• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Departure Screens...I want to scream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogal

The DLR platform boards are particularly bad for this, as they tend to flash through every single message one after the other. Catch it on a bad day and it'll happily spend ages telling you there's no lift service at [station], to take the first train and change if you want to travel to [place], and that engineering work is taking place at the weekend. By the time it tells you what/when the next train is, it's already arrived!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy1581

I was at Morpeth yesterday and there was disruption due to animals on the line.

When I arrived it was flicking between Next Trains for about 20s/Disruption for about 20s.
A short time later:

Next Train
intermediate calling points
Train After That One
SERVICES ARE DISRUPTED/DUE TO ANIMALS ON THE/LINE BETWEEN DURHAM/AND DARLINGTON

quarella

THe problem has been exacerbated by additional information halving the number of trains per screen. For example at Swindon and Reading if a service calls at Didcot that wastes a line on their summary screens.

stut

Established Member
On the plus side, at least our departure screens actually display all stops - one of my greatest frustrations with a lot of European railways is where they just assume you know the stopping pattern. Fair enough if it's a suburban railway and you're surrounded by maps, but it's often not the case!

(Japan does this too, with its myriad classification of trains, but there are always pictograms of the stopping patterns around... Still room for confusion when they do the old send-the-train-down-the-subway-tunnel-and-mix-with-metro-services trick, though. Yes, Asakusa Line, I'm looking at you.)

TheNewNo2

What gets me about the whole "repeating it in Welsh/English" thing is that it doesn't seem to be in a sensible order. I think it should do 1E 2E 1W 2W, but instead it seems to do 1E 1W 1E 1W 2E 2W 2E 2W. Or at least that's how it feels. Bloody interminable. Just get a second screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.