• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Didn't meet required standard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Dinenage

I received an E-mail with that message from Northern Rail today. Will I be advised by OPC of my grades, so I actually know if I passed or failed the Psychometrics? I rang and emailed for feedback but nothing as yet..however,I'm aware nothing moves quickly regarding Rail employment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrisdmadd

I received an E-mail with that message from Northern Rail today. Will I be advised by OPC of my grades, so I actually know if I passed or failed the Psychometrics? I rang and emailed for feedback but nothing as yet..however,I'm aware nothing moves quickly regarding Rail employment.

You should contact the OPC about it.

Silv1983

Hi. You should have been told on the day how you did? Strange that they didn't say. You must have got a borderline in one of the tests, which Northern don't accept. Was it Northern you rang for feedback or both? Just keep on to them - they report is usually filed.

Fred Dinenage

I E-mailed Northern and both E-mailed and rang the OPC today. Obviously curious about my grading but also whether or not I actually failed - if it's a borderline pass I doubt it'd be worth pursuing other driving positions with those marks, I know requirements are high for rail jobs.

Thanks for your replies, i'll try them again tomorrow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Working alone was where I failed the SI...given I've had the one job since school and work in a 2-man team I struggled for a decent example. Any advice?

Daniel84

I E-mailed Northern and both E-mailed and rang the OPC today. Obviously curious about my grading but also whether or not I actually failed - if it's a borderline pass I doubt it'd be worth pursuing other driving positions with those marks, I know requirements are high for rail jobs.

Working alone was where I failed the SI...given I've had the one job since school and work in a 2-man team I struggled for a decent example. Any advice?

Hi mate, who did you get your feedback on the interview from? Was it Northern or the OPC? I'm still waiting, but thinking if I don't hear this morning, I may contact one of them. Not knowing over the weekend will be too much, haha.

Are there any hobbies you have which involve being alone? fishing, walking etc?

Fred Dinenage

I rang the Opc again this morning to get the feedback. I mentioned working alone delivering road signs n barriers in my job in the gas industry,correcting defaults from local councils n dropping off tools n equipment for team leaders like myself. Also fell walking,specifically allendale challenge by myself. No good,evidently. Maybe it's length of time you've worked alone? Single-handedly saving a sinking ship? Frustrating,but a fail is a fail.

Give them a ring,it's being proactive :P

Daniel84

I rang the Opc again this morning to get the feedback. I mentioned working alone delivering road signs n barriers in my job in the gas industry,correcting defaults from local councils n dropping off tools n equipment for team leaders like myself. Also fell walking,specifically allendale challenge by myself. No good,evidently. Maybe it's length of time you've worked alone? Single-handedly saving a sinking ship? Frustrating,but a fail is a fail.

Give them a ring,it's being proactive :P

Blimey, it's not as if there isn't enough there. I'm not sure I'm so keen on getting my results now...

I do know that if I don't get through then unless I have a complete career change then I'd struggle to get through the interview if I ever got the chance again, so there would be little point in me applying again.

Fred Dinenage

You never know,I don't know if it's where they're after particular phrases in your examples,evidence of required behaviours or just plain explaining matters clearly.

Hope you're clued-up soon

Beveridges

Established Member
Working alone for long periods: I used my computer programming degree in my SI back in 2008: working alone for 8 hours per day, nearly every day, working in front of a computer with lines of code, completely on my own. I explained that some days this was extended to 14 hours. Yet this was only good enough for a borderline pass!!!

In my view this should have been a super outstanding pass.

Northern are OK with up to two borderlines out of the six SI criterion (the criteria should be well known to anyone who is interested in passing the physcho tests and it has been posted on forum before and is available on the Internet). Three or more borderlines and its a case of "did not meet our standards".

Fortunately I only had one SI borderline (working alone) so my results were/are OK overall to get in any Driving role with Northern.

Last edited:

Fred Dinenage

Thank for that Beveridges,it's a help...hopefully I'll be in a better position next time around with better examples

richie26188

Awaiting a response now to my recent application for the Northern Liverpool post, passed the initial test they send out. Currently in sifting

If for example they dont opt for you during the sifting stage is that classed as a fail and 1 of your 2 chances gone? Sorry new to the application process so just trying to get a better understanding

Established Member
Working alone for long periods: I used my computer programming degree in my SI back in 2008: working alone for 8 hours per day, nearly every day, working in front of a computer with lines of code, completely on my own. I explained that some days this was extended to 14 hours. Yet this was only good enough for a borderline pass!!!

Perhaps it was something to do with the task i.e. sitting at a computer. For example, if you fell asleep or stopped concentrating fully, the worst you could do is fall off your chair. Compare this with say working alone on a building site, where you could quite possibly be seriously injured, or seriously injure someone else.

evoluzione

Thank for that Beveridges,it's a help...hopefully I'll be in a better position next time around with better examples

Briefly, a fair bit of detail missing but you'll get the gist.

My previous employer did a lot of work in ther Wind Power sector.

This would see me away from home and working alone for 2-3 days at a time surveying very remote locations, usually no mobile signal just an OS map for company.

After leaving the hotel in the morning I could still have a 1-2 hour drive to reach site, then most days I would not see a sole all day until I returned to the hotel.

Review work at hotel, plan next day, eat dinner, and repeat until the job was finished, then a big drive back home.

Silv1983

In my view this should have been a super outstanding pass.

I think you miss the point. It's more working alone in certain conditions - perhaps safety critical in less than comfortable circumstances, with ramifications if you fail or lose focus. As already mentioned - the worse that could have happened to you is nodding off and spilling your skinny latte.
By your reasoning reading a book would be a good example (it's not for prospective candidates reading this!).

TDK

Established Member

Isn't the question "Can you describe a time where you have worked or spent a lot of time on your own"?

Beveridges

Established Member
I think you miss the point. It's more working alone in certain conditions - perhaps safety critical in less than comfortable circumstances, with ramifications if you fail or lose focus. As already mentioned - the worse that could have happened to you is nodding off and spilling your skinny latte.
By your reasoning reading a book would be a good example (it's not for prospective candidates reading this!).

Then the question should have asked about working alone in safety critical circumstances then!

I answered the question that it was asking: Working alone and for long periods. My example hits the the nail on the head for those two areas. It was asking nothing else.

I couldn't care less anyway! My test pass met all the standards so I'm not bothered if it "only just did it" or if it was the best results on record!

Last edited:

Fred Dinenage

Isn't the question "Can you describe a time where you have worked or spent a lot of time on your own"?

I don't remember! My only prior interview was for my present job,and involved no testing of any form. I was nervous for these tests,and found my hand shaky doing the dots..I settled down but still felt pressurised. I certainly hadn't printed reams off to practice,once on the PC to see what it entailed. Read that it was on paper for real,and thought " what's the point?"

Granted,there are aids out here to help. Not everyone takes advantage,I gave it an honest try and came up short. I get the feeling some on here are quite disdainful of potential drivers. Not everyone is perhaps as ignorant of safety criteria or the importance of adherence to codes of practice / rules and regs as you might feel.

Anyway,one chance left..I'm hoping to be better next time :D

Status
Not open for further replies.