• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did British Rail ever do ticket wallets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HYPODERMIC

Sorry to dredge up the old ticket wallets topic again (I did a few searches but unfortunately the results were swamped with unrelated stuff) but I'd like to know if British Rail ever produced any of their own ticket wallets like the TOCs now do?

I'm not normally the collecting type, but I'd love to have a few British Rail ticket wallets, for a variety of reasons really - childhood nostalgia, exclusivity, geek pride :lol: etc etc - but I'm not sure if they even exist; are they just something ATOC invented for a bit of advertising space and self-promotion?

If British Rail did make ticket wallets, does anyone know of any pictures of them or indeed perhaps any sellers? I'd be particularly interested in anything clearly identified to British Rail that people like forumgoers here would recognise (ie. mega bonus points for stuff like sector branding!) but not so interested in anything generic (ie. if it just says "railcard" or "season ticket" without any BR identity).

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Yes, I had a BR Young Person's Railcard wallet from 1991 onwards.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have one now. My first ever annual season was presented to me in said wallet 4 years ago, and it is still going strong!

WestCoast

Established Member
I've got a BR Network SouthEast ticket wallet! Very simple, a bit too nice to use though:lol: I've got a tatty Virgin Trains one for that...

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Yes, I've had several. Dark blue, three sections - not notably different from some current generic national rail issue in appearance, more or less.

First class

Established Member
As a collector, I have the following:

Transparant (square) YP railcard BR wallet
Blue (square) Senior Citizen Railcard wallet
Cream 3-part Senior Citizen Railcard wallet
Blue 3-part Young Person Railcard wallet
NSE white 2-part wallet
Grey regional railways 2-part
Blue regional railways 1-part (rectangular)

variety of Rail Freight wallets probably issued to staff

rail-britain

Established Member
I used to see several different types
However, apart from the railcards, the ticket holder types didn't have any branding in them (BR, double arrow logo, etc), these were plain colours such as red, blue or black

INTERCITY had some ticket holders for their larger ticket types, but these were a form of laminated/bonded paper into which the hand written tickets were inserted
Ironically, most passengers kept these in the original envelope, handing you this instead!

First class

Established Member
On my desk just found a black BR wallet with "Intercity announce the arrival of the Electric Scot" with the BR arrows and what looks like a cl86+coaches.

On the back says "Close your eyes and you're almost there. Inter-City Electric Scots".

route:oxford

Established Member
I'm sure I had "Rail Riders" wallets about 3 decades ago.

From memory, one was in a cheque book format to keep the vouchers in. The other was to keep tickets in.

I recall thinking how daft the wallet (credit card size) was when tickets issued locally were small combined out and return cardboard tickets.

EltonRoad

When I worked at Shrewsbury station Leisure First tickets came in, and we had a stock of laminated envelopes about A6 size in which to hand them out. They were an InterCity product. Far as I know we only ever sold one.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

strange6

Established Member
I'm still using one of those! It's very tatty now but I have one more good one ( my last one from a batch of 15 or so ) still to press into service. I like them better than any others because it has a two compartments, top opening design, instead of the standard sideways opening fold out of three compartments.

Whatever you do, don't use your last one, Peter! It could be worth something in a few centuries time!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Does anyone else make them in that two pocket top opening format though?

And it needs to be the same oversize pocket layout as well because I need the "slack" to put a spare hearing aid battery packet in...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, if they don't, then my last NSE one is going to put into use within a few weeks as the one I'm using now is in a similar state to a Barry Hulk...

Laurencew

Somewhere I still have a Voyager ticket wallet, the railcard not the train!

Anyone remember those? Memory a bit hazy, but issued at Stoke on Trent booking off in person only and valid for half price off peak tickets anywhere in the UK. Generated some funny looks and furtive phone calls if used outside the North Midlands/Cheshire area. Long before even the Network Southeast card.

I know this was before the widespread availability of advanced tickets, but don't we need something like that again?

SAPhil

I have somewhere a brown Southern region ticket wallet with about 4 separate sections in it. As far as I recall I had to pay for it!

Phil

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Somewhere I still have a Voyager ticket wallet, the railcard not the train!

Anyone remember those? Memory a bit hazy, but issued at Stoke on Trent booking off in person only and valid for half price off peak tickets anywhere in the UK. Generated some funny looks and furtive phone calls if used outside the North Midlands/Cheshire area. Long before even the Network Southeast card.

I know this was before the widespread availability of advanced tickets, but don't we need something like that again?

Issued only at Stoke on Trent? Doesn't sound that useful <D

island

Veteran Member
TFL is selling plastic wallets for £4.99 or wooden (!) ones for £19.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.