• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2023 Timetable Change

dk1

Veteran Member
Of course it's not just about loading, if it takes too long to get from Norwich to Cambridge or Stansted then you move the train or car debate towards car.

Yes and it’s just about right with the stops we have now (Brandon wasn’t served by Anglia Railways originally when launched in 2002) and it was advertised to be no more than a 70min journey on most services. It’s bad enough calling at the wayside halts on the few services that do so now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mangyiscute

Established Member
Shippea Hill and Eccles Road don't really serve anything apart from nearby villages which likely railhead to Ely or Wymondham, but East Harling (Harling Road - Population 2500) and Lakenheath (Population 4500) are large enough villages to have stations with a decent service, look at Dullingham, Somerleyton or really any middle-of-nowhere station in East Anglia which have normal services and aren't questioned about validity.
Issue is both of those stations are a good mile at least from the villages you are talking about, and the walk is along roads with no pavement - something I can say from experience for Lakenheath, it is not the best of walks. For me, Spooner Row is perhaps the best shout, it has quite a few houses within walking distance of the station.

dk1

Veteran Member
Issue is both of those stations are a good mile at least from the villages you are talking about, and the walk is along roads with no pavement - something I can say from experience for Lakenheath, it is not the best of walks. For me, Spooner Row is perhaps the best shout, it has quite a few houses within walking distance of the station.

Hence the title ‘Road’. Not sure why Lakenheath never had that too.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Monday to Saturday clockface I believe, although some trains on Mon-Fri in the morning peak don't make Gatwick. Turning round instead at Redhill due to conflicts with the Southern peak extensions to Gatwick which only run Mon-Fri.
It's good that they don't conflict with the Southern peak extensions in the evening.

PGAT

Established Member
According to the Southern website some Horsham/Dorking services have increased from 5 to 8/10 coaches, does anyone know which ones specifically have been lengthened?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
According to the Southern website some Horsham/Dorking services have increased from 5 to 8/10 coaches, does anyone know which ones specifically have been lengthened?
Pretty sure the 09.33 from Epsom to Victoria which starts back from one or the other of those was a 10 car on Monday, but I wasn't paying much attention as I was aiming for the 09.45 London Bridge... if they're lengthening more in December, I have to wonder where the stock is coming from?

PGAT

Established Member
Pretty sure the 09.33 from Epsom to Victoria which starts back from one or the other of those was a 10 car on Monday, but I wasn't paying much attention as I was aiming for the 09.45 London Bridge... if they're lengthening more in December, I have to wonder where the stock is coming from?
Every train in the rush hour is 8 or 10 coaches at the moment and they get detached and sent off to the depot afterwards leaving 5 car formations. I assume they're not using any new stock, they're just using it more efficiently

geoffk

Established Member
AIUI all remaining Castle diagrams from December will be purely shuttling back between Penzance & Plymouth only bar one weekday extension to Exeter St David's, returning ECS.

The two Pilning calls are set to be at 0832 and 1532 by the 0800 and 1459 Cardiff Central - Penzance services, both of which are set to be 80x. Perhaps they've resolved the issues with stopping them there, or expect to mid-December?
Pilning has TWO trains a day? I must have missed this.

The exile

Established Member
Pilning has TWO trains a day? I must have missed this.
Two in one direction instead of one in each now there’s no footbridge. Still only Saturdays as far as I’m aware.
Return tickets valid to Severn Beach and (I think) also doubling back via Severn Tunnel Junction.

OneOfThe48

Not sure about a full list but I believe (and hope) that the 08:17 Horsham to London Victoria service (2I13) is one of them, from 5 to 8.

Last edited:

PGAT

Established Member
Not sure about a full list but I believe (and hope) that the 08:17 Horsham to London Victoria service (2I13) is one of them, from 5 to 8.
Yeah that seems to be the case as it forms a crosslink with the 1000 Epsom Downs service after arriving at Victoria

Deepgreen

Established Member
NDL times now on the GWR site - 2tph to Gatwick, with the small stations getting the same alternate 2-hourly calls as now. The longest waits at Guildford have gone but there are still loads of five and six minute waits there.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
Of course it's not just about loading, if it takes too long to get from Norwich to Cambridge or Stansted then you move the train or car debate towards car.
Stansted is almost 2 hours, and Cambridge 1 hour 45 mins by car....on a good day, then you have to find and pay for parking

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Every train in the rush hour is 8 or 10 coaches at the moment and they get detached and sent off to the depot afterwards leaving 5 car formations. I assume they're not using any new stock, they're just using it more efficiently
Thank you; that sounds good to me.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Second point - No, Neilston and Newton services will continue to be hourly after 1900. But the reintroduction of circle services will remove the longer gaps in service.

Good to see the Cathcart Circle services re-introduced, but I see the 0841 Neilston-Glasgow Central is still missing, meaning a 41 minute gap, at the end of the morning peak, between the 0824 and 0905 departures; The latter is only a 3-car as well, so I avoid it if at all possible!

hst43053

Any news if Avanti plan on reintroducing the pre COVID 3tph Euston to Bham from Dec 23?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Any news if Avanti plan on reintroducing the pre COVID 3tph Euston to Bham from Dec 23?
No, they don't. There are a few hours with 3tph, but it is two fasts and a semi-fast in those hours. The 20 minute even frequency is no longer the base plan.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There already are 3tph at the buusier times of the day, for example leaving Euston its 3tph for the 08 and 09 hours in the morning, and then from 1600 to 2000 in the evening.

hst43053

There already are 3tph at the buusier times of the day, for example leaving Euston its 3tph for the 08 and 09 hours in the morning, and then from 1600 to 2000 in the evening.
Ah thanks. Is Saturday still solely 2tph?

Assume it'll eventually be a full 3tph all day?

cactustwirly

Established Member
NDL times now on the GWR site - 2tph to Gatwick, with the small stations getting the same alternate 2-hourly calls as now. The longest waits at Guildford have gone but there are still loads of five and six minute waits there.
Are their later trains from Gatwick?

I often have to drive to Gatwick as the train doesn't run in time for early or late flights