• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Discussion of July 4 changes in England announced by Boris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
As announced by Boris Johnson today:

From 4 July pubs and restaurants will be allowed to open both indoors and outdoors if they put in safety guidelines including table service online.

Other businesses allowed to reopen will be:

• Hotels, bed and breakfasts, campsites and caravan parks
  • Hair salons and barbers but with visors worn
  • Playgrounds, museums, galleries, theme parks, outdoor gyms and arcades, libraries, social clubs and community centres
However nightclubs, spas, indoor soft play areas, bowling alleys, water parks, indoor gyms, nail bars, swimming pools and water parks will not be able to reopen at this stage.

From 4 July the two metre rule is to be relaxed to "one metre plus" where 2m is not possible - but people will be encouraged to have mitigation in place to reduce transmission.

Was this the correct time to make these changes and to move from 2m distancing to a more practical 1m?

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53146191

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
He's done what I suggested, which is "2m if you can, reduce it as much as you need to but take extra precautions if you do". I very much welcome this.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
He's done what I suggested, which is "2m if you can, reduce it as much as you need to but take extra precautions if you do". I very much welcome this.

Well you can interpret it that way, but the headline message is "social distancing rule cut to 1 metre".

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
"...avoid public transport if possible..." :(
This was very disappointing. How can we possibly reopen these sectors, particularly tourism and leisure, if we’re not able to travel on public transport.

It seems ludicrous how, from 4th July, we can visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach and ride rollercoasters but not take the train to get there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This was very disappointing. How can we possibly reopen these sectors, particularly tourism and leisure, if we’re not able to travel on public transport.

It seems ludicrous how, from 4th July, we can visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach and ride rollercoasters but not take the train to get there.

I don't see an issue in that message if the TOCs take it in the spirit it was presumably intended, i.e. drive if you can, but you're welcome on the railway if driving isn't an option. Not what Northern are doing.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
One problem I have with the announcement - pubs are reopening on a Saturday, and are likely to be incredibly busy. It might have been better to open them on a Monday so they would have a few quieter days to prepare for the first weekend.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Not true. You can take the train there if you cannot make the journey by any other means.

Though as others point out, I expect many TOCs will continue to deliberately misinterpret this as "essential travel only".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
He might be saying that at the moment to avoid people using public transport now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the advice changed closer to the 4th July.

I think he probably has to bear in mind that anything he announces now will be what people start doing now, other than business openings, so yes, possibly so.

Bantamzen

Established Member
As announced by Boris Johnson today:

Was this the correct time to make these changes and to move from 2m distancing to a more practical 1m?

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53146191

Was it the right time? Yes I think so, the two May bank holidays that passed by showed that people becoming more mobile and active isn't a guaranteed trigger for a second wave, despite the locktivists practically banking on it. Of course it will be worth keeping an eye on the data in the run up two the 4th July, but with the estimated population currently infected at around 0.1%, so long as people exercise basic common sense, i.e. regular hand washing, cover yer gob when coughing, and of course stay home if you have the symptoms there's no reason for use not to start moving on.

Some of course will be preparing apocalyptic predictions of a deadly new wave, but a bit like when the shops opening I don't think all pubs will open straight away, and not all punters will venture out on day one.

He might be saying that at the moment to avoid people using public transport now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the advice changed closer to the 4th July.

That's how I see it playing out. If the DfT are starting to push for a full service on the 6th July, the messaging is going to have to change if or no other reason than getting revenue starting to flow again. I'd expect something more comprehensive sometime next week. Of course there may be an element of encouraging drinkers to stay local at first to reduce the numbers travelling further afield.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
With hotels set to open, will we see the ability to book long distance train travel in advance return.

As for "avoid public transport if possible" the devil will be in the detail. Will it be a case of try and use other modes if they're available, or the situation now where it's just an excuse to try and stop people using public transport more generally whether they need it or not.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Whilst sadly it doesn’t affect me just now, it’s an encouraging step in the return to normal.
Hopefully it encourages Nicola Sturgeon to introduce something similar up here. I’ve pencilled in a camping break for the end of July so really hope I can do it.
I think he probably has to bear in mind that anything he announces now will be what people start doing now, other than business openings, so yes, possibly so.
Agreed

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Whilst sadly it doesn’t affect me just now, it’s an encouraging step in the return to normal.
Hopefully it encourages Nicola Sturgeon to introduce something similar up here. I’ve pencilled in a camping break for the end of July so really hope I can do it.

Agreed
I think even Sturgeon is starting to see the bigger picture, her remarks today were reassuring and I can only hope that on 15th July the changes which are being made on the 4th in England will be applied up here

theblackwatch

Established Member
One problem I have with the announcement - pubs are reopening on a Saturday, and are likely to be incredibly busy. It might have been better to open them on a Monday so they would have a few quieter days to prepare for the first weekend.

I suspect some pubs will do just that. In my mind, I can already imagine what some of the pubs that do open on the Saturday could be like. Before this announcement, I and some friends had thoughts that if pubs open that weekend, we are likely to delay our first visit to something like 3.30pm midweek, when places will (hopefully) be quieter.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Nothing to say today on quarantining or travel corridors either.
The review on all that is due by the 29th, so maybe a general travel update will be given next week.

Scotland/Wales also being very wary about following all this.
We'll have to see what consensus there is by 4 July.
I suspect it might be the end of July before there is a general UK-wide relaxation (infection rate permitting).

Megafuss

I am genuinely raging at this statement. I

I know the devil is in the detail, but what sort of message is Boris sending to the 1/4 of folk with no access to cars by telling people to avoid public transport if possible. Its wrong and it has to stop

Jamesrob637

Established Member

I think it'll be Monday onwards in reality for pubs and restaurants. They need just under a fortnight to prepare for reopening anyway, for which Saturday is too tight. 4th of July was always only a benchmark not a target :smile:

adc82140

Established Member

I know the devil is in the detail, but what sort of message is Boris sending to the 1/4 of folk with no access to cars by telling people to avoid public transport if possible. Its wrong and it has to stop

But if you don't have a car then you can't avoid public transport. So I'd say that's a green light to using it. My interpretation is use the car if you have one. Otherwise use public transport.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

So if you haven't got a car then the highlighted words apply!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well you can interpret it that way, but the headline message is "social distancing rule cut to 1 metre".

I don't think he's interpreting anything. The Prime Minister said as much...

Mr Johnson said people will be encouraged to use "mitigation" - such as face coverings and not sitting face-to-face - when within 2m of each other and "where it is possible to keep 2m apart, people should".

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I think it'll be Monday onwards in reality for pubs and restaurants. They need just under a fortnight to prepare for reopening anyway, for which Saturday is too tight. 4th of July was always only a benchmark not a target :smile:

I would imagine the hospitality sector were tipped off at least a week ago about today's announcement so I suspect they'll already have had enough time to prepare.

Perhaps the only issue for pubs will be a beer shortage as many brewers stopped brewing during the lockdown as they would have had limited outlets to sell to.

Megafuss

So if you haven't got a car then the highlighted words apply!

Maybe it's the tone of the message I don't like.

Something like "if you rely on public transport to visit these places, then use it. But wear a face covering" tells the same message.

duncanp

Established Member
I would imagine the hospitality sector were tipped off at least a week ago about today's announcement so I suspect they'll already have had enough time to prepare.

Yes.

My local in Birmingham is taking a delivery of beer today, and another one tomorrow, and said yesterday that it will be ready to open on 4th July if that is what the government announce. Brewers would not have started brewing, and pubs would not have placed orders, if they were not reasonably confident that opening on or around 4th July was going to be allowed.

Trackman

Established Member
Pubs/Restaurants etc open on 4th July, Kids don't go back to school until September.
What's going on?
Also no cricket either :(

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The pubs will notionally open, but only with the creation of a huge bureaucracy to track everyone who goes in and out.

I very much doubt any pubs that do open will stay open for long.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Pubs/Restaurants etc open on 4th July, Kids don't go back to school until September.
What's going on?

Er, the summer holidays? (Which will be useful time for schools to properly plan and prepare).

I don't get why not cricket, it's the ultimate social distanced sport. If you can play football, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.