• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DEVON TO GLASGOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would suggest heading over to trainsplit.com - the website will attempt to find the best possible price for your journey.

Note that if you are eligible for a railcard, eg 30 or under, 60 or over, or disabled etc, a railcard would reduce the cost of the trip by 1/3.

paul1609

Established Member
As this is being posted on a railway forum, I imagine the OP would like to take the train. Let's not encourage more internal flights
That should really depend on the rail industry offering a competitive product at a competitive price. On the journey in question for 90% of travellers that means Easyjet, this forum covers all modes of transport despite the name.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Glasgow to Taunton can often be good value on CrossCountry. So I'd advise splitting tickets there. E.g. searching on Wednesday morning leaving Glasgow 09:00 on the through train to Taunton, there's an £84.70 advance single available. But if you go only one stop further to Tiverton Parkway the price more than doubles to £185! An increase of £100.30, for 11 minutes longer on the train, when a single between the two stations costs £7.90!

embers25

Established Member
If using Avanti WC as far as Wolverhampton/Birmingham I tend to split at Warrington, Wolverhampton/Birmingham, Cheltenham and Bristol which can make it quite reasonable and it's only one change at Wolverhampton/Birmingham usually.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Don't discount going via London. I always do to Cornwall nowadays and it can sometimes be reasonably priced.

Viperboy34

X country have a sale on at the moment ,25% off advance fares. Someone said West coast. NHS discounts do 20% off advance fares too.

endecotp

After my recent Edinburgh to Weymouth trip, I would seriously suggest that the cheapest way to do your journey could be to work out the route that it most likely to be delayed, and then count on getting half or all of your money back.

recenttraintimes will show you the delays for particular trains on recent dates. Then use any journey planner to find a theoretically quick journey with several changes. Chances are you’ll miss at least one of the connections and be delayed till the next train, an hour later.

Of course your personal finances will determine whether it’s better to be sure of a low price, or to have a chance of a low or zero price.

You can, of course, combine this with split ticketting.

Status
Not open for further replies.