• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Denied Entry to Station when services were still running

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTHV

This is a new one on me. Tried to gain entry to station to get last service of the day.

Whilst on station concourse I was instructed to leave by a member of staff because "the station was closed". Even though there was a service still to depart.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of such events?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
This is a new one on me. Tried to gain entry to Worcester Foregate Street at 2335 to catch the 2340 service out to Shrub Hill.

Whilst on station concourse I was instructed to leave by a female member of staff because "the station was closed". Even though there was a service still to depart.

This is not acceptable. I sincerely hope that you did not leave and you advised her that you were waiting for the 2340 service.

You much certainly report this to the train company that operates the station so they can look into this, take action and compensate you if needed.

Last edited:

Zamracene749

Myself and another passenger once had to jump the fence at Berwick upon Tweed about 10 years back. Doors locked, no sign of anyone- last train to Durham approaching! Mind, having nobody there isn't as bad as some useless xxxx telling you to get out, even though the last train was yet to leave....

Deepgreen

Established Member
This is not acceptable. I sincerely hope that you did not leave and you advised her that you were waiting for the 2340 service.

You much certainly report this to the train company that operates the station so they can look into this, take action and compensate you if needed.

Where did this assumption come from?

Established Member
This happened at Weymouth many years ago, when the layout was a little different. Ended up being taxied back with an admission the wrong door had been locked, just before the last train.

Did see funny side of it though, with the guy locking up the station. He glanced at me, looking back at the tail lights setting off, looking at me in horror, looking back again at the train sailing off.... and behind the glass I'm assuming after the 'facepalm' the word he mouthed was s***! :P

Actually opening stations seems beyond some TOCs with some controls having no plan 'b' when staff go sick
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ngers-take-lives-in-their-hands-after-1242815

One identical incident at Staly in 2008 resulted in my driver having to slam on some years earlier, the ORR/RAIB stated they did not need to investigate.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Without knowing the when/where details, is it possible that you were trying to board a 'set down only' service?

Having seen the original post this morning I did have a nosey at RTT and the train the OP was aiming for did appear to call at the station in question for their final destination, and the journey is advertised on NR too.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I'm curious as to whether the OP was asked to edit their post by a moderator?

Abpj17

Did you not point out to said member of staff that there was still a service due?

City Thameslink can sometimes close before the last service if there are big delays. But it's only a short walk to the next station.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Many, many years ago, I was on a train to Runcorn which was running very late and arrived well after midnight. On alighting, we found the station was locked up and all the alighting passengers were trapped inside. A fellow traveller (not me or anybody I know I hasten to add) then kicked down a fence so everybody could escape to the car park.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I'm curious as to whether the OP was asked to edit their post by a moderator?

Indeed - without these elements it's fairly pointless! If the staff member closed up before the last train, I see no reason to protect them from the forum, as they will/should be brought to book anyway.

On Moderation
A cached copy of the page shows the following
This is a new one on me. Tried to gain entry to Worcester Foregate Street at 2335 to catch the 2340 service out to Shrub Hill.

Taking this at face value, obviously preventing boarding isn't on assuming the OP was being sensible, but if you're that bothered why not take this up with the operator instead of posting it here first?

Oh, and hardly the end of the world. Walk!

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Taking this at face value, obviously preventing boarding isn't on assuming the OP was being sensible, but if you're that bothered why not take this up with the operator instead of posting it here first?

It's a railway discussion forum, and it was something that happened on the railways (and not something of a particularly sensitive nature), so to me it seems to be fair enough to post it here! If it was posted elsewhere on the web, my guess is that the initial post would not have been edited.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Or how about railway staff do their job correctly, and not lock up the station until the last train has departed?

Yes, it's only a short journey, but as it is a journey offered in the timetable it's not up to station staff to decide not to offer it - just like bus drivers cutting routes late at night because "nobody uses that bit".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Indeed - without these elements it's fairly pointless! If the staff member closed up before the last train, I see no reason to protect them from the forum, as they will/should be brought to book anyway.

Far be it from me to challenge your oracle like status but I can think of several issues that might require a rapid departure by station staff. Such as your wife has gone into labour or your father has just collapsed. If that were me I would be away, passengers or no passengers.

While I am sure it will be surly, miserable, militant railway staff out to cause trouble perhaps it is best to know for certain before seeking a bringing to book meeting.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Far be it from me to challenge your oracle like status but I can think of several issues that might require a rapid departure by station staff. Such as your wife has gone into labour or your father has just collapsed. If that were me I would be away, passengers or no passengers.

You'd be up for gross misconduct, then. What about any alighting passengers and the issues caused to them by being trapped in the station?

How likely is such an incident to happen 5 minutes before booking-off time?

While I am sure it will be surly, miserable, militant railway staff out to cause trouble perhaps it is best to know for certain before seeking a bringing to book meeting.

"I'm sorry, but I have to leave now because of a family emergency. Take a taxi, and the train company will refund the cost; I have already cleared it with Control[1]."

[1] Would be necessary to ensure there were no alighting passengers, or to ensure the stop was formally cancelled to ensure nobody was stuck in the station.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You'd be up for gross misconduct, then. What about any alighting passengers and the issues caused to them by being trapped in the station?

How likely is such an incident to happen 5 minutes before booking-off time?

"I'm sorry, but I have to leave now because of a family emergency. Take a taxi, and the train company will refund the cost; I have already cleared it with Control[1]."

[1] Would be necessary to ensure there were no alighting passengers, or to ensure the stop was formally cancelled to ensure nobody was stuck in the station.

I couldn't care less about a charge later. If it was a family member ill ( and I have been there very recently) I would be away. Sorry. I might leave the side gate open if i remembered.

I will admit it is unlikely to happen at the exact moment described by the OP but wanted to make the point that we should be in full possession of the facts before deciding to hang someone.

Last edited:

zaax

I don't know about anywhere else but if your going home early for what ever reason you have to tell your boss or control as they might think you are in trouble and send in the rescue teams.

Johncleesefan

How can some people be ok with this, its a service that is offered and the OP has every right to be pi?!ed about it. Its the tocs responsibility to provide the service and find other means of transporting the passenger. I would of posted a railway related issue for discussion on a railway forum too

Llanigraham

On Moderation

I wonder how accurate the OP's watch was?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I couldn't care less about a charge later. If it was a family member ill ( and I have been there very recently) I would be away. Sorry. I might leave the side gate open if i remembered.

If you mentioned that in an interview I'm certain you would not get that job. Would you also think a Guard or Driver could abandon their train without notifying Control in such circumstances?

A quick call to Control explaining them might well result in the train being cancelled at that station, which would then allow you to lock up and leave, presumably.

gazr

Two sides to every story. I believe this to be a matter for the OP and TOC though, and if not resolved that way, then ask for advice here. England is fast copying the US and becoming a "blame" culture, which is very sad indeed.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Two sides to every story. I believe this to be a matter for the OP and TOC though, and if not resolved that way, then ask for advice here. England is fast copying the US and becoming a "blame" culture, which is very sad indeed.

How is someone asking whether it's okay for staff to lock a station before the last train has left constitute evidence of a "blame culture"?

Such lazy thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.