Delay Repay applies to the journey regardless of number of tickets held (mythbuster)

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by yorkie, 13 Jan 2020.

1. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

Rail Delivery Group (RDG) issued a staff brief regarding "split ticketing" on 10th January; included in this brief was the following clarification:

Some train companies (e.g. GWR, SWR) make this explicitly clear in their Passenger Charters.

If you are incorrectly denied a legitimate Delay Repay claim, I would quote this to the relevant company. If they continue to refuse, you can refer them to the Rail Ombudsman.

Delay Repay claims go to the company who caused the delay; if you are further delayed later in the journey, this does not transfer the Delay Repay liability to a different company.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 14 Jan 2020
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

Can you claim for delay repay for journey using a paper ticket, and then continue with oyster from a intermediate station? Or does having to leave and re-enter to switch to oyster seperate it into two seperate journeys?

4. yorkie

My recommendation is, where possible, to avoid mixing mediums in this way, to keep the claim as simple as possible. I personally find that keeping a claim simple, even if it means losing out on a small proportion of the overall fare, is better for me, in order to reduce wasting time with complex claims and becoming embroiled in disputes.

For example if you can obtain a through itinerary with an accredited ticket splitting site (e.g. RailEurope, Trainline, Trainsplit etc) this can potentially save time and avoid arguments; also I would expect the relevant retailer to provide some assistance if you became embroiled in a dispute where the validity of the itinerary was questioned (this can be particularly the case if the timetable changes after the date of booking)

5. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

Do you have a link to the official briefing ? A message on an internet forum is unlikely to carry much weight with serial offenders such as LNER.

6. yorkie

I have attached a copy of the briefing to the opening post of this thread :)

7. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

Lots of briefings going out in the last week or so

8. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Any of them likely to actually be read by those who would benefit from them???

9. Wallsendmag

Wallsendmag Established Member

That's by far the hardest part of the process

10. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

Does this mean that TOC will update the delay repay part of their website to allow you to enter the details for more than one ticket for a claim. GTR only allow you to specify one, and "generously" give you just 255 characters for explanation.