• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Denied Entry to Station when services were still running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Two sides to every story. I believe this to be a matter for the OP and TOC though, and if not resolved that way, then ask for advice here. England is fast copying the US and becoming a "blame" culture, which is very sad indeed.

Totally agree, but the trouble is too many people now think coming onto this forum and other social networks is the way to bleat, instead of going to the company first.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PermitToTravel

Established Member
I will admit it is unlikely to happen at the exact moment described by the OP but wanted to make the point that we should be in full possession of the facts before deciding to hang someone.

Good thing then that a hanging isn't what we want, but rather the TOC being made aware so that they can have a chance to investigate.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Maybe the member of staff was acting under instruction ?

philthetube

Established Member
Far be it from me to challenge your oracle like status but I can think of several issues that might require a rapid departure by station staff. Such as your wife has gone into labour or your father has just collapsed. If that were me I would be away, passengers or no passengers.

While I am sure it will be surly, miserable, militant railway staff out to cause trouble perhaps it is best to know for certain before seeking a bringing to book meeting.

I would expect procedure to be, Secure ticket office, switch off lifts and go, someone else drive to secure station.

I wonder if anyone got off the train?

rebmcr

Established Member
Totally agree, but the trouble is too many people now think coming onto this forum and other social networks is the way to bleat, instead of going to the company first.

The people who do that will receive no resolution and are just wasting their time, so what's the big deal about it?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

People coming on to a railway forum to discuss things that have happened on the railway.

Whatever is the world coming to.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Complaining via social networks brings the problem to the wider audience, rather than a letter to the company who could give a brush off standard response to a completely different query (GTR) or ignore it for months (GWR/Northern).

Llanigraham

On Moderation
But it appears that some (many) people moan here and on social networks without getting in touch with the "controlling" element.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
There was a similar situation involving Tunbridge Wells recently (and it has been in the local media so can be named).

However rather the last train it involved the first train. The train was there, the customers were there. The only problem was that the station was locked up as it appears there was a scheduling issue with station staff and no one had been allocated to open up in time for the first train. Outcome was the train went without the passengers.

johnnychips

Established Member
But it appears that some (many) people moan here and on social networks without getting in touch with the "controlling" element.

This could be a subject for a separate thread - "Is complaining to the train companies worth it?" Unfortunately, as I haven't had to make any complaints (if you discount delay repay - always settled promptly) then I can't open it!

JamesP

Shame on the OP for having the audacity to point out that someone working in the railway industry may have done something wrong.

That's not allowed on here.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
This could be a subject for a separate thread - "Is complaining to the train companies worth it?" Unfortunately, as I haven't had to make any complaints (if you discount delay repay - always settled promptly) then I can't open it!

I had an issue with DB ticketing which required a few lengthy phone calls to Germany costing some £50. I complained via twitter and e-mail and they actually refunded my phone bill on top of solving original issue.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm curious as to whether the OP was asked to edit their post by a moderator?
No such request was made
Two sides to every story. I believe this to be a matter for the OP and TOC though, and if not resolved that way, then ask for advice here. England is fast copying the US and becoming a "blame" culture, which is very sad indeed.
How bizarre! This has nothing to do with a "blame" culture. You are wrong to suggest that people cannot or should not use this forum for discussion.

Customer services staff don't always escalate matters to the people that matter. There is a greater chance that people with the power to do anything about it will read it, if it's posted here.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Shame on the OP for having the audacity to point out that someone working in the railway industry may have done something wrong.

That's not allowed on here.

I don't think anyone is saying that and there are a vast number of threads on this forum about staff failing to issue or accept tickets properly, rude ticket inspectors, driver errors etc. etc.

Given the vagueness of the OPs message post-edit, there is an accusation of wrong doing, but without further information it is impossible for anyone to actually go into further detail.

Some are suggesting the OP might be best to contact the railway company if this story is accurate, since it seems to be a serious issue.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Customer services staff don't always escalate matters to the people that matter. There is a greater chance that people with the power to do anything about it will read it, if it's posted here.

I'd go as far as to say "usually don't". Complaints departments all over industry have become "fob the customer off departments", unfortunately.

alexl92

Established Member
Just two little things -
1. I don't know where the OP tried to join the train or where they were going, but given the time of night that's alluded to in one of the replies, I would say that suggesting 'Just walk' is probably a little unfair - both for distance and safety reasons. And some people aren't aware that they can get a taxi instead, or rather don't understand the circumstances under which that can happen.

2. From experience, writing directly to a TOC is like throwing a bucket of water at a fish. It has no impact whatsoever, bringing at best a generic reply, but more usually just silence. When you complain via twitter*, most TOCs do respond because it's such a public forum. I would much rather enter into a civilised email exchange but they would not. Therefore, against my better judgement I go via social media.

*I haven't looked recently but in the past TPE studiously ignored any complaints posted on their facebook page whilst simultaneously thanking those who posted positive feedback profusely.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Will the OP please return and tell us:

1. Did you challenge the staff member re the fact that there was still a train to depart?

2. What happened in the end - were you allowed to catch the train or did you have to walk/take a taxi or whatever?

3. Regardless of the outcome, are you making a complaint to the TOC concerned?

Last edited:

SA_900

It's tricky. Because if reported and confirmed then I would say summary dismissal would probably be fair. But at the same time I wouldn't want this on my conscience.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If from a genuine mistake and a first offence, I would hope not.

Agreed, I'd suggest a verbal warning for the first instance, a formal final written warning for the second, and dismissal should a third instance occur.

I would also suggest that the TOC should refund the taxi fare of the passenger if he took one, if not some kind of gesture of goodwill such as some RTVs.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'm still wondering if we have the complete story here. Noted Mag_seven has asked for the OP to come back to clarify some points.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's tricky. Because if reported and confirmed then I would say summary dismissal would probably be fair. But at the same time I wouldn't want this on my conscience.

Summary dismissal is wildly OTT for such an issue and would only suggest to me that the management had abandoned the 'best practice' usually associated with Employment Law.

J-2739

Established Member
Will the OP please return and tell us:

1. Did you challenge the staff member re the fact that there was still a train to depart?

2. What happened in the end - were you allowed to catch the train or did you have to walk/take a taxi or whatever?

3. Regardless of the outcome, are you making a complaint to the TOC concerned?

He/she wouldn't be able to come back soon due to awaiting email confirmation.

SA_900

Agreed, I'd suggest a verbal warning for the first instance, a formal final written warning for the second, and dismissal should a third instance occur.

I would also suggest that the TOC should refund the taxi fare of the passenger if he took one, if not some kind of gesture of goodwill such as some RTVs.

Yes, this is probably more likely. It does seem to me however to be quite a bit more serious than say shutting up a shop early etc. It's vital public infrastructure and there are all sorts of implications.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Many, many years ago, I was on a train to Runcorn which was running very late and arrived well after midnight. On alighting, we found the station was locked up and all the alighting passengers were trapped inside. A fellow traveller (not me or anybody I know I hasten to add) then kicked down a fence so everybody could escape to the car park.

Similarly, also many years ago, last train to Penzance, about an hour late. Got to Truro 'line closed, the signalman has gone home for the night', station locked, no staff around, got off via the platform end (easy then) and a group of us were left to sort out a taxi to Penzance. Happy days!

gsnedders

Established Member
I once found myself unable to enter Glasgow Queen St from Dundas St or George Sq after the last high-level service had departed but before the last (two or three) low-level services. Had to run around to Hannover St to get in, and it seemed like that door was shut while I was down on the platform. Wonder what there is in way of fire escapes with all the shutters down, or what would happen if someone disembarking had used them otherwise unable to get out!

Status
Not open for further replies.