• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

nithen

Congratulations on that...Well done.

I had a start date of the 16th with DB Cargo - had a phone call yesterday and they have withdrawn my contract.

So now I'm unemployed.

Wish you all the best with GWR ...
Looks like whole course is cancelled perhaps due to low work demand

@genziu8181, you are extremely lucky that you picked GWR and not DB because you'd have lost both.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boilinthebag

I feel for everyone affected by this decision, especially those who left a previous career who are now effectively unemployed just a few days before the course was due to start.

anglian96

I had a start date of the 16th with DB Cargo - had a phone call yesterday and they have withdrawn my contract.

So now I'm unemployed.

Is that even legal ?

MrFord

Is that even legal ?
Who knows...??

Gutted to say the least.

I know it's not my fault ,but I feel a great responsibility on my shoulders for this...
I've given up a great career (25 yrs) with 1 employer, extremely good wages ,to now being on the dole - and to top it off ,I gave up my employment voluntary.....

Last edited:

Samzino

Established Member
Who knows...??

Gutted to say the least.

I know it's not my fault ,but I feel a great responsibility on my shoulders for this...
I've given up a great career (25 yrs) with 1 employer, extremely good wages ,to now being on the dole - and to top it off ,I gave up my employment voluntary.....
Dang. Surely court wise this could be a good chance of a win If it isn't short term.

So now I'm unemployed.

Hi mate

Just to let you know I was booked on the same course - cancelled as well with about a weeks notice

I’ve had an employment solicitor look over all the details and it is indeed legal so I would not waste your money doing the same

1 week before the start is an absolute stinker ay

SuperS16v

So now I'm unemployed.

Mate that’s rough! I hope you manage to sort something out.

What was their reason?

MrFord

Hi mate

Just to let you know I was booked on the same course - cancelled as well with about a weeks notice

I’ve had an employment solicitor look over all the details and it is indeed legal so I would not waste your money doing the same

1 week before the start is an absolute stinker ay
Hi

It certainly is a stinker for sure..

I hope that you find some other employment soon ,and wish you the best for the future.

All the Best.....

1867Blue

I think there’s redundancies coming up at DB. Due to the on going issues with pensions.

I’m genuinely gutted for you all.

NorthernTech

This is due to unforeseen circumstances attributed to volume demand across specific regions within the business
Even if it is legal, it’s just bad form to do that to people. Especially as you have to give notice to previous employer, and even if they would take you back, you have shown that you are looking to go. In these days of social media, word spreads fast so I think this a bit of an own goal on the part of the FOC.

1867Blue

Even if it is legal, it’s just bad form to do that to people. Especially as you have to give notice to previous employer, and even if they would take you back, you have shown that you are looking to go. In these days of social media, word spreads fast so I think this a bit of an own goal on the part of the FOC.
I think if people had the choice between DB and another TOC/FOC a lot would choose the other option.

But people are desperate to be a train driver, so I don’t think it will put people off trying or taking the chance if offered.

Omg this is terrible

I had a medical almost a year ago then radio silence. I don't think I'd want to work for this company now reading this. I'm so sorry this happened to you and I hope you get sorted soon

anglian96

Who knows...??

Gutted to say the least.

If it makes you feel any better I have recently left DB cargo after 5 years To a TOC and I can gladly say you've dodged a bullet not going there although circumstances ain't great for you right now I hope you sort things out.

genziu8181

Wow.... And to even think I was considering DB Cargo vs GWR... I'm so pleased thatt I stick to guts and all advices here and so gutted for all people who's training got cancelled. I suspect it is due to HS2 being cancelled so the workload will be much lower

Stigy

Established Member
Who knows...??

Gutted to say the least.

Sorry to hear this. This is almost unheard of once course dates are offered so I guess it’s down to last minute work loss.

Can you not go back to your previous employer assuming you left on good terms and clearly have experience there?

1867Blue

Wow.... And to even think I was considering DB Cargo vs GWR... I'm so pleased thatt I stick to guts and all advices here and so gutted for all people who's training got cancelled. I suspect it is due to HS2 being cancelled so the workload will be much lower
I could be wrong but it think GBRf have the majority of the HS2 work.

Train_manager

Lucky escape!!!!!!!. Good luck with GWR

Sorry to hear this. This is almost unheard of once course dates are offered so I guess it’s down to last minute work loss.

Can you not go back to your previous employer assuming you left on good terms and clearly have experience there?
Work is always up and down on freight but that's shocking even for DB.

Samzino

Established Member

Doubt it as they would know MrFord basically has intentions of leaving pretty much if another opportunity comes(at least would be what they'd assume). Assumption would also be that within the given notice period they found a replacement for said role and then another person to replace that person who has taken MrFords role(assuming that the role is one of progression).

genziu8181

I'm
Who knows...??

Gutted to say the least.

If you have left nothing can be done.... If you still working even tomorrow you can always withdraw your notice. I was surprised that employees can do that

Chrysalis

I'm

If you have left nothing can be done.... If you still working even tomorrow you can always withdraw your notice. I was surprised that employees can do that
I was told today that your boss doesn't have to honour it if you withdraw your notice. Worth double checking, I'd like to be wrong on this occasion.

Stigy

Established Member
Doubt it as they would know MrFord basically has intentions of leaving pretty much if another opportunity comes(at least would be what they'd assume). Assumption would also be that within the given notice period they found a replacement for said role and then another person to replace that person who has taken MrFords role(assuming that the role is one of progression).
Depends I guess. If you work for a large organisation or agency, they’ll often have you back. Obviously if you’ were in a niche job and they filled the position, then of course, there’d be nothing to go back to.

Samzino

Established Member
Depends I guess. If you work for a large organisation or agency, they’ll often have you back. Obviously if you’ were in a niche job and they filled the position, then of course, there’d be nothing to go back to.
Agreed, I just inferred that is was non agency since he had been with said employer for 25 years on "extremely good wages" which I'd assume to have work that consistently and at a good earning rate for the OP would deem it more of a permanent role.

Carl98k

I could be wrong but it think GBRf have the majority of the HS2 work.
The work will continue on the existing build. GBRf have taken on work elsewhere so this won’t impact the business. It was rumoured that DB we’re on a slippery slope, unfortunately this proves that point.

Stigy

Established Member
The work will continue on the existing build. GBRf have taken on work elsewhere so this won’t impact the business. It was rumoured that DB we’re on a slippery slope, unfortunately this proves that point.
It does seem that they’re being left behind. Hear all the time about GBRf and FL getting lucrative contacts and projects etc, rarely DB.

Mabs

Last year I had a DMI with DB. A couple weeks later i got an email I have another interview. I was confused so I emailed DB asking why do I have another interview when I already had an interview. No reply and they didn't pick up my phone calls.

I had a 12 hour over time shift booked for the new interview date so I had to cancel that shift.

The interview was booked online, I was ready wearing my suit, room tidy and camera angle all sorted.

20 minutes before the second DMI I got an email that they made a mistake and sent me a second interview date by mistake and it's been cancelled. They were sorry about it.

I wasn't happy and emailed to say it's rude of them not to reply to my emails, not even picking up my phone calls and I wanted compensation for my 12 hours of loss of earnings.

DB didn't reply.

1867Blue

It does seem that they’re being left behind. Hear all the time about GBRf and FL getting lucrative contacts and projects etc, rarely DB.
I can see many drivers moving across to FL and GBRf
Last year I had a DMI with DB. A couple weeks later i got an email I have another interview. I was confused so I emailed DB asking why do I have another interview when I already had an interview. No reply and they didn't pick up my phone calls.

I had a 12 hour over time shift booked for the new interview date so I had to cancel that shift.

The interview was booked online, I was ready wearing my suit, room tidy and camera angle all sorted.

20 minutes before the second DMI I got an email that they made a mistake and sent me a second interview date by mistake and it's been cancelled. They were sorry about it.

I wasn't happy and emailed to say it's rude of them not to reply to my emails, not even picking up my phone calls and I wanted compensation for my 12 hours of loss of earnings.

DB didn't reply.
Though it’s not very good what they did, and extremely unfortunate it fell on a 12 hour overtime shift.

They was never in a million years going to compensate you for it.

Carl98k

Yes I totally agree. I’ve only been with GBRf just over 12 months, but they’ve ran so many courses. And yes they’ve won a lot of work, the RHTT is just the latest.

TonyBrides

So now I'm unemployed.

did you start on the 16th then get your offer withdrawn?