• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dead rail grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

I would have though it's pretty unusual to see non-passenger stock left in platforms open to the public for any length of time, but a rail grinder - at least I assume it is one as it's fleet number appears to be simply "RDG" - has been parked up in Moorgate platform 4, a Circle bay, for the best part of a week now with NOT TO BE MOVED signs. If it's seized up, it's going to be rather tricky to rescue!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It is highly likely that the rail grinder will have been in operation every night and is merely being outstabled at Moorgate. It is standard practice for this unit to have NOT TO BE MOVED signs when not in use (ie during the day).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The rail grinder was not defective; when in use on a line it will typically stable in a siding to avoid the need to return to the depot. In this case they use the bay roads at Moorgate due to the lack of other suitable sidings in central London on the Met line.

As it happens, after completing its operations last night it returned to the depot.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Platform 3 is used when they need to turn a train back at Moorgate but I imagine P4 would only be used for that in the unlikely event P3 was occupied. So leaving some plant in there doesn't really disrupt anything. There's a proposal to re-purpose the former Widened Lines from Farringdon for stock storage, and the junction at the Farringdon end was laid in some years ago, but the rest couldn't be done at the time due to Crossrail work at Barbican and I'm not sure if there is any cash to do it now.

xtmw

I would have though it's pretty unusual to see non-passenger stock left in platforms open to the public for any length of time, but a rail grinder - at least I assume it is one as it's fleet number appears to be simply "RDG" - has been parked up in Moorgate platform 4, a Circle bay, for the best part of a week now with NOT TO BE MOVED signs. If it's seized up, it's going to be rather tricky to rescue!
The last time the rail grinder was used on the Central Line, not too long ago. They were conducting rail grinding during engineering hours. I assume they are only doing the same in the Moorgate area.

jumble

Today we saw that the Rail Grinder has migrated to the Chalfont and Latimer bay platform on our way to/from a very muddy walk in Chesham
Best wishes from the Spaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.