• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dec 2015 timetable changes Thameslink/Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
In the December 2015 timetable proposals the Redhill Route would be getting some major changes off-peak with same number of trains but different patterns.

One of the changes is that Thameslink will provide a new service from Three Bridges to Bedford calling at Redhill, Merstham, Coulsdon South and Purley - additional stops on the current Bedford to Three Bridges service.

Thameslink trains are DOO operated as far as I am aware and there are no guards panels on the 387's or 319's as far as I can see. So how will they be able to call at Coulsdon South and Merstham as currently if there is no guard on the train then these station calls are cancelled because they cannot handle DOO trains.

(PS if this is covered elsewhere please direct me, Thx)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
As far as I know..The whole of the mainline (including the Redhill Branch) is DOO capable. There are monitors at Merstham and Coulsdon. 387s do have guard panels but TLK doesn't use guards.

Minstral25

Established Member
I have seen the monitors on the stations too but not sure if they are working properly. The reason I assumed they don't work is that trains often have stops removed because "member of train crew not available or "Guard not available". Same happens at Earlswood and Salfords on the line but I didn't ask as Thameslink Trains won't stop there.

I was on a 387 this morning which is why I wondered as they don't seem to have the same access panel as on the 377's by the doors for guards to access, so I assume guard will have to use rear or middle cabs to work.

Fincra5

Established Member
I have seen the monitors on the stations too but not sure if they are working properly. The reason I assumed they don't work is that trains often have stops removed because "member of train crew not available or "Guard not available". Same happens at Earlswood and Salfords on the line but I didn't ask as Thameslink Trains won't stop there.

I was on a 387 this morning which is why I wondered as they don't seem to have the same access panel as on the 377's by the doors for guards to access, so I assume guard will have to use rear or middle cabs to work.

They have the same access panels as 377/6 ... as in the slimmer, more refined design.

Minstral25

Established Member
They have the same access panels as 377/6 ... as in the slimmer, more refined design.

Thanks - must look closer next time I'm in one
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
455s DOO have run the redhill route in the past no problems.

I've not seen that - AFAIK there is only one 455 booked from Redhill at 5:30am all stations to Victoria which has a guard.

tsr

Established Member
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W84889/2015/06/26/advanced

I believe thats DOO too... Redhill Guards don't sign 455's, Horsham would still be asleep at that point :D

It certainly is DOO, though it does not call at Merstham. I should know - I have ended up in the back cab* (cabs are the only places a guard can work the train on a Southern 455) and there was no guard there! However, 455s have worked via Redhill with guards before on rare occasions.

PS. Selhurst guards also sign 455s, and heading down to work the 0530 would probably allow a lie-in... ;)

Regarding the new TL services to Merstham/Coulsdon South etc., as I understand it the aim will be to use newer stock and thus not rely on the DOO monitors if at all possible, but to the best of my knowledge they all work in some shape or form.

Lastly, 319s can be worked by guards, but this is not done on the Thameslink route. It was done on the WCML by Southern/predecessors in times past, and presumably may well be done again soon by LM.

*I am permitted to do so...

John1975

It's still a 455.

The unit berths overnight in the old Post Office dock, which is barred to 377's.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Class 387, like class 377, 378 and 379, don't require any platform equipment for DOO, they're fitted with onboard cameras and monitors.

Minstral25

Established Member
Class 387, like class 377, 378 and 379, don't require any platform equipment for DOO, they're fitted with onboard cameras and monitors.

Getting away from the timetable but then why is a common complaint along the Redhill route that Coulsdon South, Merstham, Earlswood and Salfords are skipped due to lack of guard. That is the train only stops at the manned stations along the route. Lack of Guard or missing train crew is the actual excuse given.

tony6499

319's had guards control panels in the cabs , when guards worked on the Thameslink between Brighton and Farringdon they opened and closed the doors

clagmonster

Established Member
Lastly, 319s can be worked by guards, but this is not done on the Thameslink route. It was done on the WCML by Southern/predecessors in times past, and presumably may well be done again soon by LM.
My understanding on this matter is that since Thameslink became fully DOO, the guards' panels have been disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.