• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diesel shunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Are there any heritage railways that provide passenger services hauled by diesel shunting loco's? I mean regularly, not vice failed steam loco's?

Elaborating on the above, are there any railways that have diesel shunter events?

Thanks...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The Dartmoor Railway use an 08 on the Dartmoor Pony service from Okehampton to Meldon during the summer operating season, especially so when the class 205 DEMU isn't available.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 57

Iskra

Established Member
The Middleton Railway and Tanfield are two that I associate with diesel shunters over the years. Perhaps it's only their early morning services though nowadays as steam is increasingly important for most ordinary punters.

The KWVR do sometimes use a prototype shunter too. They've also done Ingrow-Keighley shuttles on gala days using 08's before.

vlad

This probably doesn't answer your question but the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway had several services using an 08 for their diesel loco event in March.

The Lad

The NYMR had two brake vans Top and tailed with two 08's for specials last bank holiday weekend.

tjlrailblue

Peak Rail and The Heritage Shunters Trust have some events where a large variety of shunters operate but not running on the full line

On Moderation
Are there any heritage railways that provide passenger services hauled by diesel shunting loco's? I mean regularly, not vice failed steam loco's?

Elaborating on the above, are there any railways that have diesel shunter events?

Thanks...
The Cholsey & Wallingford Railway regularly uses diesel shunters for its services - they have three 08s as part of their fleet. Connects at Cholsey with GWR services, rather handily.
http://www.cholsey-wallingford-railway.com/

ge-gn

Thanks for this information people. Diesel galas I've been to in the past have been fixated on the big locos with people getting haulage. But once that double headed 45+20 with load 6 pulls out there is often precious little going on for the price of the platform ticket rather disappointingly. Be nice to see some demonstration shunting going on in between 'mainline' services, and maybe cab rides or brake van rides.

The Lincs wold line AFAIK only has a 03 and a 08 so that seams pretty certain on paper, unless you get bowled by a kettle

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I enjoyed a bit of Gronk haulage this morning on the SVR...
I’ve enjoyed that early shunter run a few times over the years.
It’s like an aperitif to the main course later...

trash80

Established Member
I’ve enjoyed that early shunter run a few times over the years.
It’s like an aperitif to the main course later...

Yeah i've done it a few times, have they ever done a run up the whole line? That would be fascinating... if a bit lengthy

Steptoe

Rather short notice for the OP but the Mid-Norfolk Railway (mnr.org.uk) are holding a 'Museums at night' event at Dereham station tomorrow (18th May) at which it will be possible to be a 'driver for a fiver' within station limits on a diesel shunter.

pdeaves

Established Member
The Derwent Valley line (near York) seemed only to have diesel shunters when I visited. If they had steam it made no impression on me as I can't remember any. The line is not suitable for larger diesels.

B&W

Spa Valley usually have their class 10 on one train and rare rack at Diesel Galas, also the Drewry is normally on driver for a fiver duties. See event publicity for details.

lordbusiness

Rather short notice for the OP but the Mid-Norfolk Railway (mnr.org.uk) are holding a 'Museums at night' event at Dereham station tomorrow (18th May) at which it will be possible to be a 'driver for a fiver' within station limits on a diesel shunter.

Yes indeed and damn good fun it was too!

Train wasp

Thanks for this information people. Diesel galas I've been to in the past have been fixated on the big locos with people getting haulage. But once that double headed 45+20 with load 6 pulls out there is often precious little going on for the price of the platform ticket rather disappointingly. Be nice to see some demonstration shunting going on in between 'mainline' services, and maybe cab rides or brake van rides.

From memory Mid Hants Railway diesel galas run a class 08 and class 03 brake van rides. This years gala 1st to 3rd June lists 03197 and 08377. Maybe worth keeping an eye on their web site for a time table.

ajs

Remembering this thread from earlier in the year.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway are having a diesel weekend Friday 28 September to Sunday 30 September 2018 and will feature 3 Class 03 (1 resident and 2 visitors).

Flying Phil

Established Member
For this weekend's Diesel Gala on the GCR, diesel shunter No 08907 is advertised as running on the Friday. The timetable is on - line on the GCR website.

alexl92

Established Member
The Derwent Valley line (near York) seemed only to have diesel shunters when I visited. If they had steam it made no impression on me as I can't remember any. The line is not suitable for larger diesels.

They have had steam in the past but I think it's all diesel shunters/industrials at the moment.

The Middleton Railway and Tanfield are two that I associate with diesel shunters over the years. Perhaps it's only their early morning services though nowadays as steam is increasingly important for most ordinary punters.

The KWVR do sometimes use a prototype shunter too. They've also done Ingrow-Keighley shuttles on gala days using 08's before.

The Middleton Railway operate a diesel service every Saturday between 11am and 3-4pm depending on season. All their diesels are small shunter/industrial types and the train is made up of 2 of their three 4-wheeled coaches, which are converted from Southern railway Parcel vans. Not the comfiest ride but an authentic experience for an ex-colliery line. They also have a few diesels on display in the Engine House, which is free to look around.

Spagnoletti

We will be offering 08-hauled shunter trips at Llangollen during the diesel weekend 29-30th September.

trebor79

Established Member
Class 04 and 08 top and tail brake van rides at Pickering Sat/Sun 4/5 May.
Need to careful dragging an 04 (or 03 for that matter). Easy to damage the gearbox, even if you think you've locked it in neutral.

crosscity

Both times I've been to the Chasewater Railway in Staffordshire it's been the same gronk hauling some Derby suburban dmu trailers.

Spartacus

Established Member
The KWVR’s Vulcan is regularly out, a prototype EE 0-6-0 with a 500hp engine that was designed for trip work as much as shunting, capable of 35mph. In the event it was no good for either.

Status
Not open for further replies.