• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay Declined, two TOC's involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonatron

Southeastern A scheduled depart 08:03 - B (London Bridge) scheduled arrival 08:13 Actual arrival: 08:16 (3 minutes late)
Thameslink B scheduled depart 08:21 Cancelled, next at 08:36

COMP1 submitted 22/06/2022 declined 27/06/2022
Rejection reason:
We have checked the journey you have claimed for and our records show that this service was operated by another train operator (London South Eastern Railway). We are unable to compensate for another train operator, so please be advised that you will need to make a claim with them directly.

COMP2 submitted 28/06/2022 declined 05/07/2022
Rejection reason:
Having checked our records for the details of the delay you provided to us, our systems show that the delay was less than 15 minutes, which is below the minimum threshold for which you are entitled to Delay Repay compensation.

Contact us form submitted 05/07/2022
No copy of text, but was asking why claims were rejected for invalid reasons.

Reply 11/07/2022:

I can see that your claim was declined due to the first leg between [A] and London Bridge being delayed and causing a missed connection, this service was operated by London South Eastern Railway.

I appreciate that the second leg from London Bridge at 08:21 was cancelled, but Delay Repay works that the service that caused the first delay is at fault.

My Reply:

I can see that the first leg was delayed by 3 minutes.

The second leg would have been at 08:21, but was cancelled. 5 minutes is more than sufficient time to change platforms at London Bridge.

Using the same logic as you're using, if I took two trains from A-B and B-C, and the train from A-B was 1 second late, and I had 1 hour (minus 1 second) to change platforms at B, and the train from B-C was 700 years late, the delay be caused by train A-B. Please explain how this works?

Reply 18/07/2022:

I’m sorry to learn that you’re unhappy with our previous response. As you were previously advised Delay Repay compensation is payable by the train operating company that caused the initial delay on the journey. This is followed by all train operating companies.
As your initial Delay was caused by London South Eastern Railway, you will need to contact them to discuss your Delay Repay compensation.

My Reply:

Please see the National Rail Conditions of Travel Section 32:

32. Claiming Compensation for Delays and/or Cancellations
32.1 If you are delayed in reaching your destination as a result of a delay or cancellation of
a train service, you may be entitled to claim compensation from the Train Company
that is responsible for the delay in completing your journey.
Your claim can be made to any Train Company whose services you used to make
your journey, who will, if necessary, forward your claim to the Train Company
responsible.

The train company responsible for the delay was Thameslink, because the train was cancelled. The 3 minute delay from Southeastern was inconsequential, as previously explained using a simple example. If you believe Southeastern is responsible, which obviously defies all logic and common sense to any reasonable person, you can forward my claim on to them. If there are any rules, regulations, conditions, legislation, or procedures that changes this, please let me know exactly what these are.

Additionally, the GTR Passenger Charter states:

If you were delayed by another train
operator and it affects your journey with us, you can claim with either operator although it will be
quicker to claim from the operator responsible for the delay.

Reply 28/07/2022:

It’s great to hear from you, but unfortunately your concerns relate to a different train company so we’re not going to be able to help on this occasion.

To save you any further hassle, we will pass your details on to the right company. This is in line with our privacy policy, but if you’d like to view that in full a copy can be found at: https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/terms-of-use/privacy-policy.

London Southeastern Railway should be in touch shortly, but if you require an update or have something to add, you’ll be able to contact them directly at: https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/ or by phone 0345 322 7021.

--

No contact from Southeastern as of 06/08/2022. Should I chase Southeastern, or go to Rail Ombudsman after 05/07/2022 + 40 working days = 30/08/2022 ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheAlbanach_

London Bridge connection time is 10 minutes so they are correct as your journey did not leave the appropriate amount of time to change trains.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
London Bridge connection time is 10 minutes so they are correct as your journey did not leave the appropriate amount of time to change trains.
Yes, so no claim can be made for the full journey (unless of course the OP was somehow issued with an itinerary using these trains).

However in principle the OP would otherwise be in the right, and would otherwise be correct in appealing the matter as far as possible internally with Thameslink. If that didn't get them anywhere, they would have the option of taking it to the Rail Ombudsman. They could alternatively also take the matter up with their MP, or consider taking legal action.

But obviously in this case there's nothing more the OP can do.

miklcct

On Moderation
If the ticket is a paper ticket which offers break of journey facility, I'll just put in the claim for the second leg - I did that when I used a subminimum connection at West Hampstead.

skyhigh

Established Member
If the ticket is a paper ticket which offers break of journey facility, I'll just put in the claim for the second leg - I did that when I used a subminimum connection at West Hampstead.
Which sounds remarkably like a fraudulent claim.

miklcct

On Moderation
Which sounds remarkably like a fraudulent claim.
I could reasonably interpret that I made 2 journeys, as the railway considers that it's not possible to make one journey using the timing provided, and I did actually leave the railway property at West Hampstead and reenter there.

miklcct

On Moderation
Yes, I advise people not to do this. Claiming a break of journey when none was taken is dishonest, and can lead to problems.
In such case, I can go out the station and get in again (which I did at West Hampstead) in order to claim that I broke my journey, and as long as I get in the station and onto the platform before the scheduled time of the cancelled train, I can then have a valid claim.

skyhigh

Established Member
I could reasonably interpret that I made 2 journeys
You're leaving the origin station and arriving at the destination station at the earliest time the train company says you can arrive there. I really don't see how anyone can reasonably claim that's 2 journeys, or that you were delayed and I don't think a TOC would agree with that line of reasoning.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, I advise people not to do this. Claiming a break of journey when none was taken is dishonest, and can lead to problems.
There is no definition of break of journey. The railway can't have its cake and eat it; if the connection time means that a certain connection isn't "valid" then I fail to see why you can't claim for just part of your journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

There's not a lot that could be done if you split tickets there, even if it is somewhat immoral to change your chosen definition of "journey" to suit what you feel like, but if you didn't split then you'd be outright lying about the trains you took which is easily provable fraud. I really wouldn't suggest doing that.

Even easier to prove on an e-ticket as they'd know when you had scanned in at the start.

There is no definition of break of journey. The railway can't have its cake and eat it; if the connection time means that a certain connection isn't "valid" then I fail to see why you can't claim for just part of your journey.

It happens all the time crossing London where the times given are quite generous. Getting an earlier train is just a bonus; any payment should be calculated based on the timetabled arrival time in your itinerary.

(What they would do if you took an earlier connection and that got stuck for several hours with the one on the itinerary flying past on time I have no idea...)

miklcct

On Moderation
It happens all the time crossing London where the times given are quite generous. Getting an earlier train is just a bonus; any payment should be calculated based on the timetabled arrival time in your itinerary.
The ticket permits break of journey.

So I made a journey to London, and another journey from London, breaking my journey in between to buy a fast food at the McDonald's outside the station.

In both parts to/from London I was following an itinerary, which was separate to the other.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The ticket permits break of journey.

So I made a journey to London, and another journey from London, breaking my journey in between to buy a fast food at the McDonald's outside the station.

In both parts to/from London I was following an itinerary, which was separate to the other.

I don't believe you can use BoJ to claim for Delay Repay that would not be available if it was a through journey. Break of Journey involves travelling LATER from an intermediate point than your itinerary theoretically would provide.

(The definition that it simply involves leaving the station does not exist any more, so we revert to the definition in law of "the man on the Clapham omnibus" i.e. what an average person would think it meant)

skyhigh

Established Member
Yes, but the total time making the journey was the minimum allowed by the railway i.e. the cancelled train wasn't a valid connection, so there's no way you'd have been in London in time to make the minimum connection time for the cancelled train. That's clearly wrong.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think there is a difference here between what we might feel is morally owed, and how train companies treat people who do this!

Snow1964

Established Member
The whole delay repay process involving a journey with 2 TOCs need to be fixed. This is not the first time people have come on here with the 2 companies playing ping pong and denying the customer and telling customer to claim off another.

They really ought to be more customer focused and if your journey involves 2 trains, both delayed, then should be able to send claim to either, with an internal clearing and processing system sorting it out.

I have been on receiving end of this in past, train 1 delayed 25 minutes, missed connection (which runs approx hourly), had to get next train (which was actually 59 mins, not hour later), but that arrived 2 minutes late (so 61 mins total), but getting second company to recognise 2 mins delay screwed up whole claim.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The whole delay repay process involving a journey with 2 TOCs need to be fixed.

The fix is a single DR clearing house, taking it out of the TOCs' hands entirely. The duplication is wasteful anyway.

As there is no definition of break of journey any more, it falls to the definition of the Man on the Clapham Omnibus, i.e. what an average person would think it meant, which is going to be something like "stopping off for longer than necessary for your connection for reasons of your choosing". The OP hasn't done that, they have taken the first train forward (which happened to be earlier than that prescribed due to a stroke of luck), thus they have not broken their journey.

miklcct

On Moderation
As there is no definition of break of journey any more, it falls to the definition of the Man on the Clapham Omnibus, i.e. what an average person would think it meant, which is going to be something like "stopping off for longer than necessary for your connection for reasons of your choosing". The OP hasn't done that, they have taken the first train forward (which happened to be earlier than that prescribed due to a stroke of luck), thus they have not broken their journey.
So a man on the Clapham bus won't think that buying fast food while changing trains is breaking the journey, right? I have heard that Clapham Junction actually enforces no break of journey restriction on Advance tickets, what will happen if I want to get to the ASDA between the two legs of booked trains on an Advance ticket?

stew

Can anyone point me to where BOJ is referred to in any t’s and c’s as I can’t find it on the TOCs which I use?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can anyone point me to where BOJ is referred to in any t’s and c’s as I can’t find it on the TOCs which I use?
Condition 16 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (Part C) is a starting point.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So a man on the Clapham bus won't think that buying fast food while changing trains is breaking the journey, right?

As long as there's enough time between the trains in their itinerary, no, the average person wouldn't call popping out of the station between trains breaking your journey.

I have heard that Clapham Junction actually enforces no break of journey restriction on Advance tickets, what will happen if I want to get to the ASDA between the two legs of booked trains on an Advance ticket?

There has been an anecdotal statement that CLJ barrier staff did do this. How often they have done it or if it's only one member of staff is for debate - certainly I've popped out to the M&S and Maccy's there on a few occasions before and always been let through. (In most cases the ticket opens the gate on the way out anyway).

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
So a man on the Clapham bus won't think that buying fast food while changing trains is breaking the journey, right? I have heard that Clapham Junction actually enforces no break of journey restriction on Advance tickets, what will happen if I want to get to the ASDA between the two legs of booked trains on an Advance ticket?
For clarity, it may be worth pointing out that 'the man on the Clapham omnibus ' is a figure of speech in British English with no particular relevance to Clapham (or, indeed, to omnibuses). It's meant to suggest an ordinary, sensible adult with no special knowledge of whatever matter is under discussion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Condition 16 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (Part C) is a starting point.

Thanks. There's a non-binding information box there which should guide interpretation:

INFORMATION: Most Tickets allow you to break your journey. This means
that you do not have to make the whole of your journey at the same time
or, where allowed, on the same day.

_toommm_

Established Member
As long as there's enough time between the trains in their itinerary, no, the average person wouldn't call popping out of the station between trains breaking your journey.

There has been an anecdotal statement that CLJ barrier staff did do this. How often they have done it or if it's only one member of staff is for debate - certainly I've popped out to the M&S and Maccy's there on a few occasions before and always been let through. (In most cases the ticket opens the gate on the way out anyway).

I’ve been let through several times at CLJ on advances. Never worked the barriers but always been let through and they remembered me on the way back in.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So a man on the Clapham bus won't think that buying fast food while changing trains is breaking the journey, right?
Correct. Most people wouldn’t, if asked, think that was a “break of journey”, especially if you then board the first available train and didn’t “let any go” in between.

@Watershed neatly describes how the railway doesn’t define - and in my opinion actively avoids - describing what BoJ is, but this should make you cautious about claiming you’ve broken your journey. This is especially the case as you appear to be using it as a ruse to claim money which otherwise wouldn’t be due under the scheme for the journey which you took.

“You see your honour, my journey wasn’t offered on the planners as I wanted to make a really fast connection at a station. In fact it’s such a short connection it’s not offered as one journey. So, I went to the barrier, swiped in and out, and took the first train I could, the one in fact before the timetabled connection. I’ve made two journeys!” That probably wouldn’t be a very good argument in a courtroom situation, not that it is likely to ever get there.

etr221

If I arrive by train at station, exit it/pass out through barriers, perform an action/transaction, enter station, pass in through barriers, and depart by train, am I making 2 journeys (ending one, starting another), breaking a journey or making an OSI connection? What determines which it is?

And my other comment on this is that for many/most passengers, their itinerary is essentially "go to station, catch first train" (and repeat if change required)... and that their view on 'Delay Repay' is that it should be based the first train indicated when they arrived at the station (which barring cancelletions) would be the one they did.

MotCO

Established Member
If I arrive by train at station, exit it/pass out through barriers, perform an action/transaction, enter station, pass in through barriers, and depart by train, am I making 2 journeys (ending one, starting another), breaking a journey or making an OSI connection? What determines which it is?

And my other comment on this is that for many/most passengers, their itinerary is essentially "go to station, catch first train" (and repeat if change required)... and that their view on 'Delay Repay' is that it should be based the first train indicated when they arrived at the station (which barring cancelletions) would be the one they did.
I would define these as follows:

1. 2 journeys would be two different directions, i.e. A to B and B to A.
2. Break of Journey would be where you did not travel on the fastest scheduled journey between two points by stopping off midway and catching a later train.
3. OSI connection is surely where you walk from A to B, where A and B are on separate lines.

Willing to be contradicted!

miklcct

On Moderation
2. Break of Journey would be where you did not travel on the fastest scheduled journey between two points by stopping off midway and catching a later train.
3. OSI connection is surely where you walk from A to B, where A and B are on separate lines.
What if I skip part of the itinerary by means of walking / alternative transport, in order to catch an earlier train than the itinerary provides?

For example, I have an Aylesbury - Apsley return ticket with itinerary 19:12 Apsley - 19:41 Euston and 20:57 Marylebone - 21:53 Aylesbury on the return portion, however as I don't need to stop off at London while returning, I leave the train at Watford Junction at 19:20, walk to Watford to take the Metropolitan Line, take the tube departing 19:52, transfer to the Amersham train at Moor Park at 20:01, then the 20:18 train at Rickmansworth to the ultimate destination Aylesbury scheduled to arrive at 20:52 (61 minutes before the fastest National Rail itinerary).

Unfortunately the Chiltern Railways train is delayed by 30 minutes. I then put in a Delay Repay claim for the Rickmansworth - Aylesbury leg, claiming that I broke my journey and resumed at Rickmansworth upon returning. Will a man on the Clapham bus think that I really broke my Apsley - Aylesbury journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.