• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

disc headcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjlrailblue

just wondered when did disc headcodes go out of use?

I've just seen a few pictures of class 20s and 40s running in the 1980s with disc headcodes in various arrangements, assume they were just arranged in any way the driver wanted but had no actual meaning at this time?

Cheers

Tim

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Thats correct, the use of the discs to indicate the type of train had passed into history many years previously!

tjlrailblue

ok cheers

they were nice ornamental features then giving the loco a kind of face in some layouts

I was only born in the 80s so missed out on their real use

Tim

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Discs and lamps were mentioned in the 1972 General Appendix, but only for use where character headcodes could not be displayed on a loco or multiple unit.

driver9000

Established Member
I would expect they fell out of use in January 1976 when headcode displays were abolished and wound to 0O00. After that they tended to be left with the bottom left and right discs open as a sort of marker light. I suppose some older hands may have kept the correct display going after the end like the blinds kept getting changed on some locos. By the 1980s both were meaningless in terms of train identification.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I would expect they fell out of use in January 1976 when headcode displays were abolished and wound to 0O00. After that they tended to be left with the bottom left and right discs open as a sort of marker light. I suppose some older hands may have kept the correct display going after the end like the blinds kept getting changed on some locos. By the 1980s both were meaningless in terms of train identification.

Other than the 2-digit route indicators on the Southern region, which lasted even into privatisation. I remember a poster at New Malden down platform in around 2002 informing passengers which numbers to look out for for services towards Berrylands/Norbiton. The numbers themselves were much easier to spot on the handful of services still operated by 423s than they were on the 455s.

Taunton

Established Member
The discs just replicated the position oil lamps used on steam locomotives in comparable positions (Southern Region excepted) which had been standardised by the old Railway Clearing House well back in the private company days, and which indicated the class of train. This then came forward as the first character of the 4-character headcode which followed the discs on most diesel locomotives. The majority of the 10 codes were used to indicate the degree of continuous brakes on freight trains.

What is surprising is that after the 4-character codes became the standard, very few of the diesels with discs were rebuilt with these. A few were, particularly those which had significant collision damage and needed a rebuilt nose, but they were only a small number. Part of the reason was that many of these early diesels with discs also had nose communicating doors to be used when the locos were operating in multiple, in theory so the fireman could go back to the rear unit to attend to anything that needed attention there; in practice these weren't really used and most were eventually plated up but it meant it was not straightforward to apply the 4-character equipment there.

Western Region early diesels with discs also had the framing on the nose for the large metal 3-character numbers that WR steam locomotives used on express services, which were then used with the discs showing position 1 and the framing showing positions 2-4 of the 4-character code, so Warship D800 hauling the westbound Cornish Riviera (1C30) would have the two lower discs up for a class 1 train, and C30 in the framing. Until the 4-character scheme came along WR expresses had only used numbers for their identification.

All enthusiasts knew the meanings of the lamp/disc positions because they were printed in each edition of their Ian Allan spotting books!

Last edited:

aitchbomb2014

Why do so many photos in the 1970s show ScR locos with only one number amongst 3 dots displayed in their headcode boxes even though the system was widely used as planned throughout all other regions of BR?

Status
Not open for further replies.