• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay claims rejected

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I had a claim rejected as my ticket was scanned at the barriers after the scheduled departure time.

I looked on National Rail when I finished work and it showed my train home was running 40 minutes late. Instead of standing on the platform in the rain I stayed at work for an extra 20 minutes then headed for the station.

They are correct that the time my ticket was scanned at the ticket barriers after the original scheduled departure time but that was only because I knew of the delay beforehand. Personally I would have rather got home on time instead of doing extra work.

It seems harsh to me but I can see where the TOC is coming from.
Appeal it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
I had a claim rejected as my ticket was scanned at the barriers after the scheduled departure time.

I looked on National Rail when I finished work and it showed my train home was running 40 minutes late. Instead of standing on the platform in the rain I stayed at work for an extra 20 minutes then headed for the station.

They are correct that the time my ticket was scanned at the ticket barriers after the original scheduled departure time but that was only because I knew of the delay beforehand. Personally I would have rather got home on time instead of doing extra work.

That seems like an invalid rejection because I often wait "landside" where there are more cafés, shops and toilets and don't scan in until the departure is reasonably predictable from RTT or similar. I would appeal and expect to win.

stew

Was this for an e-ticket or a paper ticket?

In terms of going through the gateline, at London’s terminals,you wouldn’t be able to get your ticket “marked” by a gate as you would have no idea which platform you’d be eventually going to.

Having looked at the Delay Repay conditions, I can find no text about “needing to be at the station for your intended train”. Maybe someone can correct me?

STINT47

Was this for an e-ticket or a paper ticket?

In terms of going through the gateline, at London’s terminals,you wouldn’t be able to get your ticket “marked” by a gate as you would have no idea which platform you’d be eventually going to.

Having looked at the Delay Repay conditions, I can find no text about “needing to be at the station for your intended train”. Maybe someone can correct me?

It was using an e ticket. The station has benches and a canopy but even with this when it's raining and the wind is in the wrong direction it can be cold and wet.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

That's not a valid reason for having your claim rejected. There is no requirement to pass through the gateline a particular time before the train is due, let alone to be at the station at a particular time.

The requirement is simply that you intended to catch the delayed/cancelled service.

stew

That's not a valid reason for having your claim rejected. There is no requirement to pass through the gateline a particular time before the train is due, let alone to be at the station at a particular time.

The requirement is simply that you intended to catch the delayed/cancelled service.
Is there a requirement to be able to "prove" that intention?

gray1404

Established Member
This is an invalid rejection. Appeal it and if they still do not play ball make a formal complaint. Which train company was this...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is an invalid rejection. Appeal it and if they still do not play ball make a formal complaint. Which train company was this...

Agreed, it's tripe. At many stations you would quite validly remain on the concourse until shortly before departure, unless you like sitting in the freezing cold with no facilities.

STINT47

It was EMR. I will try an appeal.

I had every intention of catching the train at the original time and only stayed in the office to make the best out of a bad situation. TBH I just wanted to get home on time but the situation is what it is.

SteveM70

Established Member
There are plenty of stations where at peak times passengers are expected to stay outside the gateline because of congestion. This is palpably nonsense

gray1404

Established Member
Yes definitely appeal it. it may be that it's not even been looked at by a person yet and rejected by the automated system.

ashkeba

Established Member
Is there a requirement to be able to "prove" that intention?
No, but there are threads on here about another Abellio TOC demanding delay repay claimants do so or be accused of fraud, so one would be wise to keep detailed notes about each claim, if not proof.

trainophile

Established Member
Dreadful TPE delay repay submission system. Asks for either purchase confirmation ref. or ticket number/s. Had already selected claiming for more than one person, so it might have assumed I'd bought the tickets in one transaction hence one collection ref, but no it didn't like that, said minimum of two references required. Had to input the two ticket numbers instead, which wasn't a problem except the 'feedback' notch was covering the instructions to separate with a comma. Finally worked out that it wanted a comma without a following space. Got to select compensation method and chose BACS. Entered sort code, entered account number upon which it immediately whizzed over to the submit claim page without allowing me to check I'd entered the right bank account number, and wouldn't let me back to check it. Rather than go through the whole rigmarole again I've chanced I got it right and submitted it. We will see.

STINT47

EMR have rejected a delay repay claim that I made as the delay was beyond the rail industry control. I had to use a rail replacement bus due to planned engineering work however the bus was delayed by heavy traffic caused by a road accident. I arrived at my destination over 30 minutes late so submitted a claim but have had it rejected as the delay was caused by something outside of the rail industry. Is this worth an appeal? I was under the impression that delay repay payed out regardless of the cause but must admit I have never had this scenario ocure before.

gray1404

Established Member
Definitely appeal as delay repay is paid regardless of the reason for the delay. They are simply making up rules that don't exist.

robbeech

Established Member
Agreed, it's tripe. At many stations you would quite validly remain on the concourse until shortly before departure, unless you like sitting in the freezing cold with no facilities.

There are plenty of stations where at peak times passengers are expected to stay outside the gateline because of congestion. This is palpably nonsense
A perfect example of this is St Pancras EMR platforms. Quite often you’re only allowed through the barrier with 2 or 3 minutes to go, and when there is disruption this can easily be after the booked departure time. So EMR are essentially talking absolute tripe (as usual). Have you appealed this one yet? Make sure to keep all cases separate.

EMR have rejected a delay repay claim that I made as the delay was beyond the rail industry control. I had to use a rail replacement bus due to planned engineering work however the bus was delayed by heavy traffic caused by a road accident. I arrived at my destination over 30 minutes late so submitted a claim but have had it rejected as the delay was caused by something outside of the rail industry. Is this worth an appeal? I was under the impression that delay repay payed out regardless of the cause but must admit I have never had this scenario ocure before.
I assume their untrained staff are getting things mixed up based on the new anti passenger NRCOT. If they’d put the bus in the night before then it should have been given a new timetable which is what they’ll pay delay repay against. As there is no way to tell what time a bus arrives somewhere then they just pretend it runs perfectly on time. Their rejection on this claim is absolute made up nonsense and they should be ashamed of themselves for it. Sadly they’ll more likely be rubbing their hands with glee. It’s a game to them. Again, you’ll need to appeal it but I fear this will be complicated. All they will need to do is lie about what time the bus arrived and it becomes your word against theirs.
Definitely appeal as delay repay is paid regardless of the reason for the delay. They are simply making up rules that don't exist.
Do what they do best it seems.
Im starting to wonder if EMR don't like paying out due to the cost or if they are just incompetent.
Why can’t it be both?

Lots of EMR woes it seems, though for some form of balance my wife travelled to Liverpool last Monday, but ended up staying in Sheffield Monday night as she couldn’t get any further, after submitting a claim for 120+ minutes (22 hours qualifies for this) the acceptance email came through at the same time as the ‘Thankyou for creating an account’ email. Quite impressed, although I had bet her £1 that it would be rejected and doubled my money on a rejection reason.

Northern are currently taking around 5 to 7 days to process claims and then a further full week for free tickets to arrive in the post
Which is very much improved over when Carillion (?) in Sheffield used to run the system a few years ago.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

I've done exactly the same on a few occasions. On one occasion when the train I was due to catch was cancelled and the next was delayed, I walked to the next station on the line (one closer to my destination). I did this so I could pop in the Tesco, next to the station, instead of waiting at a station with no local amenities for an hour. On all occasions I've intended to get my usual train and only revised my plans due to delays or cancellations.

I find Northern tend to accept or reject within 7 days, and then slightly quicker if you join the appeal route.

I found Northern to be slow in December. One I submitted at the start of December got approved over 2 weeks later when I got an email saying the payment will be made in x 'working days'. It seems they didn't count any of the days between 24th December and 4th January as working days, as it was around the 3rd working day of 2022 when the payment arrived in my bank. It was a £25 payment, which was why I didn't choose the free ticket option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blinkbonny

A new low from Avanti. On submitting a fairly straightforward single ticket delay and inputting the journey and ticket number, their web site informs me that they have identified the ticket involved and no further information or image is required. Very helpful thinks I - and no more than should be the standard level of service.

Not a bit of it. Claim unsuccessful: "Unfortunately, the journey information is not displayed on your ticket image."

No, that's because you explicitly told me that you had identified the ticket and no image was required! <(

robbeech

Established Member
This is rife, I’ve had this exact scenario with EMR and Hull Trains. You enter the ticket number and it actually prohibits you from uploading an image at that point as it’s happy with the ticket number. Then it rejects 100% of those claims because you didn’t upload an image. It’s getting harder and harder to put it down to incompetence. I don’t truly believe that people that incompetent could even make their way to the office unassisted so I smell a rat.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is rife, I’ve had this exact scenario with EMR and Hull Trains. You enter the ticket number and it actually prohibits you from uploading an image at that point as it’s happy with the ticket number. Then it rejects 100% of those claims because you didn’t upload an image. It’s getting harder and harder to put it down to incompetence. I don’t truly believe that people that incompetent could even make their way to the office unassisted so I smell a rat.
I claimed from EMR not long ago and had no problems uploading an image of the tickets, so it doesn’t seem to be a problem across the board.

Blinkbonny

Nobody is saying you can't upload images. What happens is that you are told that you have no need to upload an image, and indeed can't do so. And then your claim is denied because you have not uploaded an image!

Presumably at this point the claimant may give up or indeed may have thrown their ticket away.

Personally I am not inclined to let this go. I do not expect to have go through all this to claim a fiver that I am indisputably due and intend to take this further. I recently had to help my nephew to claim for a three hour plus delay that took three attempts before they got it right.

I'd be grateful if anybody else can confirm that an Avanti claim can result in a message that your ticket has been identified and that you have no need to upload a ticket, and indeed can't do so. (I'm always prepared to countenance that I may have got it wrong!)

I regard my time as being of value even if Avanti don't.

robbeech

Established Member
Nobody is saying you can't upload images. What happens is that you are told that you have no need to upload an image, and indeed can't do so. And then your claim is denied because you have not uploaded an image!

So you ARE saying you can’t upload images!
I haven’t claimed with Avanti in some time, but certainly when I Have had this, at the point where you enter a ticket number you have then no longer been able to upload an image. It’s not just a message saying “ we do not need it “ it has prohibited you from doing so.

Jammeeget

I had a claim rejected by Northern because, on the form I had to fill in, I accidentally chose a different train than the northern one, (I chose the 17:11 instead of 17:21). Both trains from Leeds to Doncaster on 20th Feb. They came back and rejected it on the basis that the train I selected was a CrossCountry train, which it was, and told me to get in contact with CC.

I have since replied explaining that it was a mistake on my behalf, that it was in fact the 17:21 train I got on and advised them to check the ticket I had uploaded which clearly states “Northern Only” on it, so I wouldn’t have been able to get on the CrossCountry train anyway. Regardless, this was the day where we bad storms and flooding in the UK, and every train from Leeds to Doncaster around that time had been cancelled, so i had to wait 2 hours and then get on the LNER service back. The last reply I had from them was over a week ago, and I also put a claim in for a train that was cancelled in the morning over a week ago and that has had no response, what should I do?