• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Discussion about TOPS allocations in the context of recent locomotive orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
mods note - split from this thread.

Why are they giving it a ship classification when 94-96 & 98 aren't taken? Also, if they are just going to be Stadler EuroDuals, why not use the 93 classification? It feels like they're using new classifications for the sake of it, and soon, we'll run out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
98 aren't taken?
98 is occupied by TOPS registered steam locomotives.

https://features.rcts.org.uk/locomotives/tops-class-98/

INTRODUCTION

The following numbers have been issued by the Rolling Stock Library (RSL) for privately owned steam locomotives.

The third digit represents the power classification and the last two digits are the final two digits of the historic number, except where duplication occurs. A number of locos have been registered on the RSL for the transfer to or from a location where road access is difficult and therefore there may the need for a short shunt by rail, e.g. Didcot Railway Centre and Eastleigh Works. It should be noted that there are a number of preserved “Industrial Locomotives” which have been added to the RSL.

alexl92

Established Member
Surely it's just the merchant Navy class that are 98.
Unless there's a joke I've missed here... the 98 is the TOPS class, the third digit is the power class and the last two are the loco's numbers or as close as possible - so 60009 is 98809 - TOPS class 98 -power class 8- 60009

pdeaves

Established Member
Unless there's a joke I've missed here... the 98 is the TOPS class, the third digit is the power class and the last two are the loco's numbers or as close as possible - so 60009 is 98809 - TOPS class 98 -power class 8- 60009
There was a joke in there, reference '99' originally being ships but Merchant Navy class, being named after ships, are now allocated '98'.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Why are they giving it a ship classification when 94-96 & 98 aren't taken? Also, if they are just going to be Stadler EuroDuals, why not use the 93 classification? It feels like they're using new classifications for the sake of it, and soon, we'll run out.
It is a bit of a mystery. According to my 2019 volume there are only three vehicles in the number ranges 94xxx, 95xxx, 96xxx and 97xxx: GUVs 94225, 96100 and 96175. (95xxx and 97xxx are completely empty).
There are four coaches numbered in the 993xx and 997xx series, and until recently the 99xxx series was used for private-owner vehicles.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There are four coaches numbered in the 993xx and 997xx series, and until recently the 99xxx series was used for private-owner vehicles.
99xxx still is used for private-owner vehicles. There are many more 99xxx vehicles than just the four you have referred to

GB

Established Member

Don't think there is any hard rule that says new classes have to be sequential.

Last edited by a moderator:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well Class 99 fulfils the most important criterion these days, it sounds cooler.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
99xxx still is used for private-owner vehicles. There are many more 99xxx vehicles than just the four you have referred to
According to the 2019 volume I consulted, "....carriages may still carry numbers in the 99xxx number range of the former private owner number series, which is no longer in general use"

There then follows a list of 72 vehicles with numbers ranging from 99025 to 99974.

Whether those numbers are available for re-use as locomotives or not, the point I was trying to make was that the 94, 95, 96 and 97 ranges are emptier.

matacaster

On Moderation
Historically, 'class 99' was allocated to ships [1]. Such knowledge conjures up some interesting mental images!

[1] Obviously, the number can easily be reused; that isn't a problem...
Useful for aire Valley line out of Leeds when it floods?

alexl92

Established Member
Indeed....the class 331 EMUs being a prime example.
I may have missed your point but the 331s were numbered in sequence with the 332s (Heathrow Express) and 333s (Aire Valley Line) are also in that number range.

The exile

Established Member
I may have missed your point but the 331s were numbered in sequence with the 332s (Heathrow Express) and 333s (Aire Valley Line) are also in that number range.
Not sequentially as they came long after the higher numbered classes.

4F89

98 is kettles

McRhu

If they'd been a bit quicker off the mark they could've bagged the "18" slot ahead of Clayton and really provoked a class war.

O8yityityit

Are you suggesting we shouldn't order any more new rolling stock because we don't have a suitable slot in our Platform 5 books?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Are you suggesting we shouldn't order any more new rolling stock because we don't have a suitable slot in our Platform 5 books?
No, I'm simply pointing out the over liberal use of TOPS. GBRf could've taken the 94 classification but chose instead to go down the one-upmanship route and take the 99 classification. In fact, as electro-diesel locomotives, all the Stadler EuroDuals should be classified in the 7x range.

GB

Established Member

There is a finite amount of numbers available, if you believe we will run out of numbers then that will happen whether 99 is used before 94-96 or not. Its all pretty irrelevant anyway as tops classification is just to identify within tops so I don’t see what difference using 99 first makes.

train_lover

Because the class 93 and 99 are completely different in many different ways. It's like saying the class 59 and 66 should be under the same classification. But I agree with what you are saying about other numbers. What I don't know is who gives it the classification. I assume it's the DFT.

Fair enough I take that back then sorry!
No need to apologise bud

On Moderation
In fact, as electro-diesel locomotives, all the Stadler EuroDuals should be classified in the 7x range.
You've jumped to the conclusion that because the 73s (and 74s) are electro-diesels that the 7x series is for electro-diesels, which doesn't fit as there were also 71, 76 and 77 as straight electrics in that range. Historically, the 7x series was for DC electric locos and 80 upwards for AC electric locos (but now including dual voltage and electro-diesel AC locos).

train_lover

You've jumped to the conclusion that because the 73s (and 74s) are electro-diesels that the 7x series is for electro-diesels, which doesn't fit as there were also 71, 76 and 77 as straight electrics in that range. Historically, the 7x series was for DC electric locos and 80 upwards for AC electric locos (but now including dual voltage and electro-diesel AC locos).
As mentioned the 76 and 77 although overhead were DC. Now what's interesting is the fact Class 70s are 70s as they don't fit into the above category.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
No, I'm simply pointing out the over liberal use of TOPS. GBRf could've taken the 94 classification but chose instead to go down the one-upmanship route and take the 99 classification. In fact, as electro-diesel locomotives, all the Stadler EuroDuals should be classified in the 7x range.
TOPS has always had odd stuff floating around, and class numbers reused, and is basically all a mess anyway. There's been no Class 99 ship in almost 38 years (they went off the system when Sealink was sold).

Status
Not open for further replies.