• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby Station - another revamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbon 1

I've heard a rumor that Derby is to be revamped again with the loss of platform 5 (bay) and possibly new platforms on the goods line, with dedicated platforms for East Midlands Trains and CrossCountry.

Again, rumors ;)

But on a serious point, has anyone heard anything of this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I can't find anything online from a quick search, but broadly it involves substantial remodelling to segregate the various flows at the south/west end of the station. From memory, west to north (and v.v.) will generally use the existing platforms 1 and 2, south to north (and v.v.) will generally use the existing platform 6 and a new platform behind that, and the middle two (through) platforms will generally be used for reversing or terminating trains. The current restrictive layout across London Road Jn. will be changed to bring the lines from Trent straight into the higher numbered platforms, with much more potential for parallel moves. All planned for 2018.

louis97

Established Member
I've heard a rumor that Derby is to be revamped again with the loss of platform 5 (bay) and possibly new platforms on the goods line, with dedicated platforms for East Midlands Trains and CrossCountry.

Again, rumors ;)

Construction of the new platform should start at the end of this year, this sees the closure of the goods lines and station yard, meaning all freights will go through the platforms and get looped either side (Sunnyhill and Breadsall). Access to/from the Litchurch Lane Bombardier works is via a temporary track layout.

The main part of the work is due to take place over the Summer of 2018, I think Saturday 21st July to Monday 8th October, not 100% certain though. During this time there will be disruption to services on varying scales, including, but not limited to, a temporary platform on the Pilot Line for 1 train per hour to London during some of this time. At the end of this time Derby PSB will close with the new layout re-signalled and controlled from East Midlands Signalling Centre. The rest of the area still controlled by Derby PSB is to be re-controlled.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Presume things like Nottingham to Birmingham trains will be diverted, will Stoke-Derby become Stoke-Nottingham?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Crewe Stoke don't even get that far I believe, turn back before Stenson Jn unless its changed since.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The main part of the work is due to take place over the Summer of 2018, I think Saturday 21st July to Monday 8th October, not 100% certain though. During this time there will be disruption to services on varying scales, including, but not limited to, a temporary platform on the Pilot Line for 1 train per hour to London during some of this time. At the end of this time Derby PSB will close with the new layout re-signalled and controlled from East Midlands Signalling Centre. The rest of the area still controlled by Derby PSB is to be re-controlled.

Lots of interesting information here. Just out of interest where is the pilot line?

MichaelAMW

Again, rumors ;)

Why do you say "again?" The platforms were renewed a little while back, as the concrete canopies were disintegrating, but the track layout is over 40 years old.

Harbon 1

Why do you say "again?" The platforms were renewed a little while back, as the concrete canopies were disintegrating, but the track layout is over 40 years old.

You've answered your question with that statement ;)

Purely as you say, the platforms were only revamped several years ago, and with all the work they did, they're closing one and building more.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
You've answered your question with that statement ;)

Purely as you say, the platforms were only revamped several years ago, and with all the work they did, they're closing one and building more.

The narrow curving section of canopy between P4 and P5 will probably go as I expect this platform will be re-aligned and as mentioned above P5 will disappear. However the rest of the canopies, which were renewed around 2010, look to be in the right place to be left as they are.

The other question is how the new platform will be accessed. The footbridge extension between the current P6 and the Pride Park exit is about half the width of the main part of the footbridge. Is it wide enough for its new role, and if so will a new set of stairs and lift be provided off the bridge or is it accessed from Pride Park (assuming no tracks remain in between)? The main footbridge was replaced in about 2000 and the extension added a couple of years later. Will the barriers on the bridge be relocated to ground level and will this need a bigger building for the Pride Park entrance?

Harbon 1

It will be difficult to move the barrier location on the footbridge, as AIUI they're not best placed at the top or bottom of stairs, which the existing set in the main concourse already is.

Could we see a mirror of the main concourse at the Pride Park end maybe?

I'd expect the footbridge to be widened, it would be extremely busy at the top of the stairs to the new platforms otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It will be difficult to move the barrier location on the footbridge, as AIUI they're not best placed at the top or bottom of stairs, which the existing set in the main concourse already is.

Could we see a mirror of the main concourse at the Pride Park end maybe?

I'd expect the footbridge to be widened, it would be extremely busy at the top of the stairs to the new platforms otherwise.

The main concourse has always seemed cramped ever since they took out the middle flight of stairs to provide a lift, and even more so since the barriers were added. But difficult to see how they could do anything about it without major changes to the newish footbridge.

As I understand it the new stairs from the footbridge extension (if indeed that is how it is accessed) will only be for one platform not several. Being served by southbound trains from Sheffield there won't be huge numbers alighting at the same time and the flow of departing passengers is always more steady. So they might get away with keeping the extension at the same width. They probably had this development in mind when designing the extension, so I suspect a new entrance is possible without making structural changes.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The other question is how the new platform will be accessed. The footbridge extension between the current P6 and the Pride Park exit is about half the width of the main part of the footbridge. Is it wide enough for its new role, and if so will a new set of stairs and lift be provided off the bridge or is it accessed from Pride Park (assuming no tracks remain in between)? The main footbridge was replaced in about 2000 and the extension added a couple of years later. Will the barriers on the bridge be relocated to ground level and will this need a bigger building for the Pride Park entrance?

Even if we can assume that the platform will only have one face (as opposed to being an island platform) surely track would still need to be retained in order to serve the refueling shed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Even if we can assume that the platform will only have one face (as opposed to being an island platform) surely track would still need to be retained in order to serve the refueling shed.

Yes, you're probably right, unless Etches Park is radically remodelled as well (unlikely).

Over the last few weeks I've seen a lot of troughwork and cabinet/REB bases going down between Spondon and Stenson. Looks like some budget for resignalling has been released. The local rag is also quoting NR that the scheme will involve a very protracted semi-blockade.

thenorthern

Established Member
I would think some trains during this time may terminate at Peartree and then buses would take people onto Derby.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I would think some trains during this time may terminate at Peartree and then buses would take people onto Derby.

I think that's highly unlikely. I'm not sure whether anything can even turn back there without going on to Derby to reverse. And the station is more or less derelict.

The only train regularly terminating at Derby from that direction is the Crewe service, considered the least important train at Derby. This will probably be bustituted from Uttoxeter or even Stoke, from where there is a good road into Derby though getting to the station is more difficult. XC can divert via Stenson and Sheet Stores thence the Erewash or into Nottingham, and MML can divert via Erewash too but if both happen at once there would probably be some thinning of serivce. I'd guess connecting buses will railhead at East Midlands Parkway for EMT and Burton and Alfreton for XC.

louis97

Established Member

No chance of that as Peartree is included in the possessions for the work whenever the route from Stenson is not available.

thenorthern

Established Member
I think that's highly unlikely. I'm not sure whether anything can even turn back there without going on to Derby to reverse. And the station is more or less derelict.

The only train regularly terminating at Derby from that direction is the Crewe service, considered the least important train at Derby. This will probably be bustituted from Uttoxeter or even Stoke, from where there is a good road into Derby though getting to the station is more difficult. XC can divert via Stenson and Sheet Stores thence the Erewash or into Nottingham, and MML can divert via Erewash too but if both happen at once there would probably be some thinning of serivce. I'd guess connecting buses will railhead at East Midlands Parkway for EMT and Burton and Alfreton for XC.

No chance of that as Peartree is included in the possessions for the work whenever the route from Stenson is not available.

There is a turn around just outside Peartree from the old Sinfin branch but I am not sure how its set up. Terminating at Uttoxeter does seem the most logical thing as its something that does happen occasionally.

In theory most things could use the Stenson Junction to Sheet Stores Junction as its possible to get to Sheffield that way via Alfreton and its possible to get to Nottingham that way. Only issue is obviously capacity on the line that runs through Castle Donnington.

I know in the 90s there were some trains regularly scheduled to go that way however before it closed who operated the Castle Donnington Line and where did it go to?

Mugby

Established Member

I can't imagine Peartree ever being considered as an option even if it were available!

ag51ruk

There is a turn around just outside Peartree from the old Sinfin branch but I am not sure how its set up. Terminating at Uttoxeter does seem the most logical thing as its something that does happen occasionally.

Trains from Crewe normally terminate at Tutbury when the line into Derby is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.