• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Trainee driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

met331

to those of you applying for the depot driver role all i will say is good luck. despite what the god of depot driving believes the role is pretty hard slog with unbelievably unsociable hours.
EMT have now proven that the grade is the way to the mainline. The average wait is 3 years. The conditions are ok they will try and impose fueling and shunting every now and then but as of yet havent suceeded in bringing it in. As it stands you drive and pull points after 12 months at Etches you will sign the 08 as well as the usual traction.
They encourage ambition for the mainline in the interview as at least one of the panel will be a driver Manager. You will learn how to couple/ uncouple hst rakes but never will!
The tip if you want mainline is keep your nose clean try your best to not go sick or have an incident and in time you will make it.

Before Beveridge starts i know first hand that you can make the mainline in 3 years as i passed out this week as a mainline driver and go solo next week after 3 years as a depot driver and a considerable number as a guard

to sum up good luck and hope to see you soon

Informe

Thanks for the info Met, much appreciated. I was hoping to go mainline in 2 years if I'm lucky enough to get through but if it's 3 it's 3. Good to know showing mainline ambition in the managers interview is not a bad idea, seems to vary from TOC to TOC so thanks again.

met331

Thanks for the info Met, much appreciated. I was hoping to go mainline in 2 years if I'm lucky enough to get through but if it's 3 it's 3. Good to know showing mainline ambition in the managers interview is not a bad idea, seems to vary from TOC to TOC so thanks again.

It was 3 for me but at the current recruitment it may be shorter they like 2 years as your are no longer post qual and they feel you have a little experience however you return to post qual once on the mainline

notadriver

Established Member
Those shifts sound okay at GA but I know many who do 3 days but 12 hour shifts.

met331

most shifts are night shifts about 8 hours. only 4 booked daylight turns at etches park slightly more at nottingham. Etches is 7 on 4 off whereas nottingham is 7-5off-7-2off like mainline although sundays are part of your week.

Geargrinder

Yeah I guess 7 straight nights counts as unsociable ! I have found with shift work that when you finish your last shift into rest days, and the time of the start of your first shift after rest days, makes a big difference. Eg if you did 7 nights then had 2 rest days and then started back on early shifts that would be really bad.
Currently on HGV's I do permanent "lates". Start times anywhere from 1400 to 1900, Job and finish (or "Job&knock"). You get your run for the day and when you get back to the depot you go home. If everything goes like clockwork you do 8 to 10 hours. If everything goes t*ts up you do 12+hours or sleep in the cab.... No overtime. I get every Sunday/Monday as rest days. Other rota is every Friday/Saturday as Rest days. It is very unsociable.

Informe

You heard anything FSM? Nothing here, not sure when to contact them, maybe friday so i'm off tender hooks over the weekend?

Layaboutlarry

You heard anything FSM? Nothing here, not sure when to contact them, maybe friday so i'm off tender hooks over the weekend?

I rang EMT on Thursday and they told Me that they were expecting the results from OPC (the company that handles the recruitment) either Friday or Monday and would therefore contact applicants within 48 hours of them receiving such results so I'm expecting My fate by Wednesday!

Hope this helps

Informe

Yes mate I rung them Friday. Good luck to you.

I was quite confused by the structured interview tbh. It definately seemed like she was trying to get me to say something that I wasn't saying and the first two examples of a problem to solve weren't acceptable and then the focus was on how long it took to solve the problem which is just weird because clearly it was problem dependant.

I've gone from thinking I did ok to bad, nothing I can do about it now but I'd love some feedback if I don't make it through but I don't think they give it.

Layaboutlarry

Yes mate I rung them Friday. Good luck to you.

I was quite confused by the structured interview tbh. It definately seemed like she was trying to get me to say something that I wasn't saying and the first two examples of a problem to solve weren't acceptable and then the focus was on how long it took to solve the problem which is just weird because clearly it was problem dependant.

I've gone from thinking I did ok to bad, nothing I can do about it now but I'd love some feedback if I don't make it through but I don't think they give it.

I totally understand the feeling as I've been through this once before so it's all or bust for me now.
I remember from before that they gave me feedback in terms of which areas of the structured interview that were failed (eg. Emergency situations/rules and procedures) but that is all, quite vague if you ask me.

And to make it worse it was the same woman who interviewed me before and I think they do the same thing with most interviewees to see how well they can recall situations that they were in and to see how you cope on the spot.

Well either way it's around the corner and we can't go back now.
Fingers X'd

Informe

Sorry to hear that mate but are you sure your info is good as I just rang them and they said they still hadn't had the results back.

Layaboutlarry

Get on the phone to EMT people as they have results in...

Happy to say I've passed and I'm an example that even if you fail the first time that their is still hope on the second and final attempt...!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Informe

Well done to you. They're not answering the phone so far today and as I've not been contacted I don't think it's good news but still got another try.

EDIT: Are we all talking about the same job here? Depot driver for EMT? Anyway I just got off the phone to them, chap says they got the results in literally 15 minutes ago and I was one of the lucky 12 out of 120 to get to the driver manager interview. I am pleased.

Last edited:

Geargrinder

Well done informe. If there are more than 12 position thats pretty good odds for your interview !

Informe

OK so that's the driver manager interview completed. Looks like they're interviewing 30-40 candidates so it's the last two groups who passed the assesment to this stage.

Relatively relaxed affair although I did make one mistake by saying my current position is "boring." Stupid thing to say in an interview "lacks stimulation" or something like that would have been so much better and they both made notes of the "B" word.

Everything else went well so I guess it's down to the competition now and a 2 week wait. Joy.

Layaboutlarry

OK so that's the driver manager interview completed. Looks like they're interviewing 30-40 candidates so it's the last two groups who passed the assesment to this stage.

Everything else went well so I guess it's down to the competition now and a 2 week wait. Joy.

I had my interview today also, I felt it went reasonably well but was not welcoming the news that we'd have to wait two weeks for a result.

Did they ask you which depot you'd prefer?

And from the sounds of things it's predominantly nights and averaging five nights a week.

Not the best news either but at the end of the day beggars can't be choosers!

met331

there are plenty of vacancies at both depots and if you get the choice Eastcroft is more sociable in terms of operations and hours whereas the spotters would prefer Etches as its more traction but the downside is more nights and slightly longer shift length due to Bombardiers demands. The only depot to avoid is Neville Hill as you wouldnt be mainline trained

Geargrinder

Wow informe and layaboutLarry, emt don't hang about giving you interviews within 2 days of the assessment results ! They must be needing too get new depot drivers started asap.

Last edited:

Informe

I gave Derby as my preferred depot but said Notts would be fine. I live about 10 minutes from Etches Park.

Also my inital email for the job gave a course start date of Sept 23rd but Tony James said they wanted to get one going by the end of August.

Layaboutlarry

I gave Derby as my preferred depot but said Notts would be fine. I live about 10 minutes from Etches Park.

Also my inital email for the job gave a course start date of Sept 23rd but Tony James said they wanted to get one going by the end of August.

Yeah, I was told 27th August as start date so that makes sense even if it is a Tuesday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I hate the waiting game, I'm itching to give EMT a phone call...

...really wish I could know the outcome now just to get stuff sorted out!

Fingers X'd

Layaboutlarry

Perfect timing really as I actually rang them today.
I was told that today was their last day of interviews so we will find out within the next seven days and then if successful we will be given a phone number to ring to book our medical.

And also just incase you didn't know because I personally didn't but the salary is £31,450 straight away even whilst training for 16 weeks!

So once again fingers X'd and maybe I'll see you soon.
I was told that today was their last day of interviews so we will find out within the next seven days and then if successful we will be given a phone number to ring to book our medical.

And also just incase you didn't know because I personally didn't but the salary is £31,450 straight away even whilst training for 16 weeks!

Last edited:

Informe

Thanks larry, good news on the starting wage. Bit worrying how many they must have interviewed over that period but at least we're still in it.

All the best and shout if you hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.