• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diesel driving experiences, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMcL7

I'm not sure which is the best forum section to ask this question but this seems the most suitable one.

I've noticed a few sites offering diesel driving experiences and was wondering if anyone had actually tried one or could recommend one? I would love to have a shot of something like a 37 or 47 but it's obviously rather pricey and I don't know if the reality is as good as I'd hope it would be. There's lots coming up on searches although not so much in terms of customer feedback and reviews, I'm up in the Highlands and would prefer something in Scotland although realistically it looks like I'd need to travel a fair bit.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
I'm sure the Severn Valley Railway have run something where you could drive a 47 for a fiver in the past. Hopefully someone can confirm this and add information as to whether they still do it or not.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure the Severn Valley Railway have run something where you could drive a 47 for a fiver in the past. Hopefully someone can confirm this and add information as to whether they still do it or not.
I don't think they have done that. They certainly don't now.

class387

Established Member
Epping Ongar Railway let you drive an Class 03 shunter for £5 on their Diesel Galas and anyone can have a go - even kids!

DelW

Established Member
The July issue of Heritage Railway has an article describing eight driver experiences at £20 or under, mostly diesel locos or DMUs, including some 'driver for a fiver' ones.

At the other end of the scale (and a long way from Scotland), D&EPG on the West Somerset offer a full day diesel experience including driving a class 33 hauling goods wagons at £295.

aylesbury

Chinnor and Risboro challenging line and after mid August you go into Risboro,friendly people and good value for money. I have done it twice and became volunteer also scenery is lovely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I did it (in the Class 101 set) at Wirksworth about 8 years ago and it was really good but they have somewhat whacked the price up now.

Funny thing - sitting behind the driver's shoulder many times with the blinds up had pretty much taught me it...it was the vacuum brake that was the most difficult thing to handle.

JohnMcL7

The July issue of Heritage Railway has an article describing eight driver experiences at £20 or under, mostly diesel locos or DMUs, including some 'driver for a fiver' ones.

At the other end of the scale (and a long way from Scotland), D&EPG on the West Somerset offer a full day diesel experience including driving a class 33 hauling goods wagons at £295.

The latter sort of experience is more the one I have in mind as it looks like it's going to be a fair amount of travelling to get to any of them and it would be good to have a decent amount of time with the locomotive.

colchesterken

Chapel and wakes colne-The EARM have a drive a class 04 for a fiver only get about 10 mins but great fun having done it a couple of times it has put me off paying £200 to drive something bigger eg mid Norfolk

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The latter sort of experience is more the one I have in mind as it looks like it's going to be a fair amount of travelling to get to any of them and it would be good to have a decent amount of time with the locomotive.
I must admit that a day (I assume shared with one or two others?) driving a 33 on the WSR with freight wagons sounds like a very pleasant day to spend for my fiftieth in five years time...
Also you can be fairly sure that it will definitely be a 33 as they’ve got two of the wee beasties up there... (because it’s in Somerset then it’s “up there” from my point of view)

Anyway, I asked Mrs C how much she thought it would cost for the day and she guessed £250, so I reckon that I’ve only got to find £45ish because she’s obviously expecting it to cost that much... ;)

A few years back my stepbrother and I bought my father (Oerlikon of this parish) a morning driving a tram on the Seaton Tramway.
It wasn’t anywhere near as much as the WSR experience (obviously I won’t say how much though, in case he writes us out of the will). But, what an excellent morning it was!
We got to sit behind him in the single deck tram while he wrestled with the controls etc, and we were given brunch and a guided tour of the tram sheds.
I tell you what. Long after you’ve forgotten about the price (it was very reasonable), you still have the wonderful memories.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR offers three different Diesel driving experiences - they also have a Deltic based one on offer this August!
The GCR website has all the details.

mushroomchow

Likewise, Rocks By Rail (formerly Rutland Railway Museum) let you drive a Sentinel (and even do shunting if that interests you) for £5 on days when they're open with no steam service.

It's usually quiet there too, so you'll more than likely get straight on.

38Cto15E

GCR Deltic driver experience is £395 for a 16 mile return journey with coaches, presumably 25mph max.

HOOVER29

I just celebrated my 50th driving 50035 Ark Royal at the SVR.
Day cost £350.
There are up to 8 people in the driving group. I drove from Bridgenorth to Arley or around 30 mins. Lots of speed restrictions ie slowing down & accelerating. Had 6 coaches on. Some may cough at the price but I certainly enjoyed myself. Quite happily pay £350 to do it again too.

HOOVER29

Day cost £350.
There are up to 8 people in the driving group. I drove from Bridgenorth to Arley or around 30 mins. Lots of speed restrictions ie slowing down & accelerating. Had 6 coaches on. Some may cough at the price but I certainly enjoyed myself. Quite happily pay £350 to do it again too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47841/
Photos of experience on my Flickr

JohnMcL7

Thanks for the replies which I'm working through and trying to produce a shortlist of what I think are the best to go for.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Day cost £350.
Out of curiosity what did you do during the time you weren’t driving?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The WSR experience is actually a good day out - it's effectively a pick up trip goods, lot's of shunting in Williton, Washford and Minehead yards. I think it's 2 round trips. One way as driver, one as 2nd man and the other 20 miles in the guards vans doing guards duties. Think you also get to go up to one of the signal boxes if time allows.

HOOVER29

Out of curiosity what did you do during the time you weren’t driving?

Was either in the cab or on the cushions enjoying the ride.
Then there’s the engine room inspection & the depot walk about.
Before you know it the days done & your receiving your certificate

cridhe teine

Diesel experience on Severn Valley is excellent, we had an outstanding day. Not the cheapest available but worth it as the line goes through both urban and glorious countryside.

We (Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group) are running our first ever Driver experience day this Saturday (all booked up unfortunately). It will allow the participants to drive both of our "in service" diesel shunting locos - a Barclay 0-4-0 built in 1941 and a Sentinel Rolls Royce 4wDM built in 1959. They'll get to drive several times over our lines including with our brake van coupled up.

As its our first ever event of this kind we priced it at £60 (probably far too cheap) to encourage plenty of interest. Hopefully the day goes well and we get good feedback. Hopefully we'll be running more of these days next year - prices may change though!

Status
Not open for further replies.