• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Desiro clock problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm going to go with a GPS related glitch, either in the trains themselves or in the actual satellites. Seeing as the trains already have GPS, I'd imagine it'd be easiest to obtain an accurate time from the GPS signal.

The "GPS message" from each satellite contains time information and there has been instances of timing errors as recently as the end of January (http://www.itnews.com.au/news/satellite-failure-caused-global-gps-timing-anomaly-414237).

My GPS unit, however, has been displaying the time perfectly - so it's more likely to be aforementioned theory of a software update problem on the stock itself.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
My GPS unit, however, has been displaying the time perfectly - so it's more likely to be aforementioned theory of a software update problem on the stock itself.

As I said, it was an example of when the satellites themselves have been out.

It more likely to be something to do with the software and synchronisation (as I said in my original reply) with the time code, with the time it displays being when it lost sync.

sd0733

Established Member
The 350 I've currently got shows on the TMS that its the 8th April 2015 at 16:30 and all the internal clocks are showing 02:00 so the issues still ongoing.

causton

Established Member
The 350 I've currently got shows on the TMS that its the 8th April 2015 at 16:30 and all the internal clocks are showing 02:00 so the issues still ongoing.

Interesting, wondered if the TMS was showing the correct time or the same time as the internal clocks, but didn't expect a completely different wrong time and date!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The clock on the 18.23 Waterloo to Basingstoke service tonight. For those not in SWT land it's a 450 class of train.
36ef54960d4e8a3e74619c330dda930f.jpg

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Can train crew manually set the clock or is that something that has to be done by the fitters at the depot?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LM 350/2 last night had 00:00 on the clocks as well.

I like the "coach N of M" modification, perhaps LM should apply that as well, though I suppose there are few platforms now where it is needed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does the PIS on the 159 fleet use the exact same hardware and software as that on the 444s/450s?

The displays at least look almost identical, but for the controlling software I'd be guessing. I'd expect the Desiro equipment is more integrated with the train systems, whereas the DMU fit is likely to be more independent.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

LM 350/2 last night had 00:00 on the clocks as well.

I like the "coach N of M" modification, perhaps LM should apply that as well, though I suppose there are few platforms now where it is needed.

It only came with the recent ASDO modifications - so presumably if LM ever retrofit that, then they'll get the carriage number display system with it.

Last edited:

Can train crew manually set the clock or is that something that has to be done by the fitters at the depot?

You can on the 380, but it doesn't always stay at the correct time. Software update coming soon to solve the issue.

Paul180

Well on my train home tonight a 5 coach 444 the display fas not working at all as we are pulling in to Brookwook it announced that could only get of from the first 10 and when we got to Ash Vale the first 7. I have never been on a 10 coach train to Alton has it ever happened?

TEW

Established Member
Well on my train home tonight a 5 coach 444 the display fas not working at all as we are pulling in to Brookwook it announced that could only get of from the first 10 and when we got to Ash Vale the first 7. I have never been on a 10 coach train to Alton has it ever happened?
Yes, there was a return trip to Alton after the morning peak booked for a 10-444 for a long time. Should recently have gone over to 12-450.

6Gman

Established Member
Class 350

Tuesday

10.08 all day

Which happens to be the "happy time" on a clockface

(Copyright Dave Gorman)

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
This thread interests me. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years now since I was on a SWT 444 (although I've been on a 158/159 much more recently), but I can't say I've ever seen the internal displays showing anything, other than after a station echoing what is being said over the PA system about calling points. Tell a lie - I've also seen them attempt to put their Twitter handle on it, but the displays seemed to have problems displaying a proper @ symbol.

DerekC

Established Member
Buses have their PA software problems too. I was on a crowded 507 (single deck bendybus at the time) a few years ago when the PA apologised for the crowding and announced available seats on the top deck. Much to passenger amusement!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I remember the year when on the South West Trains services to Portsmouth a bus to Stretham was announced. It didn't sound quite like Stretham but that was the only place I could think of.

Thw bus was actually going Waterlooville. After a year or so it finally changed to the correct place. They don't run the bus any more as a rail link do I don't know how long it lasted with the correct location being announced.

fgwrich

Established Member
Just wondering, has these problems only affected the CIS systems on the Desiro Fleets, or as SWTs 158/159s have it fitted - Have any of those been affected too?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just wondering, has these problems only affected the CIS systems on the Desiro Fleets, or as SWTs 158/159s have it fitted - Have any of those been affected too?

I posted a few days ago pointing out it was showing up on 455s as well.

mbreckers

Buses have their PA software problems too. I was on a crowded 507 (single deck bendybus at the time) a few years ago when the PA apologised for the crowding and announced available seats on the top deck. Much to passenger amusement!

How does the buses onboard CIS know that the bus is crowded?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How does the buses onboard CIS know that the bus is crowded?

Might be some sort of weight sensor, it might assume an average weight for a typical passenger and divide the detected weight by that amount to calculate how many passengers are approximately onboard

Paul180

Looking on twitter over the past week it seems to be fleet wide across SWT as it look like their use the same PIS witch is why it's affecting the 350's as well as it look likes their use the same PIS.

Established Member
I'm not sure but I would imagine it comes from the TMS.

On 185s, when you start one up, the TMS boots up with a colourful Windows XP "fur Wurkgruppes" page... somewhat inspires me with confidence. :lol:

infobleep

Veteran Member
If you're talking a London bus, the driver presses a button.
A weight sensor would be great if it linked to the bus stop display boards. It could have a symbol beside the bus. Yes at a busy interchange a lot might get off but if it was busy interchange you might then be able to judge if you'd get a seat or not, based on number salsa wanting the bus around you.

There are times when if the bus is to full and there no room to board it, it's quicker or almost as quick for me to walk, providing I start immediately and don't hang around for the bus to turn up. Not that often it happens but in very central London it would probably be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.