• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DBS private train driver assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulltigers

New to the forum - it's a great source of info.

Probably answering my own question here but I guess you can't take the train driver assessment privately within 6 months of failing, like the TOC's rules?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hey do you know if you can take the train driver assessment privately without being employed by a Toc?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Looks good. Is this a good way to train up before applying for a train driver position with a Toc? And from my understanding you'd have to wait 6 months.

red2005

Yes you can take it privately but this DOES NOT mean that a TOC that you apply to won't make you take it again as they are perfectly within their rights to.

I did it this way myself......my advice to you is save your money as even with that test pass you still need to get through a paper sift etc before it'd become remotely relevant. Just apply to a toc and get it done for free.

JohnFM

As Red says the private testing is not going to help.

TBH it is a load of tosh that preys of folks' lack of knowledge.

The testing will have absolutely no bearing on the official tests and is just a cash cow.

It's like me taking you for a driving test and giving you a pass when, in reality, it is meaningless as it isn't the official driving test.

Andy-mc

The 6 months is a fixed rule as I believe all the results are kept centrally.

The advantage to doing the tests privately is that you might not have to go through them again with a company you apply for.
But as any potential employer will be holding the assessments for other candidates you'd be best to do them at their expense and not yours, especially if you fail or you don't get a job offer within 2 years, plus if they change just one of the tests like they did in 2013 you'll need to do them again as well

With becoming a train driver its all about patients and a bit of luck

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hey do you know if you can take the train driver assessment privately without being employed by a Toc?

By definition, if you see a trainee driver vac advertised, you can undertake the testing process, without being employed by a TOC. Better still, the TOC is paying for it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The testing will have absolutely no bearing on the official tests and is just a cash cow.

It's like me taking you for a driving test and giving you a pass when, in reality, it is meaningless as it isn't the official driving test.

DBS offer the industry standard psychometric process.
I've had trainees who've been down this route. However, with HR departments increasingly getting involved in driver recruitment, any advantage in having passed it may well diminish. As others have said, you still have to tick all the boxes in their sift of the application forms, as they want to prove that everyone has been through an identical process. Equal Ops and all that.

Throwing money at it will not land you a trainee job. It's aptitude based selection.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member

Have you got any proof for your accusations there??

I sat the tests privatley with DB and I am now a Qualified Driver so that blows tour theory out of the sky?

I will agree with others that it does not guarentee anything but I went straight through to Manager Interview on my application.

OpsWeb

All TOC's set there own pass mark. There is a minimum standard that must be attained in all cases, but most TOC's have there own enhanced score. The central RSSB Database does have a register of pass marks and scores, but TBH HR Departments really don't care if you have already passed the tests elsewhere.

The application form is entirely aptitude based, so you either pass it or don't...regardless of if you have already passed the train driving testing.

Urobach

Thanks. Looks good. Is this a good way to train up before applying for a train driver position with a Toc? And from my understanding you'd have to wait 6 months.

After months of applying and getting nowhere fast I went and passed the private assesments at Doncaster. The next two TOCs I applied to took me straight to interview and I'm now working as a qualified driver.

It's your call of course, but I think it's much more valuable than a number of other users believe

Dieseldriver

From what you've written, I think you misunderstand. The 'tests' under discussion are the psychometric assessments which form part of the recruitment process to test your suitability to perform the job if successful at the other stages.
The actual training for the job of train driver is a 12 - 18 month intensive course which will be undertaken whilst you are employed by a TOC as a trainee driver.
Apologies if I've got this wrong but I'm curious, did you think it takes one day to learn how to be a train driver?

Kells21

I did mine privately at DB Schenker and felt it helped a lot in my application

Status
Not open for further replies.