• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dead freight train at Southampton Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

I'm on the 1935 Waterloo - Weymouth fast, currently being held at Eastleigh as there's a dead freight train at the platform at Southampton Airport Parkway. No idea how long we're going to be here for.

If it's dead, how will it be moved? I wonder if Freightliner would lend a couple of their locos from the docks to pull it out of the way...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
A loco will be sent from wherever there is a spare loco and driver.

antharro

The problematic train in question is 408X. My train, 1W81 has now been cancelled and passengers have been advised to take the 1B65 Waterloo - Poole, which is slow after Southampton. It's made an additional stop at Eastleigh to pick us up and is diverting to reverse at Fareham then run back to Southampton Central where it will terminate.

The guard on 1W81 was brilliant and made frequent announcements as he found out further information. So for now I'm still on a warm train. Let's see what happens at Southampton Central; the guard suggested a shuttle between Southampton and Weymouth would be put in place if the freight train couldn't be moved quickly.

I did feel sorry for the driver of 1W81 who was on the platform on the phone sounding rather glum and saying he had no idea when he was going to be home so not to wait up!

Crossover

Established Member
Looks like the failed train may be on the move, 56L

P.S. Before anyone bites your head off, 408X is just an anonymised headcode used on public sites - the actual reporting code will be 4***

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
158 (or even 159s if any spare this time of night) shuttle between Eastleigh & Southampton Central via Romsey?

antharro

Waiting at Southampton Central now. Twitter was indicating the freight train should be moved shortly. Station staff reckons the next train through will be the 2209.

Thanks for the correction regarding 408X. :)

Crossover

Established Member
Yep, it got on the move properly again 90 mins late - now reached destination so should be out of the way

antharro

1Z81 departed Southampton Central at 2225 on a very fast Weymouth special service, calling Brockenhurst, Bournemouth, Poole and Weymouth only. Kudos to SWT for arranging that at short notice.

The disgraced freight train rolled through a little earlier, a Freightliner 70 pulling a 66 + freight wagons.

Could someone advise if the 10x444 that's working 1Z81 is the same set that worked the earlier terminated 1W81 service?

Last edited:

arabianights

P.S. Before anyone bites your head off, 408X is just an anonymised headcode used on public sites - the actual reporting code will be 4***

This sounds most interesting - any more clues that you can share publicly? I think nukes are normally class 6 and above so it isn't that, and nor is the Royal Train, so what could be so secretive? Especially a service from Lawley Street F.L.T. to Southampton M.C.T. - hardly exotic destinations.

(Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This sounds most interesting - any more clues that you can share publicly? I think nukes are normally class 6 and above so it isn't that, and nor is the Royal Train, so what could be so secretive? Especially a service from Lawley Street F.L.T. to Southampton M.C.T. - hardly exotic destinations.

All the freight headcodes are made anonymous by Network Rail, as a general policy at the request of the FOCs. Doesn't depend on individual train details, they're all mangled at source.

Crossover

Established Member

Think you've got the wrong end of the stick - it's just that the data feed anonymised freight head codes (used to be viewable) but they can be found elsewhere. There are threads around about it. It's just that it was only a matter of time before someone had a rant (mentioning no names :P) about how 408X isn't a real reporting code!

Royal Train goes under 1Z01 or something doesn't it? That won't ever show on any feeds AFAIK

Top Cat

Believe the train in question was 4O17 15:48 Lawley Street to Southampton Maritime

Established Member
Not necessarily. It changes from time to time, to the best of my knowledge, and IIRC it would usually feature a "1X.." code for most journeys now.
It hasn't been 1X.. for at least 25 years or more. It did go through a phase of having a specific headcode depending on who it was conveying but it tends to get a different headcode each time now.

As this particular train never gets put into TOPS or TRUST it won't show on sites such as Realtime Trains.

Freightmaster

Established Member
It hasn't been 1X.. for at least 25 years or more. It did go through a phase of having a specific headcode depending on who it was conveying but it tends to get a different headcode each time now.

As this particular train never gets put into TOPS or TRUST it won't show on sites such as Realtime Trains.
While that's true, I'm pretty sure that it isn't blocked from the
TD (train describer) feeds which power the Railcam signalling
diagrams, but you would still have to know what it was!

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.