyingVixen

Hopefully it not too long for you. I was offered an interview when you went, but I couldn’t make it with work commitments.
I hope not! People have said that some have gone straight to mainline instead! I have asked the question and they have said that usually no one waits more than 18 months to go mainline. Oh no! Have you got another interview booked in?

TonyBrides

I hope not! People have said that some have gone straight to mainline instead! I have asked the question and they have said that usually no one waits more than 18 months to go mainline. Oh no! Have you got another interview booked in?

No she didn’t reply to my email. I was in the talent pool for FL when I got the invite anyway. Fortunately I got my start date of 13th Feb confirmed a few weeks ago. It’s also strait to Mainline so it all worked out. Warrington is however 15 mins for me and I’ll be 50 mins away in Crewe for FL so who knows how the future will play out.

1867Blue

I was told on my course, that it’s not unheard of for people to make the jump up from junior to mainline while they’re actually on the classroom course. It’s the same course for junior and mainline

FlyingVixen

I was told on my course, that it’s not unheard of for people to make the jump up from junior to mainline while they’re actually on the classroom course. It’s the same course for junior and mainline
Yeah that’s what I heard! So I’m hoping it will happen for me! That would be awesome if that’s the case! We will see! I’ll ask at the depot on my week there and see what’s going to happen with me.

kmck96

Uniform order in hopefully not long now January course apparently
What depot you applied for? I'm waiting to hear back re a start date after passing medical back in August
Is your course down south or up in Scotland?