• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Digital Network Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbouffant

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

Wanted to ask about forumites experiences buying digital railcards. Bought one this afternoon. Never got the download code to add it to the app on my phone. Go to the website and it shows "Ordered" but clicking Manage Digital Devices just shows an error code '2c72b1a7' which is nice.

Tried ringing them and they don't answer the phone. 15 minutes of upbeat lift music is enough for anyone I would say.

Is this typical or has something gone badly wrong with my order?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonteacher

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

Wanted to ask about forumites experiences buying digital railcards. Bought one this afternoon. Never got the download code to add it to the app on my phone. Go to the website and it shows "Ordered" but clicking Manage Digital Devices just shows an error code '2c72b1a7' which is nice.

Tried ringing them and they don't answer the phone. 15 minutes of upbeat lift music is enough for anyone I would say.

Is this typical or has something gone badly wrong with my order?

Thanks!
From my experience they are very good at solving issues on the phone. I would give them a call again! They sorted out my issue quickly!

Paul Jones 88

I had one last year, never again, it was fine until my phone needed a factory settings reset and then I had a terrible job trying to reinstate the Network Railcard, this year I bought a paper one from a ticket office.

RPI

Established Member
I have to say, I seem to spend half my life at work at the moment explaining to people how to log into their account, get a download code and putting it into the app, but have never seen the issue that you've had?

mrbouffant

Back in the site now. Same issue, but the error code has changed. Is it just a random number generator? Just rung the helpline again - more lift music and no indication if they are actually open and taking calls or not...

RPI

Established Member
Back in the site now. Same issue, but the error code has changed. Is it just a random number generator? Just rung the helpline again - more lift music and no indication if they are actually open and taking calls or not...
Have you tried emailing them?

londonteacher

They do pick up. They are also very good at responding on Twitter too!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unless the station doesn't have a ticket office.

True, but you are getting very niche with "passengers needing to make an unexpected Railcard discounted journey within the next week or so who don't have a Railcard and don't have a staffed local station and live in the South East".

The number is probably very similar in its roundness to "the number of people who drive an EV and don't use a smartphone".

bspahh

Established Member
True, but you are getting very niche with "passengers needing to make an unexpected Railcard discounted journey within the next week or so who don't have a Railcard and don't have a staffed local station and live in the South East".
Its a bit less niche if you add in "a bit disorganised", "busy", and "wanting to use some Tesco clubcard vouchers, so you have to order online, when there isn't time to wait for a paper card to be posted"

sammyg901

I couldn't get it to work when I tried to buy one, got one from the Trainline app instead.

I don't use it all that often so I prefer it being in my phone which I carry all the time rather than something I need to specifically remember to find and carry with me!

Iggy12a

Its a bit less niche if you add in "a bit disorganised", "busy", and "wanting to use some Tesco clubcard vouchers, so you have to order online, when there isn't time to wait for a paper card to be posted"
I don't think you can use Clubcard vouchers any more to buy a Network Railcard

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You can't beat a traditional physical railcard.

Far better than this ephemeral 21st century, digital hocus-pocus.

dmncf

The number is probably very similar in its roundness to "the number of people who drive an EV and don't use a smartphone".
I am in that niche, mainly because a 3-year Family & Friends Railcard cannot be purchased at a station. I would have bought a physical one via the website but I didn't have enough time to receive it via the post.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am in that niche, mainly because a 3-year Family & Friends Railcard cannot be purchased at a station. I would have bought a physical one via the website but I didn't have enough time to receive it via the post.

I would definitely take the small financial hit and buy a one year one at the station. Digital Railcards are implemented terribly. If they were implemented properly, e.g. using an e-ticket like barcode based system I would happily have one.

Tomp94

I've got a 26-30 card. Only available on the app. Really wish they'd have the physical cards like for the 16-25 railcard. I don't know why they don't make them physically available.

Had a blonde moment the other week when I was on a southern service out of Brighton heading along the East Coastway and unusually the on board supervisor asked to see my railcard.
So, being used to having a physical one for the last several years, I went to my wallet to get out my railcard. But of course it wasn't there. I can't find it, I said to the OBS. That's fine, said OBS, have another look, I'll wait. So I looked again, took every card out of my wallet thinking it'd got stuck after non use for the best part of 18 months.
Thankfully, just as I was about to completely lose my mind, I remembered that I purchased a 26-30 digital railcard and that it was on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.