• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

RAO_16

Sound. I'll get onto them next week to get a few more bits and pieces. Had the official offer through, start date etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

genziu8181

Hi all. Just a quick question. I had interview with DB Cargo and has been offered a role starting soon- date already agreed, however I have been also offered job with GWR but this one requires relocation. What did attract you all to DB Cargo(FOC) instead TOC?

Train_manager

100% GWR. Safer reliable company. Plus RPS pension, free travel, higher basic salary. Better t&c.

If freight was only option then freight but you got TOC. Go for TOC

Mr_Resist0r

100% GWR. Safer reliable company. Plus RPS pension, free travel, higher basic salary. Better t&c.

If freight was only option then freight but you got TOC. Go for TOC
I couldn't agree more, DB is at the lower end of the pay scale compared to other FOCs. GWR is the way to go.

1867Blue

DB Cargo have the best terms out of any FOC plus considerably more holiday days and annual leave. 14 hour minimum rest between every shift. Many of my pals have come from pass to freight and said it’s best decision they’ve made.

You’re fortunate to be in this situation I’m sure whatever you chose you will be happy. Good luck.

SuperS16v

Hi all. Just a quick question. I had interview with DB Cargo and has been offered a role starting soon- date already agreed, however I have been also offered job with GWR but this one requires relocation. What did attract you all to DB Cargo(FOC) instead TOC?

Congrats on the offer! May I ask what depot?

Train_manager

DB Cargo have the best terms out of any FOC plus considerably more holiday days and annual leave. 14 hour minimum rest between every shift. Many of my pals have come from pass to freight and said it’s best decision they’ve made.

You’re fortunate to be in this situation I’m sure whatever you chose you will be happy. Good luck.
But the lowest salaried FOC.

Did your pals move before or after they closed the RPS ???

NorthernTech

But the lowest salaried FOC.

Did your pals move before or after they closed the RPS ???
It’s closed to new entrants, those who are already in it get to keep being in it. You could have someone start now new to the railway and get a DC pension with fairly low employer contributions and then someone join a month later in the same position but already works on the railway so has an RPS pension, so the company will then pay enhanced rate into their pension… A bit of a kick in the stones to work alongside someone who gets a better package than you but started after you did!

Train_manager

It’s closed to new entrants, those who are already in it get to keep being in it. You could have someone start now new to the railway and get a DC pension with fairly low employer contributions and then someone join a month later in the same position but already works on the railway so has an RPS pension, so the company will then pay enhanced rate into their pension… A bit of a kick in the stones to work alongside someone who gets a better package than you but started after you did!
That is completely false information.

The DB cargo RPS is closed to all new employee. Including existing railway staff that join DB cargo from a different company.

Your can't transfer an existing RPS penison to DB cargo. You will be given the same basic DC scheme as everyone else.

Hence my question.

Lenny_1986

The DB cargo RPS is closed to all new employee. Including existing railway staff that join DB cargo from a different company.

Your can't transfer an existing RPS penison to DB cargo. You will be given the same basic DC scheme as everyone else.

Hence my question.
I was not aware that Qualified Drivers couldn’t now transfer over to RPS with DB.
With no final salary scheme they will really struggle to retain newly Qualified Drivers and also struggle to recruit already Qualified Drivers.

NorthernTech

Hence my question.
This is not ‘completely false information’.. My course last year had a mix of starters, those who were from elsewhere with RPS and internal transfers (shunters etc) also on the scheme stayed in the RPS, the rest had to start a DC scheme. This may have changed since then.

Train_manager

This is not ‘completely false information’.. My course last year had a mix of starters, those who were from elsewhere with RPS and internal transfers (shunters etc) also on the scheme stayed in the RPS, the rest had to start a DC scheme. This may have changed since then.
New starters can't transfer there RPS fact. Because it's closed. Ask your CC rep.

Existing staff/shunters who started after 2013 ish and in RPS are capped(16k ish) at CPi when they passed out as main drivers -fact.

Junior drivers capped 20k ish. When passed out.

Hence why most have left.

I was not aware that Qualified Drivers couldn’t now transfer over to RPS with DB.
With no final salary scheme they will really struggle to retain newly Qualified Drivers and also struggle to recruit already Qualified Drivers.
Yep. Why most leave after there PQA.

Lenny_1986

New starters can't transfer there RPS fact. Because it's closed. Ask your CC rep.

Existing staff/shunters who started after 2013 ish and in RPS are capped(16k ish) at CPi when they passed out as main drivers -fact.

Junior drivers capped 20k ish. When passed out.

Hence why most have left.

Yep. Why most leave after there PQA.
I’m capped on about 30k. A full final salary pension with another company is definitely tempting, plus free/discounted rail travel, better basic salary. To be honest I can’t really find any con’s to leaving

Last edited:

I couldn't agree more, DB is at the lower end of the pay scale compared to other FOCs. GWR is the way to go.
Db may be at the lower end but it’s for a 30.66 hour week rather than a 35 hour week. If you work it out pro rata it’s very similar.

Last edited:

Train_manager

I’m capped on about 30k. A full final salary pension with another company is definitely tempting, plus free/discounted rail travel, better basic salary. To be honest I can’t really find any con’s to leaving
And then you subtract current state pension which is 10k ish. So final salary is based 20k ish as previously stated. Less for ex shunter.

Db may be at the lower end but it’s for a 30.66 hour week rather than a 35 hour week. If you work it out pro rata it’s very similar. Also take into account that the op would need to relocate to join GWR. Having worked FOC then TOC and recently returned to FOC I know which I’d prefer, obviously dependant on depots but I left a toc where I was working approximately 3 weekends out of 4 to 1 in 4.
But what does the op want to do after passing out? Move to pass?

Plus with DB. You got a 3 hour movement window on a B and C jobs. So 3am start or 9pm start. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Train_manager

He could move to a pass locally instead of relocating maybe?
Lots of booked jobs at DB so rare to get moved that far. Not working practically every weekend more than makes up for it anyway.
Yes agree to a point. Not that rare..

W/S does suck that's 24 hour available on either a Saturday or Sunday.

But each to the own.

genziu8181

Thank you all for all the infos. It's so hard to make decision. I have just passed medical with GWR for Plymouth and have one set with DB Cargo at the begining of September. Still can't make up my mind

anglian96

Thank you all for all the infos. It's so hard to make decision. I have just passed medical with GWR for Plymouth and have one set with DB Cargo at the begining of September. Still can't make up my mind
As someone who already works for DB for the last 4 and abit years I would say go to GWR. DB are in abit of trouble at the moment losing contracts everywhere , pleading poverty whenever a payrise is on the talks and not only that no final salary pension for new starters. Gwr would be a no brainer for me. I'm moving to pass in October and tbh it can't come quick enough

1867Blue

As someone who already works for DB for the last 4 and abit years I would say go to GWR. DB are in abit of trouble at the moment losing contracts everywhere , pleading poverty whenever a payrise is on the talks and not only that no final salary pension for new starters. Gwr would be a no brainer for me. I'm moving to pass in October and tbh it can't come quick enough
Be interested to hear how you found the process of moving from DB to passenger if you don’t mind dropping me a dm

Go with GWR if you can. I had a medical for DB back in December and I'm still yet to be given a start date. I'd implore you not to put all you eggs in db basket. Go with whoever gives you the contract first. Best of luck

UnknownG

Go with GWR if you can. I had a medical for DB back in December and I'm still yet to be given a start date. I'd implore you not to put all you eggs in db basket. Go with whoever gives you the contract first. Best of luck
If you do get a start date with DB be prepared to do another medical because the one you did in December would have run out. This happened to me recently. I had to get a medical in quickly before starting my course.

If you do get a start date with DB be prepared to do another medical because the one you did in December would have run out. This happened to me recently. I had to get a medical in quickly before starting my course.
Yeah they said that. It's not a issue really just a faff. I've got 2 other talent pool places so hopefully one comes through

genziu8181

Hi. I did get a contract with DB Cargo in July before medical with a starting date in October. With GWR it was medical and then contract. The interesting thing is I did have completed both DB Cargo and GWR process same week, I did get 2 contracts starting same date in middle of October

MrFord

Hi. I did get a contract with DB Cargo in July before medical with a starting date in October. With GWR it was medical and then contract. The interesting thing is I did have completed both DB Cargo and GWR process same week, I did get 2 contracts starting same date in middle of October
Did you get a start date with dB Cargo?

MrFord

Yes, however I turned it down. I got GWR and DB Cargo offers both starting on 16th October... I have choosen GWR and I'm starting with them next week
Congratulations on that...Well done.

I had a start date of the 16th with DB Cargo - had a phone call yesterday and they have withdrawn my contract.

So now I'm unemployed.

Wish you all the best with GWR ...