• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiss_Trains

Ok, I will begin with saying that, thanks to some foresight to stay on a train in my journey, I am thankfully not delayed and instead currently zooming towards Cheltenham.

I got on an XC train from Sheffield heading for Plymouth at 17.56 (Delayed to 18.04). As I'm approaching Birmingham New St (Change point for the Cardiff train), I notice that the upcoming Cardiff Central train is cancelled, somehow without any notification or realisation from Trainline.

I spoke to the train manager who allowed me to stay on until Newport and then change.

------ Hypothetically... ------------

If I had got off at Birmingham NS and let this train go, any ticketing app says that I would not have arrived at Barry, my final destination until 8.25 tomorrow morning.

What sort of delay repay or refund mechanism would this have enabled me to use? And should it be used now if you know what I mean?

Ticket Details:

Hull (16.25) -> Sheffield (17.48)

Sheffield (17.56) -> Birmingham NS (19.04)

Birmingham NS (19.30) -> Cardiff C (21.22)
Cancelled

Cardiff C (21.41) -> Barry (22.05)

Advanced Single with 16-17 Saver (Return cost: £58)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
What sort of delay repay or refund mechanism would this have enabled me to use? And should it be used now if you know what I mean?
Under your PRO right you would be entitled to rerouting to your destination at the earliest convenience. This kicks in as soon as the estimated delay goes over 1 hour.

Had you got off the train at Birmingham, once you realised you couldn't complete your journey you should talk to station staff, who would be able to offer on the ground advice, and if within hours talk to the twitter team/phone the company that cancelled. They would be able to give further advice and get you to your destination, either by booking a hotel and endorsing for travel the next day, or booking a taxi from Cardiff.

Now the above is what should happen in theory. In reality it depends on luck who you end up speaking to, and they'll probably tell you to ask at Cardiff, where they'll tell you tough luck. However the rerouteing is an entitlement, and if staff on the ground refuse you can try to get a taxi yourself, or if that isn't possible book a hotel and travel the next day. You will then be able to claim all these costs back from the TOC which delayed you (They will probably argue but you have to insist). Would also be worth asking around the station if the first staff member says no, when you are delayed it is only the delaying TOCs responsibility to help, but if the cancellation or delay leaves you stranded any TOC must help you.

Swiss_Trains

Under your PRO right you would be entitled to rerouting to your destination at the earliest convenience. This kicks in as soon as the estimated delay goes over 1 hour.

Had you got off the train at Birmingham, once you realised you couldn't complete your journey you should talk to station staff, who would be able to offer on the ground advice, and if within hours talk to the twitter team/phone the company that cancelled. They would be able to give further advice and get you to your destination, either by booking a hotel and endorsing for travel the next day, or booking a taxi from Cardiff.

Now the above is what should happen in theory. In reality it depends on luck who you end up speaking to, and they'll probably tell you to ask at Cardiff, where they'll tell you tough luck. However the rerouteing is an entitlement, and if staff on the ground refuse you can try to get a taxi yourself, or if that isn't possible book a hotel and travel the next day. You will then be able to claim all these costs back from the TOC which delayed you (They will probably argue but you have to insist). Would also be worth asking around the station if the first staff member says no, when you are delayed it is only the delaying TOCs responsibility to help, but if the cancellation or delay leaves you stranded any TOC must help you.

Would it be completely unacceptable to claim for something like an abandoned journey given my current situation?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would it be completely unacceptable to claim for something like an abandoned journey given my current situation?
You can only claim for an abandoned journey if you don't complete your journey and you return to your origin station.

If your arrival at Barry is delayed by more than 30 minutes then you can claim Delay Repay. Any claim should be based on what actually happened not a hypothetical situation of what might have happened.

Train companies have been known to prosecute people for fraudulantly claiming Delay Repay/Refunds.

Swiss_Trains

You can only claim for an abandoned journey if you don't complete your journey and you return to your origin station.

If your arrival at Barry is delayed by more than 30 minutes then you can claim Delay Repay. Any claim should be based on what actually happened not a hypothetical situation of what might have happened.

Train companies have been known to prosecute people for fraudulantly claiming Delay Repay/Refunds.
Understood. Thank for the advice

Alex365Dash

Now the above is what should happen in theory. In reality it depends on luck who you end up speaking to, and they'll probably tell you to ask at Cardiff, where they'll tell you tough luck.
Whilst generally this is the case whilst attempting to exercise your rights under the PRO, NRCoT Condition 28.2 would also apply in this hypothetical scenario, which train operators do generally tend to listen to a bit more.

This is also better because unlike the PRO, any TOC that can help is contractually obligated to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.