• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay Declined, two TOC's involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

etr221

To clarify, this (my post/question) was about travel A-B-C, and what happened at B (or B1 & B2 - depending on whether it's one station, with one or more gatelines, or two ) - where which it is unclear and there is an argument to be made any/all of the three options.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
So a man on the Clapham bus won't think that buying fast food while changing trains is breaking the journey, right? I have heard that Clapham Junction actually enforces no break of journey restriction on Advance tickets, what will happen if I want to get to the ASDA between the two legs of booked trains on an Advance ticket?
I think there's an English idiom here you haven't come across before. "Man on the Clapham omnibus" is a saying that simply means "an ordinary person." "The man in the street" is another, as is "Joe Bloggs." The man on the Clapham omnibus isn't (generally!) on a bus or going to Clapham. :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What if I skip part of the itinerary by means of walking / alternative transport, in order to catch an earlier train than the itinerary provides?

For example, I have an Aylesbury - Apsley return ticket with itinerary 19:12 Apsley - 19:41 Euston and 20:57 Marylebone - 21:53 Aylesbury on the return portion, however as I don't need to stop off at London while returning, I leave the train at Watford Junction at 19:20, walk to Watford to take the Metropolitan Line, take the tube departing 19:52, transfer to the Amersham train at Moor Park at 20:01, then the 20:18 train at Rickmansworth to the ultimate destination Aylesbury scheduled to arrive at 20:52 (61 minutes before the fastest National Rail itinerary).

Unfortunately the Chiltern Railways train is delayed by 30 minutes. I then put in a Delay Repay claim for the Rickmansworth - Aylesbury leg, claiming that I broke my journey and resumed at Rickmansworth upon returning. Will a man on the Clapham bus think that I really broke my Apsley - Aylesbury journey?
The test for a reasonable person when confronted with this question is likely to be along the lines whether you did something substantial and meaningful other than travel between what you claim are two journeys. Taking a short cut and getting somewhere faster is not likely to satisfy normies that you made two journeys.

Taking a trip to Euston on that ticket, then meeting a friend for a drink, or stopping off at a museum, and making use of the rest of the ticket later than planned is much more likely to satisfy that test.

skyhigh

Established Member
The test for a reasonable person when confronted with this question is likely to be along the lines whether you did something substantial and meaningful other than travel between what you claim are two journeys. Taking a short cut and getting somewhere faster is not likely to satisfy normies that you made two journeys.
Especially given in the example given by @miklcct there was no way he could have completed the journey as a through journey given the minimum connection time - so how you can argue you've been delayed by missing a connecting train after a break of journey that you couldn't officially have got doing the trip as a through journey is beyond me.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think there's an English idiom here you haven't come across before. "Man on the Clapham omnibus" is a saying that simply means "an ordinary person." "The man in the street" is another, as is "Joe Bloggs." The man on the Clapham omnibus isn't (generally!) on a bus or going to Clapham. :)
And other Claphams are available!

miklcct

On Moderation
I have already come across this in Hong Kong. He's called the man on the Shaukiwan tram.

Especially given in the example given by @miklcct there was no way he could have completed the journey as a through journey given the minimum connection time - so how you can argue you've been delayed by missing a connecting train after a break of journey that you couldn't officially have got doing the trip as a through journey is beyond me.

Thanks for your explanation. Cambridge Dictionary have the following definition for break-journey:
used to refer to an occasion when you interrupt your journey for a period of time:

The journey has been interrupted at Watford Junction in my example but not for a period of time though.

mmh

Established Member
And other Claphams are available!
Absolutely. I recommend the Clapham in Bedfordshire, where the, sadly no longer, Rhythm Festival was held at a former WW2 airfield. Infinitely better than the London railway station. (Which isn't in, that, Clapham) :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Infinitely better than the London railway station. (Which isn't in, that, Clapham)
Some of the London Clapham stations are in Clapham, just not the most well known!

jonatron

Update: Southeastern have approved the claim. It makes no sense to me, and it would've been easier if Thameslink did what they're supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.