• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different route to avoid bus replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

janecr

I bought an off peak return and anytime single from Portsmouth to Fratton back in February before engineering works were announced on the Portsmouth - Newport route. I was going to go via Reading instead but have just picked up my tickets and seen that they say via Salisbury only. Am I allowed to get the different route to avoid the engineering works or do I need to cancel them and buy new ones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
When are you travelling? Easement 700608 says:
http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/easement_text.pdf said:
During engineering works on Sundays 08, 15, 22 May and 04 June 2016, affecting the line between Romsey & Warminster, journeys on the route between Portsmouth and South Wales using fare routes 00618 VIA SALISBURY and 00837 VIA WESTBURY & SALISBURY will be valid for journeys via Reading. This easement applies in both directions.
which looks like it might be relevant to your journey and permits travel via Reading on a VIA SALISBURY fare.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I bought an off peak return and anytime single from Portsmouth to Fratton back in February before engineering works were announced on the Portsmouth - Newport route. I was going to go via Reading instead but have just picked up my tickets and seen that they say via Salisbury only. Am I allowed to get the different route to avoid the engineering works or do I need to cancel them and buy new ones?
I'm not sure Portsmouth to Fratton is allowed via Reading or Salisbury. However, I'm sure you meant a slightly longer journey :D

gray1404

Established Member
As your going to Hereford and your journey involves travelling via South Wales then you should be able to use the above easement.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
As your going to Hereford and your journey involves travelling via South Wales then you should be able to use the above easement.
Apart from the fact that the only date left that the easement applies, 4th June, isn't a Sunday! Amazingly the easement has actually been coded like this in the electronic routeing guide and thus booking engines won't apply it. Very poor attention to detail on the part of whoever adds easements to the routeing guide.

I think it's pretty clear it meant to say 5th June, and assuming that is the OP's date of travel, the VIA SALISBURY tickets will no doubt be accepted via Reading.

gray1404

Established Member
Apart from the fact that the only date left that the easement applies, 4th June, isn't a Sunday! Amazingly the easement has actually been coded like this in the electronic routeing guide and thus booking engines won't apply it. Very poor attention to detail on the part of whoever adds easements to the routeing guide.

I think it's pretty clear it meant to say 5th June, and assuming that is the OP's date of travel, the VIA SALISBURY tickets will no doubt be accepted via Reading.

I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.