• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Design the ideal rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Class 175 internal body style for all long & medium distance services, in both diesel & electric versions. Train lengths anything between 4 & 11 coaches, as necessary. Corridor connections at each end. Standard class only in those trains with less than 10 coaches. All seating to have bays with tables, with luggage space between the backs of pairs of seats. (This is not possible when most of the seats are in airline configuration, and is a major reason why many trains have insufficient space for luggage.)

Suburban services - 23 metre version of Class 350 or 172 body style, in emu & dmu versions. Standard class only. Nothing shorter than 3 or 4 coaches.

All to have a few sliding ventilators available for use if/when Aircon fails.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trog

Established Member
Mk1 first class compartment stock, hauled by a new build of Coronation class locos. Comfy travel where the fat sweaty bloke in the next seat does not end up sitting on you, and as a bonus it gets rid of RCF as it goes.

Rick1984

I don't think I've ever seen anyone clever enough to work out you can stow luggage between seatbacks!

222ben

A standard commuter unit four coaches with corridor connections, desiro style motors and 1/3 and 2/3 doors. EDMU so can be used on any commuter
service

pemma

Veteran Member
A standard commuter unit four coaches with corridor connections, desiro style motors and 1/3 and 2/3 doors. EDMU so can be used on any commuter
service

The option of 210 DEMUs for all local Manchester area services was looked at in the early 1980s but dismissed as it was too expensive.

fusionblue

Take a 376, increase to 12 coaches fixed and add connected gangways like the 378, keep the same massively uncomfortable seats, make the doors wider and you have the perfect train for commuting (but not high frequency like the tube) london.

D6975

Established Member
Never going to happen, having underfloor engines maximizes the amount of space for seats

Never going to happen?
It already is happening - fairly soon.
I'll be going up north to sample 68s across the Pennines when they start up.

Domh245

Established Member
Take a 376, increase to 12 coaches fixed and add connected gangways like the 378, keep the same massively uncomfortable seats, make the doors wider and you have the perfect train for commuting (but not high frequency like the tube) london.

Is that not just a 12 car desiro city?

AngusH

I'd be pleased to see new types that were all electrically and mechanically compatible with each other, regardless of type.

So they could be connected and then work together (at the level of the least capable)

Also, redesign the passenger information systems and reservations systems so that they can be upgraded more easily.

Last edited:
Personally in my opinion i think that all rolling stock for journeys of all lengths should.

• Be built to a layout with wide doors at 1/3 and 2/3 positions.

• Be built in formations of 4 car units to allow 4 car or 8 car or 12 car trains.

• Have 1st class.

• Have toilet facilities.

• Have plug sockets.

• Have free WIFI.

dgl

Established Member
I'd be pleased to see new types that were all electrically and mechanically compatible with each other, regardless of type.

So they could be connected and then work together (at the level of the least capable)

Also, redesign the passenger information systems and reservations systems so that they can be upgraded more easily.

Compatibility would be excellent even if it only covered mechanical (I.e. Couplers) and braking.

Harbornite

Established Member
Some interesting proposals here. The top speed for intercity stock should be either 125 or 140mph, with 100mph being the top speed for regional stock. 23 metre coach lengths, 4 sets of doors in total, air conditioning, some table seats and bi-mode capability is what you should have for IC stock. It's all pretty much been said and done.

Ayman Ilham

Why massively uncomfortable seats? Why can't we just add more comfortable ones like on the 380?

class387

Established Member
Suburban: A Desiro City with the same interior as the Z50000, perhaps with more sophisticated moquette, 2+2 seating and tables.

Intercity: Something similar to the ICE-T for under the wires, and loco hauled trains of the same interior for diesel routes.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Suburban: A Desiro City with the same interior as the Z50000, perhaps with more sophisticated moquette, 2+2 seating and tables.

Intercity: Something similar to the ICE-T for under the wires, and loco hauled trains of the same interior for diesel routes.

ICEs are afaik too large for the UK loading guage. For Intercity something based on a 444 (how many lines would really benefit from having tilt abilities?)

class387

Established Member
ICEs are afaik too large for the UK loading guage. For Intercity something based on a 444 (how many lines would really benefit from having tilt abilities?)

That's why I said similar to. Z50000s are too large as well.

Something 444 based would be good though.

DasLunatic

Could using electromagnets as couplers be feasible, perchance? It would allow for all rolling stock to be compatible with all other stock, and if your current is high enough, nigh-on impossible to separate.

Domh245

Established Member
Could using electromagnets as couplers be feasible, perchance? It would allow for all rolling stock to be compatible with all other stock, and if your current is high enough, nigh-on impossible to separate.

That doesn't sound particularly safe. In the event of a power outage (failed engine, wires down, etc) the train would split. The train would then be stopped by the breaking of the brake wires (whilst I think about it, what sort of affect would the electromagnet have on the wires passing through the electrical block) but that isn't a great situation as you'd then have to effectively hump shunt the unit back to the depot.

Dent

Making all rolling stock compatible just requires them to all have the same type of coupling. What is the advantage of standardising on electromagnetic couplings over standardising on any other, already proven, type?

There is the obvious disadvantage that electromagnets need to be constantly powered.

bavvo

Ok, if going for an 'ideal' design, for me point number 1 would be - articulated carriages.
Properly articulated carriages, (with the doors over the bogies like the prototype APT) have several advantages.
Better ride comfort
Less noise from fewer axles.
Safer in the event of a derailment
Easier access for passengers, as the platform edge gap on curved platforms can be greatly reduced.

There is a downside, as splitting a train becomes much more difficult, so only multiple unit working really. Also clearance can be more of a problem, limiting the maximum length of the carriages.

Other, more general points I would add are;
  • Use composite materials where possible to reduce weight.
  • Large windows for better ambiance
  • Floor closer to the average UK platform height
  • Electric traction on each axle, with a diesel generator power for working away from the wires, to improve adhesion and acceleration.
  • Internal doors, seperating the seating from the external doors, like in a Mk3/4 carriage, to keep the noise out and the air temperature constant.3
  • 'Quiet' air con/heating, relying more on convection than a huge noisy fan to pump the air around. So, use underfloor heating, and overhead cooling.

Ayman Ilham

You know what? Just get an ex-TPE 158 (that still has those really comfortable seats) and add a mini-buffet area, perfectly rectangular windows, newer and faster engine, 444 style doors and more aerodynamic cab ends! Sorted!

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I'm going to say

Commuter A quick accelerating, comfortable train that is quick to load and offload... Hmmm, it exists - The 350/450 - Put similar seating in a Desiro City and it's there

Regional Express. Something based on the 158/9 but to modern standards. Will have to see what happens at GA.

Long distance. I'm actually liking the look of the IEP, but it should have sliding plug doors.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member

jayiscupid

Simple, two nice new double decker buses stuck together with a bogie, driving wheels on each end. Strenghened structure ofcouse too. It would fit under the wires although lower platforms are needed for the one double door on each side, it should be very cheap for the capacity it gives. Only the lack of a toilet is a problem (it'll be out of action anyway!).
Class 145 Super-Pacer is suitable for Metro and Rural routes in Northern, Wales, & Great Western franchises.
Like my idea? It'll also be suitable for any tramtrain operations.

You mean something like this?.....

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_670

Attachments

• dbag670.jpg
    dbag670.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 29
  • db670wm.jpg
    db670wm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.