• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decisions, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneLowban

Hi all, I have a situation:

Managed to get a Trainee Driver position with TOC 1, starting soon. Have a DMI booked before that with TOC 2.

TOC 2 has a slightly higher pay and is 30 mins drive closer to me, but as I understand doesn’t start until early 2019, I have already left my previous job.

One option could be to go to the DMI, although providing I was successful there, not sure I could make the potential medical as I would have most likely started with TOC 1. Providing I was able to do it, I would have to start with TOC 1 and leave for TOC 2 about 5 months into training...don’t like the idea of that.

The other option and what I’m feeling, is to cancel/withdraw from the DMI with TOC 2, let someone else have that potential spot as I have one already and just enjoy the training and job with TOC 1 and put in a depot transfer in the future and see what else happens..

I am very grateful to have gotten through so I believe I would be doing the right thing with option 2, just wanted some opinions, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
You have a job offer with TOC1, you might not get the job at TOC2. If you want those keys go with the TOC who had offered you a job and forget about TOC2 for the time being. A lot could happen at the second company between now and 2019 including withdrawing the vacancy.

seddon

Option 2 .
You have the offer so take it up, it's just unfortunate timing .
Such is life

RBSN

Managed to get a Trainee Driver position with TOC 1, starting soon. Have a DMI booked before that with TOC 2.

TOC 2 has a slightly higher pay and is 30 mins drive closer to me, but as I understand doesn’t start until early 2019, I have already left my previous job.

One option could be to go to the DMI, although providing I was successful there, not sure I could make the potential medical as I would have most likely started with TOC 1. Providing I was able to do it, I would have to start with TOC 1 and leave for TOC 2 about 5 months into training...don’t like the idea of that.

The other option and what I’m feeling, is to cancel/withdraw from the DMI with TOC 2, let someone else have that potential spot as I have one already and just enjoy the training and job with TOC 1 and put in a depot transfer in the future and see what else happens..

I am very grateful to have gotten through so I believe I would be doing the right thing with option 2, just wanted some opinions, thanks.

Take the opportunity with TOC 1. You’re very fortunate to have it and as already mentioned, you may not get the opportunity with TOC 2.

Once qualified (and it’s a long way off - and driving trains may not be for you) you can then apply for another TOC, including TOC 2.

Andym1976

Definitely take the job you have been offered and complete the training, apply for others as qualified in the future. You know how hard it is to get an offer so imagine if you banked on the second and it fell through?

OneLowban

Thanks guys that was my thinking.

Although just to be clear I would have to start with TOC 1 regardless. It’s just if I got an offer with TOC 2 it would mean leaving TOC 1 training halfway through which I don’t like the sound of either.

MuckyFingers

toc1, yeah you are right dont leave training half way whatsoever you will not be viewed well and if things went wrong at toc2 you cant go back. get qualified then you are worth something to all tocs

sw1ller

Established Member
This will sound terrible, and not very popular, but I’d have waited until I actually started with TOC1 before rescinding my application with TOC2. It very nice of you to consider other people, but you need to look after number 1 first. No one will think of you when itall goes tits up. That being said, the advice above is spot on and you’ve done the right thing, albeit a tad early.

OneLowban

Thanks for the reply anyhow and I understand where you are coming from. If I were in a different situation it might be another story, but I am well into starting with TOC 1 very soon with all the induction bits sorted contract signed etc so I can't imagine anything would happen now. Also as said I have left my previous job already and can't go back.

Johncleesefan

In my opinion you have made the right choice. Take the job you have been offered and forget about all else for the time being. Complete your training and enjoy it. If you still feel you want to apply for toc 2 down the line then applying as a qualified driver “should” be a lot easier.
I would have done the exact same thing, withdrawing immediately means you’re not potentially messing the other toc about and it gives you closure and full commitment to toc 1.

Congratulations

OneLowban

Thanks for that, after expressing in this thread I feel comfortable with my decision and can relax again and look forward to training. Can’t wait to start.

Indeed it does, I can focus now. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.