• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aeion

I know guys at our depot who were waiting over two years for their start date. Things are for ever changing and nothing is guaranteed until you have a signed contract on the railway mate. Out of curiosity which TOC is it?

JohnFM

Hi

Out of interest has anyone been put through and passed a medical for a trainee train driver job or talent pool only for nothing to ever come of it ie no job offer for whatever reason?

My point being I assume this is almost unheard of/very rare due to the expenditure of the medical and the administration time but maybe I am wrong?

You tried to tell me via PM that I was wrong in what I said previously. Now you know I was correct.

You are in the pool. You may be chosen if, after a sift, you're deemed to be one of the best at that current time.

Until a written job offer comes in you're not guaranteed anything.

There are cases on here whereby folk have waited 2 years before they are taken from the talent pool and offered a job.

A-driver

Established Member
Hi

Out of interest has anyone been put through and passed a medical for a trainee train driver job or talent pool only for nothing to ever come of it ie no job offer for whatever reason?

My point being I assume this is almost unheard of/very rare due to the expenditure of the medical and the administration time but maybe I am wrong?

Secondly if recruitment tells you either verbally or in writing you are guaranteed a job offer pending a start date/in the future, whilst clearly nothing is set in stone till the contract and they are obviously in there rights to do as they wish, does this not then surely mean they have a space allocated for you even if the date is uncertain? For something to be guaranteed it must also mean the near future not the distant future as the longer you go into the future it is hard to see how anything is 'guaranteed' not to mention assessment validity and medical validity.

I am also assuming with talent pool situations it is rare for recruitment to make such promises and usually it is even said nothing is guaranteed?

I suppose it is a way of protecting their investment in medicals as well though that is getting a bit cynical

Of course high up members of recruitment are normally correct in what they tell you and it see,s unlikely they would state anything as promissory without intent as that would only create an aftermath of calls and emails from candidates who were basically told with 100% certainty they would be progressed

Thoughts?

I don't want to sound blunt, unkind or dismissive so please take this in the kindest way possible. You have posted a lot on here about how you are waiting for a start date and have asked the same question time and time again by PM and within threads plus starting up another thread to ask the same. I fully appreciate you are excited about the possibility of starting as a driver but the harsh reality is that until you have a firm offer of employment and start date (ie signed a contract with start date) you are not garunteed employment. Therefore carry on with your life as you did before applying. Of course that is easier said than done but continue with your current job like normal, if you are see other driver jobs come up then feel free to apply for them etc but don't put your life and career on hold whilst waiting for a start date from GTR.

I appreciate that is far easy for me to say than you to do but so,e people go from application to job in weeks and others in months, even years. No one on here can give you the answers you want and it's a case of waiting I'm afraid.

In short, GTR are still heavily recruiting and you are in the pool of people waiting for start dates. I'd say there is more than 95% chance you will get a start date. When it will be no one on here can tell you.

Robcuk

you have to learn a little patience and let the recruitment run at its own pace. There is no point guessing start dates by what has happened previously - just wait and at some point in the near future you and the other guys in the 'talent pool' will receive some positive news.

red2005

Railway HR is notoriously slow!.........just hang fire and keep everything crossed.....when you've been chosen they'll let u know.

Bucko

It is difficult not to get too agitated and restless hanging about waiting for info. In fact my wife is worse than me, everyday asking if I've heard anything.

Tbh, best way to deal with it is to take each stage is it comes. Coming on here reading other peoples guess work, and trying to decifer ideas and gossip is prob the worst thing you can do.

You've done your bit - passed the assessments, got thru the interviews and passed the medicals. Now its arguably the hardest part to conquer - the wait !

johnsonr380

It is difficult not to get too agitated and restless hanging about waiting for info. In fact my wife is worse than me, everyday asking if I've heard anything.

Tbh, best way to deal with it is to take each stage is it comes. Coming on here reading other peoples guess work, and trying to decifer ideas and gossip is prob the worst thing you can do.

You've done your bit - passed the assessments, got thru the interviews and passed the medicals. Now its arguably the hardest part to conquer - the wait !

Probably the truest statement I've read here (especially about the wife !) In all reality nobody knows what HR are doing. Lots of speculation, I've been waiting a while lots of ups and downs. It'll all be worth it if or when it comes !

Status
Not open for further replies.