• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DCC fitted locos on DC.

Class15

On Moderation
A few years back, I got the “Whiskies Galore” train set from Bachmann, DCC fitted, with a Class 20 locomotive. However, due to the higher cost, I never pursued DCC further and chose to stick with DC. I have tried testing my 20 on DC but no avail. Is there any way I can get this loco to run on DC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
You’d need to open the loco up and remove the DCC chip.

Removing the chip is easy, the loco body may be more difficult but the difficulty varies by manufacturer/loco type.

4COR

You may also need the DCC blanking plate to replace it with. You can program DCC chips to run on DC - but of course, you'll need to have access to a DCC programmer to do so...

Am a little surprised that it doesn't already support DC though.,.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You’d need to open the loco up and remove the DCC chip.

Removing the chip is easy, the loco body may be more difficult but the difficulty varies by manufacturer/loco type.

If you remove the chip you would need to replace it with blanking plate.

As posted by @4COR from what I have read a model brand new out of the box should run on DC with DCC chip installed.

Kaput

As mentioned it should have DC running enabled out of the box. You will need to turn your DC controller up higher than normal to give enough juice to power the decoder, let alone move the loco.