• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did NR forget to weatherproof Reading Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomerWinton

I've been watching the progress of the station build-out over the last few years and have generally been impressed with the place and like the new passenger platform transfer bridge to the west of the old station buildings....

...that was until I had to change trains twice at Reading a couple of weeks ago.

Three words:

1) wet
2) windy
3) cold
:(

I really hope that someone can reassure me and tell me that the platform canopies just haven't yet been completed by Network Rail and that some form of windbreak will be installed at the platform escalators to stop passengers from getting soaked in even the lightest of winds on a rainy day!

The Basingstoke and Newbury terminal platforms are looking good with a sort of bubble canopy.

Apologies if this seems a rant or is covered elsewhere, but generally I think it does look good and seems to reduce crowding versus the old station layout.

SW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
As far as I'm concerned, apart from the old platform 4, Reading station has always been windy, wet and cold. Even when it was sunny.

stut

Established Member
Reading is a tropical paradise compared to the perma-cyclone that is Ely station.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've only been to Ely once, for a very short connection in July 1999, but I'll take your word for it!

Pete2210

They did the same when they rebuilt Hillingdon Station in 1991, very nice with lots of glass but with the prevailing winds coming from the SW you get drowned going up the stairs from the WB platform to the booking hall in any kind of rain!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I really hope that someone can reassure me and tell me that the platform canopies just haven't yet been completed by Network Rail and that some form of windbreak will be installed at the platform escalators to stop passengers from getting soaked in even the lightest of winds on a rainy day!

No reassurance available I'm afraid. As far as I can see it is finished, apart from slight changes to complete the platform edge at the country end of P8.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm just looking forward to the skating rink that the bridge will become should we ever have snow and wind at the same time. Good thing that never happens.

A fancy trainshed type thing would have been great (like the Curzon St designs), but I'm not aware that any such thing was ever considered.

Still, better than Swindon (always freezing IME), and there are plenty of waiting rooms equipped with windows *and* doors.

Chris125

Established Member
IIRC screens alongside the escalators were shown in renders but have not been installed, possibly as a result of fire regulations? I believe the transfer deck itself is designed to be naturally ventilated.

Chris

21C101

Established Member
IIRC screens alongside the escalators were shown in renders but have not been installed, possibly as a result of fire regulations? I believe the transfer deck itself is designed to be naturally ventilated.

Chris

Maybe they are going in later as part of "fitting out". The glass screens at Blackfriars were one of the last things they did. Still quite fresh in winter when there is an east wind though, but now a very popular spot for pax to take photos of winter sunrises which are quite spectacular looking east from Platform 1.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Maybe they are going in later as part of "fitting out".

Have you been there lately? As I suggested in an earlier post, it has been long declared finished. Most days there is no work going on in the actual station, hasn't been for weeks if not months; except that there's still a shop unit being fitted out for yet another SSP franchise on P8/9.

There's no signs of any bracketing or anything like on the stair/escalator structures, or on the adjacent steel girders that would carry additional screens.

w1bbl3

The screens where not shown in the planning application drawings so probably omitted at some point after the initial publicity renders. They looked quite an expensive design item so I would not be surprised if they where value engineered out to achieve budgetary approval.

21C101

Established Member
The screens where not shown in the planning application drawings so probably omitted at some point after the initial publicity renders. They looked quite an expensive design item so I would not be surprised if they where value engineered out to achieve budgetary approval.

It will be much more expensive to retro fit them.

sarahj

Established Member
I think the new bridge at East Croydon is well ahead on the Not keeping out the wind and rain score. One side is open to the elements, thus whenever its a bit windy or raining, you just get very wet. Added to, long steps, no all station platform displays at the bottom of the steps (just that platform only), so the only way to know which platform your train is on, is to go to the top of the stairs. TBH, the subway, while cramped, was miles better. Should have just been opened out TBH.

w1bbl3

It will be much more expensive to retro fit them.

I can't see them being retro fitted, the connections do not appear to be present for any later fit.

In related matters are the transfer deck windows self cleaning? as I can't see any cleaning basket or mansafe system present along the roof edge for cleaning from above.

Platform level cleaning obviously not being possible once electrification is complete without a blockade.

Hophead

Established Member
Added to, long steps, no all station platform displays at the bottom of the steps (just that platform only), so the only way to know which platform your train is on, is to go to the top of the stairs. TBH, the subway, while cramped, was miles better. Should have just been opened out TBH.

Think that there are summary displays now, attached to the shelters near the foot of the stairs. Not before time, of course - you'd have thought that effective interchange information would be deemed a necessary part of the fixtures & fittings at somewhere like East Croydon.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Think that there are summary displays now, attached to the shelters near the foot of the stairs. Not before time, of course - you'd have thought that effective interchange information would be deemed a necessary part of the fixtures & fittings at somewhere like East Croydon.
Why would they want that? It would only help passengers and surely that is something Southern wouldn't be so keen on, judging by their communication response during disruption vers South West Trains.

Aictos

Established Member
I think the new bridge at East Croydon is well ahead on the Not keeping out the wind and rain score. One side is open to the elements, thus whenever its a bit windy or raining, you just get very wet. Added to, long steps, no all station platform displays at the bottom of the steps (just that platform only), so the only way to know which platform your train is on, is to go to the top of the stairs. TBH, the subway, while cramped, was miles better. Should have just been opened out TBH.

East Croydon has a subway? Never knew that, thought it only had these two bridges....

Hophead

Established Member

A cursory glance at platforms 3/4 as I passed through this evening suggests that I may have been mistaken. So up on to the bridge and back down again for interchange info it is.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
One evening got off a train at the newish platform seven at Cambridge. The only way to get out of the rain was by walking on the wrong side of the yellow line on platform 8!

sarahj

Established Member
A cursory glance at platforms 3/4 as I passed through this evening suggests that I may have been mistaken. So up on to the bridge and back down again for interchange info it is.

I spotted a display in the shelter at the bottom of the stairs on platform 1/2 today. Trouble is, its a 'next train to' one, rather than a departure board one. Doh!

Design rendering, showing the glass screens.

5533770345_7464ae6573_z.jpg

Finished article

07033_N201_medium_ART_with-credit.jpg

reading-train-station-england_75438_990x742.jpg

Last edited:

Stew998

I've been watching the progress of the station build-out over the last few years and have generally been impressed with the place and like the new passenger platform transfer bridge to the west of the old station buildings....

...that was until I had to change trains twice at Reading a couple of weeks ago.

Three words:

1) wet
2) windy
3) cold
:(

The Basingstoke and Newbury terminal platforms are looking good with a sort of bubble canopy.

Apologies if this seems a rant or is covered elsewhere, but generally I think it does look good and seems to reduce crowding versus the old station layout.

SW

Seems to be the new design brief for stations - see East Croydon's new footbridge and the new terminus at London Bridge looks likely to be a tour de force of limited weather protection with its upside down roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.