• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed - would you rather......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent_c

If its a choice between nothing and something, I'll take the something. However, I'd be happy with a real apology (by human, not PA system) and a recognition of inconvience by way of a drink and voucher I can use in the station....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
tried to delete a comment on a post way back: rather pointless to post it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

westv

Established Member
Anything to reduce the several £k I pay for tickets each year is welcomed by me so I have to admit I do get a little annoyed when I miss out on a delay repay by a few minutes LOL!!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I do not believe it is a great service at all. I would be most unimpressed if a guard asked me for my details merely because I happened to be on a delayed train.

That's what happens on a lot of "incident" trains (Stuck over 2 hours etc) on Virgin and XC.

Grumpy!

sheff1

Established Member
That's what happens on a lot of "incident" trains (Stuck over 2 hours etc) on Virgin and XC.

What purpose does asking for my details serve ? Knowing who I am will not shorten the delay.

If I was really (self) important, I would be going up to them and saying "Don't you know who I am ? I demand to be evacuated by helicopter immediately !" :D

Timrud

The one time I tried to claim, EMT wrote back and said the train wasn't even delayed, despite being almost an hour late

IanD

Established Member
Maybe the guard on the delayed train could go round and give everyone a delay ticket, so there's proof they travelled? OK< sometimes the guard would be working on the delay, and that would be impossible, but that could be noted by the company if these tickets weren't issued?

Not everyone on a delayed train is still delayed at their destination.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not everyone on a delayed train is still delayed at their destination.

And conversely, the train may only be delayed by 10-15 minutes, but that could mean an hour or more delay at destination for some passengers.

And a train could be running over 30 minutes late at an intermediate station, but recover somewhat by the final station

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What purpose does asking for my details serve ? Knowing who I am will not shorten the delay.

If I was really (self) important, I would be going up to them and saying "Don't you know who I am ? I demand to be evacuated by helicopter immediately !" :D

Well, if you're on an "incident train", the passenger list is used to proactively contact those affected who usually get enhanced compensation well above what the DR scheme would provide.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
And conversely, the train may only be delayed by 10-15 minutes, but that could mean an hour or more delay at destination for some passengers.

And a train could be running over 30 minutes late at an intermediate station, but recover somewhat by the final station

You could also have a situation like the xx:00 Euston to Manchester service being cancelled and passengers having to travel on the xx:20 instead. For Stoke, Stockport and Manchester passengers the delay would be around 20 minutes but unless the xx:20 makes an additional call at Macclesfield passengers planning to alight at Macclesfield would end up over 30 minutes late. Someone might say simple enough endorse all the Macclesfield tickets but that has 2 problems:
1. Someone for Macclesfield might have planned to catch the later train and changed over the earlier direct train.
2. They may passengers with tickets for stations like Adlington, Prestbury, Cheadle Hulme, Kidsgrove, Congleton, Heaton Chapel, Davenport etc. How long would it take the TM to work out which tickets did and didn't need endorsing?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The only endorsement needed would be a traditional grip embossing the headcode onto the ticket. But the cost of those stampers has meant that most (all?) TOCs no longer use them.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The only endorsement needed would be a traditional grip embossing the headcode onto the ticket. But the cost of those stampers has meant that most (all?) TOCs no longer use them.

Yes, these are Zifa stampers. Quite expensive, and very easy to rub off the ink. The indent remains, but this cannot be picked up on a scanned copy. This is why they're falling out of favour.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Yes, these are Zifa stampers. Quite expensive, and very easy to rub off the ink. The indent remains, but this cannot be picked up on a scanned copy. This is why they're falling out of favour.

The ink couldn't easily be rubbed off on the old style tickets which weren't glossy.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Passengers who don't travel get a refund on their ticket from the point of purchase and are therefore not eligible for Delay Repay.

*repeatedly kicks and punches ticket machine in an effort to get a refund*

sheff1

Established Member
Well, if you're on an "incident train", the passenger list is used to proactively contact those affected who usually get enhanced compensation well above what the DR scheme would provide.

Thanks for that. Clearly I have never been on an incident train then, even though I have had delays of over 2 hours, but should it ever happen I might reconsider providing my details. :o

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thanks for that. Clearly I have never been on an incident train then, even though I have had delays of over 2 hours, but should it ever happen I might reconsider providing my details. :o

Yes, as an example, Virgin and XC used to offer standard DR comp in cash (even in the old days of voucher only), a bespoke, detailed letter, plus extra complimentary tickets commensurate with the class of travel. Sometimes extra gestures were granted, it really depended on the incident.

robbeech

Established Member
The one time I tried to claim, EMT wrote back and said the train wasn't even delayed, despite being almost an hour late

EMT wrote to me recently telling me that a train i claimed for wasn't delayed according to their records.
Sadly according to my records, it wasn't just delayed it was cancelled. And the following service missed a connection making the journey well over 2 hours late. I am still waiting to see what they say for that, though they cannot even get their clocks right on station TVMs so i don't suppose i will get anywhere.

Rob

rebmcr

Established Member
EMT wrote to me recently telling me that a train i claimed for wasn't delayed according to their records.
Sadly according to my records, it wasn't just delayed it was cancelled. And the following service missed a connection making the journey well over 2 hours late. I am still waiting to see what they say for that, though they cannot even get their clocks right on station TVMs so i don't suppose i will get anywhere.

Rob

If they are particularly unhelpful, Passenger Focus might be your next point of contact.

Established Member
It depends for me really, if it was a massive inconvenience and my onward journey was missed because of a late train, then I would put a claim in. If I'm just out and about on the rails for the day and not going anywhere important, then I probably wouldn't bother.

infobleep

Veteran Member
When I use to commute to Harrow from Euston, if the 8.24 was cancelled and the 8.36 was run fast to Tring or also cancelled, I'd get compensation as the Overground service to Watford Junction always got me into Harrow exactly 30 minutes after the 8.24 should!

If wouldn't occur if the 8.36 were cancelled and you were aiming for the 8.36 because the Overground service leaves soon enough after that service for you not to be 30 minutes late.

I'd get a £5 back each time. In about 2-3 years I must have claimed about 3-4 times.

Technically if one was aiming for the 8.36 and they knew the 8.24 was cancelled they could claim as who'd know. I don't do that myself however but if I had done, I probably could have claimed a further couple of times I guess.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't believe in claiming for incidents relating to deaths in the railway or weather problems but I might claim to make up for all the times when I've been delayed and the train staff haven't apologised or said why we were late and I get delayed by 20 minutes due to a missed official connection. I'm more frustrated at not being told why I'm late, than getting delay repay.

If your using a ticket that has a useful alternative route that's not widely known or undercuts some other fare, would you claim compensation or would you feel that might alert the TOC to the route you've taken and get the routing guide amended?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
If your using a ticket that has a useful alternative route that's not widely known or undercuts some other fare, would you claim compensation or would you feel that might alert the TOC to the route you've taken and get the routing guide amended?

No I would not. This situation arose the other week. I would have been entitled to ~£4 Delay Repay, but the tickets undercut the point to point fare by £6.50 a time. Probably doubtful that the link would be made by the Delay Repay people but, as I use the tickets regularly, it was not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.