• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DCMS Heritage Grants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
and the top 10 grants awarded to Heritage Railways are:

Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) Public Limited Company£906,000
West Somerset Railway Plc.£865,000
Bluebell Railway PLC£727,200
Mid Hants Railway Ltd / Mid Hants Railway Preservation Society Award£600,000
Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway£470,000
Modern Electric Tramways Ltd (Seaton Tramway)£435,100
North Norfolk Railway plc£360,000
South Devon Railway Trust£332,300
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway plc£318,000
The Kent and East Sussex Railway Company Limited£301,500

Bit surprised that Swanage Railway was farther down the list (number 14 £223,200) when one considers they have announced that they are on a knife edge and that they are struggling to survive?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bit surprised that Swanage Railway was farther down the list (number 14 £223,200) when one considers they have announced that they are on a knife edge and that they are struggling to survive?

perhaps they didnt meet certain criteria or simply didn't make as good a submission as the others.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
I see the Llangollen Railway isn't in the top 10, yet I've heard they're basically bankrupt?
What were the criteria for applications? Why, for example, has the Severn Valley been granted £900 000? Similarly the West Somerset. Staffing costs perhaps?

WAO

I see the Llangollen Railway isn't in the top 10, yet I've heard they're basically bankrupt?
What were the criteria for applications? Why, for example, has the Severn Valley been granted £900 000? Similarly the West Somerset. Staffing costs perhaps?

Perhaps Welsh enterprises are dealt with by the Welsh Assembly?

WAO

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes this was an English only list plus the >£1M grants have not been announced yet.

Monty

Established Member

Fortunately the Swanage Railway also raised a further £300,000 from a separate appeal, plus this summer was much better than expected after the line reopened in July. So it should keep the railway going until the new year.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Well done to all who worked on putting grant submissions together and got these funds into the movement. Thanks are deserved from all of us who enjoy what preserved railways have on offer.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I have been involved in making Heritage fund applications and there is an art form to it. Many don't "get" what is required or how to draft and present the request. That can weaken their funding application

B&W

I have been involved in making Heritage fund applications and there is an art form to it. Many don't "get" what is required or how to draft and present the request. That can weaken their funding application
Very true, it takes time to learn the ropes. I think this why so many HLF grants get handed out to the big boys who have people more or less volunteering on applications full time. The system is thus not surprisingly biased to these bigger railways. It is pleasing to see in this round quite a few smaller folk, in heritage rail and non rail sectors have passed the bar.

paul1609

Established Member
Very true, it takes time to learn the ropes. I think this why so many HLF grants get handed out to the big boys who have people more or less volunteering on applications full time. The system is thus not surprisingly biased to these bigger railways. It is pleasing to see in this round quite a few smaller folk, in heritage rail and non rail sectors have passed the bar.
I don't think there is a big v small railway thing here, but HLF grants are regional. The Heritage Railway Association (HRA) provides advice and ensures that the railways don't compete against each other in the same region. Roger Kelly the HRAs funding advisor has been involved and critiques applications for many of the railways. https://www.hra.uk.com/fundraising-advice

Titfield

Established Member
Bluebell and KESR are 38 miles apart.
Bluebell and Mid Hants are 65 miles apart!

paul1609

Established Member
Bluebell and KESR are 38 miles apart.
Bluebell and Mid Hants are 65 miles apart!
Not really sure what your point is. The grants in the OP are DCMS (government grants). Mine, B&W and Darlorich's posts were talking about HLF (lottery grants). Its the HLF grants that are regional.

Status
Not open for further replies.