• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2022 Timetable Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Info from page 147 of the revised Northern contract that DfT uploaded today 8th December

Class 323
51 (17 x 3car)
2 x Units on 14th November 2022
2 x Units on 21st November 2022
2 x Units on 5th December 2022
5 x Units on 9th January 2023
4 x Units on 13th February 2023
2 x Units on 8th May 2023

The contract is dated 24 February 2022. There has clearly been a change of plan, since all those 323s are still with WMT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Mk4s will run fast Shrewsbury - Crewe as I understand it. The 197s in the other hours (or legacy units for now) will call at Wem, Whitchurch and Nantwich in the other hours as I believe they do now.
In the December timetable, Wem, Whitchurch and Nantwich are all served by 0536 Swansea - Manchester, which is booked for MKIVs. They're also served earlier by 0435 Cardiff - Manchester, which is timed for MKIVs but not likely to actually see them until May at the earliest.

In the other direction, only Nantwich out of the three sees MKIVs, and then only on one service - 0626 Manchester to Cardiff. On a Saturday it is also served by 1830 Manchester - Cardiff.
Eventually there should be 2tph on that route - a faster Manchester-Cardiff, and a more regional service which could be Crewe-Cardiff, for instance - still offering a lot of connections and covering all the local stops. I'm sure they'd prefer an hourly service and Crewe gives London, Liverpool, Scotland, others... not everyone will be going to Manchester from Wem, by any means so I'm sure losing Manchester won't be the biggest issue.

Also worth noting that there is the two-hourly North Wales - Cardiff, and a future Liverpool-Cardiff (two hourly) - which when combined will offer additional hourly service from Shrewsbury down.
Once the half hourly service you mention on the Marches starts there won't be capacity South of Shrewsbury for another service from Crewe. Sadly there's always going to need to be a compromise for Nantwich, Whitchurch and Wem between their desire to see more services, especially through services to Manchester, and the needs of Manchester - South Wales passengers wanting a faster journey.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Northern contract doesn't actually say the 319s will be returned to Porterbrook before the "End of the Contract Term" (1 March 2025).

Bikeman78

Established Member
Mk4s will run fast Shrewsbury - Crewe as I understand it. The 197s in the other hours (or legacy units for now) will call at Wem, Whitchurch and Nantwich in the other hours as I believe they do now.
The mark 4s will stop at those stations. Have a look in RTT. Some of the trains starting at Cardiff, which are booked to be loco hauled, do stop.

Veteran Member
The mark 4s will stop at those stations. Have a look in RTT. Some of the trains starting at Cardiff, which are booked to be loco hauled, do stop.
Only Northbound - I suspect that it a matter of pathing rather than principle, though.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I've had a look thanks. My understanding (which I didn't originally make clear and I apologise for that) is that when the full TfW timetable overhaul is done then it won't be Mk4s stopping at those stations. This isn't confirmed but as I understand it that is the plan.

Richardr

And yes, I'm aware that (in theory), the raison d'etre of Avanti is to serve its customers, but in practice they're well down the pecking order, behind its owners (stake-holders / share-holders), D(a)fT, etc.
Surely the DfT is the customer of Avanti these days? Us passengers are customers of the DfT.

robrymond

That is a shame. There are some terrible gaps in the service currently and one train an hour is quite restrictive for a town of this size. However I do understand the rationale and luckily being dropped at Crewe isn't the end of the world when catching a train to reduce the journey times for connections.

jfollows

Established Member
That is a shame. There are some terrible gaps in the service currently and one train an hour is quite restrictive for a town of this size. However I do understand the rationale and luckily being dropped at Crewe isn't the end of the world when catching a train to reduce the journey times for connections.
Yes, I went to visit a friend in Nantwich for lunch a couple of weeks ago, thanks to online information I found out in advance that the stopping service from Crewe to Shrewsbury on the way there had been cancelled and I spent too long chatting to get my first choice train home, my second choice was two hours later. In the end I was able to arrange for my friend to collect me from Crewe and deliver me back there, in both cases I ended up on trains from/to Wilmslow which went through Nantwich without stopping.
However, when I'm going to Cardiff it already feels like an interminable number of station stops, so the right balance is of course to stop at Nantwich when I want to go there for lunch and to go whizzing through when I want to go to Cardiff, so a balance has to be struck.
If the service ends up being more like hourly with a mixture of through and local trains, that'd be a good compromise, however the time keeping of the longer-distance trains on this route isn't very good in general - I see trains turned back at Wilmslow to recover lost time quite often, for example (instead of going into Manchester as booked).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

jfollows

Established Member
Hi,

Is this a new timetabled working from today? https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W97647/2022-12-11/detailed
It has been cancelled due to "an issue with the train crew", I've never a known a working to Euston from Wrexham on a sunday before. Thought it may have been an error.
See https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/plan-your-journey/timetables
The original poster is referring to the 12:06 Wrexham to Euston, which has been cancelled.
1670761805126.png

Last edited:

rich.davies

Thanks Both,

Tried looking at ticket prices but it looks like Avanti haven't quite got round to uploading it into buy tickets on the website.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Scotrail88

Looks like only one 221 trip to Scotland now - Monday to Friday only for Avanti.
Probably a think of the past come
May!

sufian123

Looks like only one 221 trip to Scotland now - Monday to Friday only for Avanti.
Probably a think of the past come
May!
RTT is showing one is running today. 1316 off Euston to Glasgow. Maybe one off?

Scotrail88

RTT is showing one is running today. 1316 off Euston to Glasgow. Maybe one off?

Should be pendo as far as know.

That’s a 221 working weekdays but maybe balance due to timetable revision?

htafc

I note that, from tomorrow and as previously discussed, direct Huddersfield-Castleford services are set to return (instead of the rail replacement bus). What is the planned traction for these services? Two-car 150?
Cheers

And with that, I have reached 200 posts on this forum...

Kite159

Veteran Member
I note that, from tomorrow and as previously discussed, direct Huddersfield-Castleford services are set to return (instead of the rail replacement bus). What is the planned traction for these services? Two-car 150?
Cheers

And with that, I have reached 200 posts on this forum...
If they are using platform 5 at Huddersfield then it can only really be a 2 coach 150 as that's all that fits

Status
Not open for further replies.