• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disputing intent to avoid fare..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spuddy123

Hi there,

Looking for some advice please ....

In a rush, boarded usual train in hurry, often do so in a rush (childcare, busy life, normal human being who isn't perfect!) have always been able to purchase a ticket on the train no problem, barriers at exit station so couldn't exit without it.

Approached by RPI who I initially thought was a conductor, I asked to purchase a ticket, was asked why I had not already, explained I was in a rush.... name and address taken and told I would receive a letter, not explained what for, asked again to pay for ticket, was refused. Have since received a letter for £71.30, responded saying I didn't understand what this was about as it seemed excessive and didn't make sense given that whilst there are ticket facilities, the queues mean a LOT of people buy tickets on the train.... have since received a letter saying the inspectors report claims I didn't have a ticket and didn't intend to pay the fare, alleged fare evasion.... this is not true at all. Where do I stand? Is this worth continuing to dispute? Have the letter below ready to send... advice please?

Thank you for your most recent letter, however, the further information provided was very shocking and upsetting to me and does not represent the situation so I would therefore like to offer a much more detailed version of the actual events in the hope that you will reconsider the level of fine and potential court action. I apologise if this was not sufficiently clear in my initial response to your first letter but at this point I did not realise that I was being accused of intentionally evading a rail fare.

The letter dated February 21st clearly states that it was my responsibility to pay the fare, a fact which I have never disputed nor refused to do. I apologised at the time for not realising I was in breach of what I have since discovered to be the National Conditions of Travel. What is shocking and untrue, is that I boarded the train knowingly with the explicit intention to avoid the fare. When initially approached by who I on sight assumed was the ‘conductor’ (who later declared himself as a revenue officer) my request to purchase a ticket for the journey was dismissed without warrant, at which point I was questioned as to why I didn’t have a ticket. I further explained that I had been in a rush on this day and whilst I now understand this is not an excuse which is warranted, at the time I had no idea I was doing anything wrong as on tens of occasions I have been able to purchase a ticket on board, or at the desk on the concourse before the barriers at Leicester, as I and many others who commute from Narborough have done. There is precedent for doing this, and I have never been challenged, warned or penalised on this journey previously hence me not realising I was in any way doing anything wrong by joining the service without a ticket.

Upon explaining that I had been in a rush on the day in question and requesting a ticket for my journey (as is something I have done on multiple occasions) the revenue officer simply replied that I should get there in more time and would have to give my name and address. At no point did I refuse, although felt very bewildered at this stage. When asking what would happen next I was simply told ‘you will get a letter and they will decide what you pay’. Having since received a letter demanding £71.30 to resolve the matter I contacted you to again, explain my situation and query the amount as this seemed excessive and unreasonable given the circumstances which I will now further explain. I looked into the National Conditions of Travel and your policy in much more detail.

It is now clear that the officer could have operated ‘discretion’, given me a warning, provided me with an on the spot penalty notice (amounting to £20) or could have even allowed me to buy a ticket, as I offered at least twice. Instead he has reported me for intent to evade a fare.

As stated in your letter of February 21st;

‘When asked to show a valid ticket, it is alleged that you failed to do so and that you also failed the appropriate fare’

Whilst the first part of the statement is correct, it was always my intention and indeed my request at the time, to purchase a ticket, as I have done on every other occasion I have been unable to get one at the ticket office due to circumstances described.

Given the options available and the fact that at no point was I difficult, argumentative or non compliant and indeed explained that this is something that regularly happens due to very limited services operating at Narborough, brings me to the conclusion that your officer did not offer the level of consideration or act within the training which you state has been provided to him.

‘We understand that things can sometimes go wrong and our staff are trained to consider all the circumstances involved and to use their discretion with the information given. You may be given a warning or the matter could be subject to further investigation.’

Further to this, and in line with the Penalty Fares Guidelines (2018)

‘People travelling on trains without a valid ticket or authority may be doing so with good reason and you should feel you are given the opportunity to explain those reasons to a Collector.

Customers should receive a certain level of customer service when they are challenged on ticketless travel and, as a minimum, they should expect,

• To be spoken to politely and clearly

• To feel confident that they will be given an opportunity to provide an explanation

• To not feel victimized by Collectors

• To have the Penalty Fare process explained to them and to have their questions answered

• The right to a receipt if they pay the Penalty Fare in full or in part, and a statement of information relating to the Penalty Fare’

On this occasion the information I was given was not clear, I was genuinely shocked to be threatened with a summons if I do not pay what I feel is a grossly inflated fine for something which could have been paid for and settled on the spot on the day. I don’t feel I had the option to have my questions answered clearly at the time and it certainly was not clear that I was being reported for alleged fare evasion. Had I understood that I was being accused of fare evasion rather than being given a penalty fare I would have taken far more detailed information from the revenue officer and would have been far more adamant in insisting I pay there and then. Given the complexity of the Conditions of Travel I was unable to check the details at that point and did not want to argue or be late for work. On this basis I provided my details and was told I would receive a letter within 21 days.

I have purchased tickets on the train in the past without any issue, on certain days during which I drop my child at school, I often have very limited time to get a ticket at the station (school gates open just before 8.30, the train is 8.39) and often there is a queue. Whilst you suggest not leaving the queue, this on some days has not been an option for me for fear of being late for work. Given that Cross Country has also set a misleading precedent for selling tickets on board to passengers from Narborough I feel that the action you are instigating is above and beyond what is necessary, particularly as I assumed (I now appreciate incorrectly) that I would be able to pay my fare on board as I have done previously. You may not be aware but Narborough station is a small but very busy one and regularly passengers have to leave the queue and purchase on the train (at no point has any ticket officer ever warned me of legal action even though they knowingly sold me tickets from Narborough to Leicester on the train).

The National Conditions of Rail travel state;

You must have a valid Ticket to travel before you board a train where there was the opportunity to buy one unless one of the following circumstances applies:

6.1.1. At the station where you start your journey, there is no means of purchasing a Ticket, either because there is no Ticket office open or self-service Ticket machine in working order; and where notices indicate that you are in a Penalty Fares area you purchase a Permit to Travel if there is a working Permit to Travel issuing machine at the station where you start your journey – see Condition 10 for more information about Penalty Fares; or

6.1.2. Where you are specifically permitted to board a train service by an authorised member of staff or notice of the Train Company whose service you intend to board; or

6.1.3. You have a disability and Ticket purchasing arrangements at the station you are departing from are not suitably accessible. In these cases, you must, as soon as you are reasonably able, buy an appropriate Ticket to complete your journey. The price of the Ticket you purchase will be the same as if you had bought a Ticket at the station from which you first departed.

As, on this occasion, I boarded the train as I have done so several times previously without a ticket, I feel I could suggest that I boarded under the precedence set by Cross Country, that I could purchase a ticket on board or at my destination station prior to exiting the barriers. I would however accept that this does not meet the requirements set out above. There are certainly previous occasions where I would have done where people have been queuing and the station staff member has directed customers to board the train and purchase a ticket on board. It is this precedence that genuinely led me to believe I was honestly not doing anything wrong by boarding the train without a ticket in my hand but with the absolute intention and means by which to do so on the train itself.

Furthermore, in the National Conditions of Travel it states;

Travelling without a valid Ticket (which includes, where relevant, any supporting documentation such as a Railcard), or being unable to present them when asked is a serious matter. Condition 6 sets out the only circumstances where you may board a train without a valid Ticket. If you believe that one of these circumstances applies to you, or that there is another reason that led to you travelling without a valid Ticket or being able to present one, then you should explain this to the member of Train Company staff who has asked to inspect your Ticket.

9.2. If you are unable to present a valid Ticket when asked and the conditions set out in Condition 6 do not apply, we are permitted in law to take one of the following measures:

9.2.1. To charge you a Penalty Fare on certain trains and stations (see Condition 10 below);

or 9.2.2. To charge you the full undiscounted anytime single fare to a station directly served by the train that you are on. You will not be entitled to any discounts or special terms, or for a Ticket to a station other than one served by the train that you are on;

or 9.2.3. To report you for prosecution. If you are unable to present a valid Ticket or to pay a fare (including a part payment of a Penalty Fare to the value of the Ticket required) when requested, you will be required to provide your name and address so that the matter can be followed up.

9.3. It is an offence under the Railway Byelaws to fail to provide your name and address when requested.

It is clear that there are other more appropriate options which were available to the revenue officer on the day itself. It is a misrepresentation of events that the revenue officer had ‘no alternative’ but to report the incident as failure to pay the appropriate fare, he had, as outlined above, several options all more appropriate in level of escalation and penalty and before any conversation took place, I asked to purchase a ticket. I was at no point dishonest, at no point refused to cooperate and pay and had the means and funds by which to do so there and then. Having already initiated a conversation when approached for my ticket which clearly established my desire to purchase a ticket, I have instead been treated as if I were evading payment of fare and reported. The officer could have instead followed 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, particularly as I already immediately asked to purchase a ticket the moment one was requested from me. On the basis of the facts outlined above I therefore strongly dispute the suggestion that I was intending to evade a fare and will therefore ask that the allegation made against me is reconsidered, along with the associated penalties presented. I was happy to pay the amount of the fare (£6.40) or the penalty notice on the spot had it been issued on the day but feel that asking me to pay almost 10 times the amount of the original ticket price and threatening legal action without establishing the factual circumstances is both unnecessary and intimidating. At no point did your revenue officer explain that I was being reported for alleged fare evasion, your letter and particularly the subsequent letter have been genuinely shocking and worrying to me.

On the basis of the detail set out in the letter above I would really appreciate for you to review my case and hope that we can come to a mutually acceptable arrangement for solving this matter which wont involve me having to fork out over ten times the rail fare or receiving a court summons which could have lasting and devastating consequences, all for the sake of a fare I genuinely wanted to pay, offered to pay and was refused the opportunity to do so. Please be reassured that this unfortunate situation means I am now well aware of the absolute need to purchase all tickets in advance of travel in line with the National Conditions of Travel, regardless of whether I have been able to purchase the on my journey historically. I trust that my review will be dealt with fairly and look forward to hearing your further response.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi there,

Looking for some advice please ....

In a rush, boarded usual train in hurry, often do so in a rush (childcare, busy life, normal human being who isn't perfect!) have always been able to purchase a ticket on the train no problem, barriers at exit station so couldn't exit without it.

Approached by RPI who I initially thought was a conductor, I asked to purchase a ticket, was asked why I had not already, explained I was in a rush.... name and address taken and told I would receive a letter, not explained what for, asked again to pay for ticket, was refused. Have since received a letter for £71.30, responded saying I didn't understand what this was about as it seemed excessive and didn't make sense given that whilst there are ticket facilities, the queues mean a LOT of people buy tickets on the train.... have since received a letter saying the inspectors report claims I didn't have a ticket and didn't intend to pay the fare, alleged fare evasion.... this is not true at all. Where do I stand? Is this worth continuing to dispute? Have the letter below ready to send... advice please?

Thank you for your most recent letter, however, the further information provided was very shocking and upsetting to me and does not represent the situation so I would therefore like to offer a much more detailed version of the actual events in the hope that you will reconsider the level of fine and potential court action. I apologise if this was not sufficiently clear in my initial response to your first letter but at this point I did not realise that I was being accused of intentionally evading a rail fare.

The letter dated February 21st clearly states that it was my responsibility to pay the fare, a fact which I have never disputed nor refused to do. I apologised at the time for not realising I was in breach of what I have since discovered to be the National Conditions of Travel. What is shocking and untrue, is that I boarded the train knowingly with the explicit intention to avoid the fare. When initially approached by who I on sight assumed was the ‘conductor’ (who later declared himself as a revenue officer) my request to purchase a ticket for the journey was dismissed without warrant, at which point I was questioned as to why I didn’t have a ticket. I further explained that I had been in a rush on this day and whilst I now understand this is not an excuse which is warranted, at the time I had no idea I was doing anything wrong as on tens of occasions I have been able to purchase a ticket on board, or at the desk on the concourse before the barriers at Leicester, as I and many others who commute from Narborough have done. There is precedent for doing this, and I have never been challenged, warned or penalised on this journey previously hence me not realising I was in any way doing anything wrong by joining the service without a ticket.

Upon explaining that I had been in a rush on the day in question and requesting a ticket for my journey (as is something I have done on multiple occasions) the revenue officer simply replied that I should get there in more time and would have to give my name and address. At no point did I refuse, although felt very bewildered at this stage. When asking what would happen next I was simply told ‘you will get a letter and they will decide what you pay’. Having since received a letter demanding £71.30 to resolve the matter I contacted you to again, explain my situation and query the amount as this seemed excessive and unreasonable given the circumstances which I will now further explain. I looked into the National Conditions of Travel and your policy in much more detail.

It is now clear that the officer could have operated ‘discretion’, given me a warning, provided me with an on the spot penalty notice (amounting to £20) or could have even allowed me to buy a ticket, as I offered at least twice. Instead he has reported me for intent to evade a fare.

As stated in your letter of February 21st;

‘When asked to show a valid ticket, it is alleged that you failed to do so and that you also failed the appropriate fare’

Whilst the first part of the statement is correct, it was always my intention and indeed my request at the time, to purchase a ticket, as I have done on every other occasion I have been unable to get one at the ticket office due to circumstances described.

Given the options available and the fact that at no point was I difficult, argumentative or non compliant and indeed explained that this is something that regularly happens due to very limited services operating at Narborough, brings me to the conclusion that your officer did not offer the level of consideration or act within the training which you state has been provided to him.

‘We understand that things can sometimes go wrong and our staff are trained to consider all the circumstances involved and to use their discretion with the information given. You may be given a warning or the matter could be subject to further investigation.’

Further to this, and in line with the Penalty Fares Guidelines (2018)

‘People travelling on trains without a valid ticket or authority may be doing so with good reason and you should feel you are given the opportunity to explain those reasons to a Collector.

Customers should receive a certain level of customer service when they are challenged on ticketless travel and, as a minimum, they should expect,

• To be spoken to politely and clearly

• To feel confident that they will be given an opportunity to provide an explanation

• To not feel victimized by Collectors

• To have the Penalty Fare process explained to them and to have their questions answered

• The right to a receipt if they pay the Penalty Fare in full or in part, and a statement of information relating to the Penalty Fare’

On this occasion the information I was given was not clear, I was genuinely shocked to be threatened with a summons if I do not pay what I feel is a grossly inflated fine for something which could have been paid for and settled on the spot on the day. I don’t feel I had the option to have my questions answered clearly at the time and it certainly was not clear that I was being reported for alleged fare evasion. Had I understood that I was being accused of fare evasion rather than being given a penalty fare I would have taken far more detailed information from the revenue officer and would have been far more adamant in insisting I pay there and then. Given the complexity of the Conditions of Travel I was unable to check the details at that point and did not want to argue or be late for work. On this basis I provided my details and was told I would receive a letter within 21 days.

I have purchased tickets on the train in the past without any issue, on certain days during which I drop my child at school, I often have very limited time to get a ticket at the station (school gates open just before 8.30, the train is 8.39) and often there is a queue. Whilst you suggest not leaving the queue, this on some days has not been an option for me for fear of being late for work. Given that Cross Country has also set a misleading precedent for selling tickets on board to passengers from Narborough I feel that the action you are instigating is above and beyond what is necessary, particularly as I assumed (I now appreciate incorrectly) that I would be able to pay my fare on board as I have done previously. You may not be aware but Narborough station is a small but very busy one and regularly passengers have to leave the queue and purchase on the train (at no point has any ticket officer ever warned me of legal action even though they knowingly sold me tickets from Narborough to Leicester on the train).

The National Conditions of Rail travel state;

You must have a valid Ticket to travel before you board a train where there was the opportunity to buy one unless one of the following circumstances applies:

6.1.1. At the station where you start your journey, there is no means of purchasing a Ticket, either because there is no Ticket office open or self-service Ticket machine in working order; and where notices indicate that you are in a Penalty Fares area you purchase a Permit to Travel if there is a working Permit to Travel issuing machine at the station where you start your journey – see Condition 10 for more information about Penalty Fares; or

6.1.2. Where you are specifically permitted to board a train service by an authorised member of staff or notice of the Train Company whose service you intend to board; or

6.1.3. You have a disability and Ticket purchasing arrangements at the station you are departing from are not suitably accessible. In these cases, you must, as soon as you are reasonably able, buy an appropriate Ticket to complete your journey. The price of the Ticket you purchase will be the same as if you had bought a Ticket at the station from which you first departed.

As, on this occasion, I boarded the train as I have done so several times previously without a ticket, I feel I could suggest that I boarded under the precedence set by Cross Country, that I could purchase a ticket on board or at my destination station prior to exiting the barriers. I would however accept that this does not meet the requirements set out above. There are certainly previous occasions where I would have done where people have been queuing and the station staff member has directed customers to board the train and purchase a ticket on board. It is this precedence that genuinely led me to believe I was honestly not doing anything wrong by boarding the train without a ticket in my hand but with the absolute intention and means by which to do so on the train itself.

Furthermore, in the National Conditions of Travel it states;

Travelling without a valid Ticket (which includes, where relevant, any supporting documentation such as a Railcard), or being unable to present them when asked is a serious matter. Condition 6 sets out the only circumstances where you may board a train without a valid Ticket. If you believe that one of these circumstances applies to you, or that there is another reason that led to you travelling without a valid Ticket or being able to present one, then you should explain this to the member of Train Company staff who has asked to inspect your Ticket.

9.2. If you are unable to present a valid Ticket when asked and the conditions set out in Condition 6 do not apply, we are permitted in law to take one of the following measures:

9.2.1. To charge you a Penalty Fare on certain trains and stations (see Condition 10 below);

or 9.2.2. To charge you the full undiscounted anytime single fare to a station directly served by the train that you are on. You will not be entitled to any discounts or special terms, or for a Ticket to a station other than one served by the train that you are on;

or 9.2.3. To report you for prosecution. If you are unable to present a valid Ticket or to pay a fare (including a part payment of a Penalty Fare to the value of the Ticket required) when requested, you will be required to provide your name and address so that the matter can be followed up.

9.3. It is an offence under the Railway Byelaws to fail to provide your name and address when requested.

It is clear that there are other more appropriate options which were available to the revenue officer on the day itself. It is a misrepresentation of events that the revenue officer had ‘no alternative’ but to report the incident as failure to pay the appropriate fare, he had, as outlined above, several options all more appropriate in level of escalation and penalty and before any conversation took place, I asked to purchase a ticket. I was at no point dishonest, at no point refused to cooperate and pay and had the means and funds by which to do so there and then. Having already initiated a conversation when approached for my ticket which clearly established my desire to purchase a ticket, I have instead been treated as if I were evading payment of fare and reported. The officer could have instead followed 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, particularly as I already immediately asked to purchase a ticket the moment one was requested from me. On the basis of the facts outlined above I therefore strongly dispute the suggestion that I was intending to evade a fare and will therefore ask that the allegation made against me is reconsidered, along with the associated penalties presented. I was happy to pay the amount of the fare (£6.40) or the penalty notice on the spot had it been issued on the day but feel that asking me to pay almost 10 times the amount of the original ticket price and threatening legal action without establishing the factual circumstances is both unnecessary and intimidating. At no point did your revenue officer explain that I was being reported for alleged fare evasion, your letter and particularly the subsequent letter have been genuinely shocking and worrying to me.

On the basis of the detail set out in the letter above I would really appreciate for you to review my case and hope that we can come to a mutually acceptable arrangement for solving this matter which wont involve me having to fork out over ten times the rail fare or receiving a court summons which could have lasting and devastating consequences, all for the sake of a fare I genuinely wanted to pay, offered to pay and was refused the opportunity to do so. Please be reassured that this unfortunate situation means I am now well aware of the absolute need to purchase all tickets in advance of travel in line with the National Conditions of Travel, regardless of whether I have been able to purchase the on my journey historically. I trust that my review will be dealt with fairly and look forward to hearing your further response.

Hi - you need to start off with posting some basic info as requested by the site guidance page (eg journey details where to and from, time of travel, location where you were asked for your ticket etc) so that people can consider what the purchase on the train option you say is common is actually based on etc.

see:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/please-read-before-posting-in-disputes-prosecutions.77759/

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
The following is assuming that you started your journey at a station that had either had an open ticket office or ticket machine that 1. was working 2. could sell the ticket you wanted and 3. accepted whatever payment method you wanted to use....

I understand you have received a letter giving you an opportunity to pay £71.30 in settlement of this matter. How long do you have to pay this? If that offer is still open then you should pay it ASAP. In future make sure you buy a ticket before boarding the train. It is an offence not to when ticket selling facilities are available. I really hope the offer is still open to you as the alternative is that you receive a Court Summons. You need to pay this as a matter of urgency (TODAY!) and don't get on the train without a ticket again.

If the matter proceeds further the company may not offer a further out of court settlement and, if they do, it will likely be for a lot more then this. If the matter proceeds to Court (which it easily could - they already have enough evidence to convict you) then you could face a fine by court, a criminal record and have to pay the train companies costs. This is going to, again, cost a lot more.

If however you boarded at a station at which there was no opportunity to purchase your ticket before boarding then that changes things. If so, post back with the full details please.

Spuddy123

Hello there, thank you for your replies.

The time was 8.39 on the Narborough to Leicester service, asked for a ticket upon boarding the train, not a regular occurrence but I would say once/twice a month perhaps I am late to get out of door (lunchbox left behind, doesn't want to go to school etc) I have commuted on this route for over 10 years, have never once been warned, challenged or penalised for buying a ticket on this train.

In response to the second response - a letter was received which gave the option to provide further information or to conclude by paying the fine. Provided further information and received a second letter stating they were alleging 'intent to avoid a fare' - I had immediately before even realising he wasa revenue officer asked to purchase a ticket, had my card in my hand etc. The particular route and regular conductors have established precedent for selling tickets to commuters from Narbrorough and South Wigston to allow them to exit at Leicester barriers.

Genuinely not disputing I didn't have a ticket or that I should pay but the suggestion I was intending to avoid a fare and have been penalised above and beyond what seems to be an on the spot fine amounting to far less seems unfair? I had understood the Penalty Fares rules were there to allow for 'honest mistakes', is this not the case?

to clarify - there is a station office at Narborough which regularly has queues and I have on several occasions been told by the staff member to get on the train and purchase a ticket there during particularly busy periods where it is clear the train will arrive before the queue will be gone.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
You have been making a regular habit then of breaking the law, not using ticket selling facilities before boarding and then buying on board. It doesn't matter what has happened before the day in question. If on the day in question there were ticket selling facilities available (note that you need to allow time for the que) and you choose not to use them then the train company has you bang to rights here. If the person in the ticket office that morning instructed you to get on the train and buy on board then that is different, but it doesn't sound like they did.

You are very lucky to be given the opportunity to dispose of this matter for £71.30 However there will be a time limit attached to this and it possible that the next step will be that you receive a court summons. Do you really want that? This £71.30 is what is called an Out of Court Settlement. This will consist of the fare that wasn't paid plus a contribution towards the costs incurred in administering the matter on the part of the train company. It is not a fine, as only a court can impose that and it is not a Penalty Fare. The latter is a separate scheme.

The train company may well assume, based on your correspondence to them, that you are frequently avoiding paying your fare and only paying when challenged.

Given your journey appears to have been made with Cross Country you are very fortunate to be offered such a settlement so soon. They outsource such investigations to a dreadful company called Transport Investigations Limited to fail to listen to reason and seem too happy to issue legal proceedings. Get on the phone to the number on the top of the letter you have received and pay the £71.30 - if indeed it is still on offer. That offer will have a time limit attached to it and it is important to understand the urgency of the situation. If you go to Court you might get to have your say, but you WILL loose and end up with a criminal record.

Last edited:

Any_Permitted

I don’t believe Cross Country operate Penalty Fares, hence why you weren’t given that option.

I completely agree the situation seems unfair. Unfortunately I do believe that Cross Country would win if this case reached a court. Technically they are in the right legally: Byelaw 18 forbids boarding a train without a ticket if ticket issuing facilities are available at the station, even if there is a long queue. The “intent to avoid the fare” Regulation of Railways act 1889 seems harder to prove but it’s not impossible for them to say “You walked past an open ticket office, your actions showed intent to avoid the fare”.

The water is muddied slightly by the ticket office telling people to get on the train. This could constitute permission to travel without a ticket, but proving it would be a huge challenge and I doubt it would help. Narborough station is managed by East Midlands Railway yet only Cross Country seem to run services from it, so you have two different companies in the mix.

I completely understand any frustration, but I do feel fighting this in court is a very likely loss. Paying an out-of-court settlement is the best option: get this paid AS SOON AS YOU CAN. This immediately frees you from the threat of legal action; you can then complain to customer services about the long queues if you wish.

In the future is there a way you could avoid having to buy tickets at the office in the morning? Could you buy a season ticket, or buy multiple tickets for the week online at once and collect them at Leicester (having bought a ticket from the office for that day only)?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hello there, thank you for your replies.

The time was 8.39 on the Narborough to Leicester service, asked for a ticket upon boarding the train, not a regular occurrence but I would say once/twice a month perhaps I am late to get out of door (lunchbox left behind, doesn't want to go to school etc) I have commuted on this route for over 10 years, have never once been warned, challenged or penalised for buying a ticket on this train.

In response to the second response - a letter was received which gave the option to provide further information or to conclude by paying the fine. Provided further information and received a second letter stating they were alleging 'intent to avoid a fare' - I had immediately before even realising he wasa revenue officer asked to purchase a ticket, had my card in my hand etc. The particular route and regular conductors have established precedent for selling tickets to commuters from Narbrorough and South Wigston to allow them to exit at Leicester barriers.

Genuinely not disputing I didn't have a ticket or that I should pay but the suggestion I was intending to avoid a fare and have been penalised above and beyond what seems to be an on the spot fine amounting to far less seems unfair? I had understood the Penalty Fares rules were there to allow for 'honest mistakes', is this not the case?

to clarify - there is a station office at Narborough which regularly has queues and I have on several occasions been told by the staff member to get on the train and purchase a ticket there during particularly busy periods where it is clear the train will arrive before the queue will be gone.

Judging by other recent threads on this forum that you can look over, about people being caught without tickets on Cross Country services they are taking a tougher line more generally to what may have become 'custom and practice' in the past. If you were not specifically instructed to buy on board by a staff member on this occasion you will probably not get very far arguing it was allowed in the past.

So I would generally agree with gray1404s advice (but others may post with differing options so you may want to keep an eye on this thread for 24 hours). My hunch is that you should pay the sum demanded and argue with Cross Country's (XC) customer services afterwards that it is disproportionately high (it's lower than another recent one posted where a passenger mistakenly over rode beyond the validity of their ticket for example).

AND - you may have chance if you consider this:

To argue that it is OK to buy on board I would suspect you need to spend some time at your regular travel time keeping a diary of how long you typically expect to queue at the ticket office to get a ticket and if this is long (see Rail Ombudsman Guidance on that) time you could argue it was 'unreasonable' and that you have good reason not to be able to buy before boarding - some ticket offices have target times (Transport Focus and the Rail Ombudsman may well have guidance on this generally)

AND

In fact I suspect this is your only prospect of success really - also there is a bit of an anomaly at Narborough (which I note does not have a ticket machine according to NRE website - unless you know different) in that it is only served by XC trains but station, inc ticket office, is operated by East Mids Railway - they DO have clearly set down target ticket office queuing times - see page 12 of their Passenger Charter:
https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co....tOZfvTo/emr_passengers_charter_dl_booklet.pdf

"Remember to arrive at the station in plenty of time to buy a ticket if you have not already bought one in advance. Our aim is to make sure you do not have to queue for more than five minutes at peak times or three minutes at any other time. We display details of these peak times at ticket offices. We will monitor our achievements of these queuing times as part of our continuous improvement programme. Where queueing times are not being achieved at a station and are prolonged, you can buy either a ticket en-route or at your destination."

SO - you could ask EMR's customer services for their monitoring data on queuing times at Narborough Station in the morning peak - if this repeatedly fails to meet that 5 mins time , esp by EMR's own admission - then you could reasonably expect to buy on board, as the station operator makes it clear that is acceptable in their published literature (even if XC as another operator may not like that, it's not your problem) and I believe you could enlist the Rail Ombudsman in adjudicating on that aspect if XC refused it.

Turning to penalty fares point:

I don't think Penalty Fares rules allow for honest mistakes, actually (think they intended are a quick, simple to admin, easy way of implementing an on the spot type disincentive fine by the companies that use them) BUT AFAIK XC do not operate a penalty fares scheme anyway - so that is a red herring - it's unpaid fare and escalates towards criminal offence option as a result (hence Gray1404's advice I suspect)

I expect you have checked it out but this is what they say:
https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/no-ticket

FWIW I personally regard XC as a poor quality train operator, with poor behind the scenes customer services back up, and parts of their website that are less than helpful. Sadly it is par for the course with some of the companies that the UK govt appoints to run certain train services. But that does not detract from the weak position you are in on this one.

So in summary I would:

a) pay what XC are asking now
b) complain to XC about that, state the queues are too long at the station and you could not get your ticket before boarding at the ticket office (ignore their arguments that you could buy on line etc etc, you are not required to do so), and thus the sum they are demanding from you is unfair (XC will probably be unsympathetic)
c) ask EMR for their figs on queuing times at Narborough in the AM peak (if they have no data, do some DIY monitoring and keep records)
d) appeal to XC using the EMR data to show that indeed the queuing time is unreasonable, if it is - use the EMR info to back up your case (XC may still be unsympathetic)
e) then refer it all to the Rail Ombudsman based on the queuing time argument - ask them to consider the settlement you want - ie a refund of the sum paid to XC over and above the legitimate fare you expected to pay on board.

Do it all in writing, keep copies.

Post drafts of your letters on here if you like for advice on them (FWIW I thought your copy of earlier letter was a bit on the long side).

Hope this helps, good luck.

I appreciate that you will have to decide if the time taken to do all of this is worth the £70ish to close the matter now, but if the queues were persistently really bad (over 5 mins) I'd probably do a to e above.

Oh, and whenever you suffer a late train, claim compensation.

Last edited:

smsm1

In the future is there a way you could avoid having to buy tickets at the office in the morning? Could you buy a season ticket, or buy multiple tickets for the week online at once and collect them at Leicester (having bought a ticket from the office for that day only)?
It seems to be possible to buy e-tickets for the Narborough to Leicester route through the cross-country website/app, so this could be an option to save you queuing at the ticket office by buying it before getting to the station. More a way to prevent the issue in the future.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Narborough and Leicester stations are both operated by East Midlands Railway so that is likely to be who the OP is dealing with.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Narborough and Leicester stations are both operated by East Midlands Railway so that is likely to be who the OP is dealing with.

Good point.

OP says : "The time was 8.39 on the Narborough to Leicester service, asked for a ticket upon boarding the train"

So unclear if that means OP asked to buy a ticket upon boarding the train, or was asked to show a ticket when boarding the train - eg by the gaurd. So XC staff

1st post implies RPI picked it up at Leicester barrier line (if so EMR staff).

Spuddy123

Thank you for all of your time and consideration and more importantly advice. I have to say I think the system is flawed but don’t have the means to challenge further. I will however be ensuring that signs at narborough and the staff there properly inform their customers. No one buying a ticket would ever in their right mind go fully into the depths of the bylaws and conditions unless challenged and the custom and practice of selling tickets on a train from stations with ticket offices presents a perception (via the fact they are seen as ‘officlals’ of the operator) that you are not doing anything wrong.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thank you for all of your time and consideration and more importantly advice. I have to say I think the system is flawed but don’t have the means to challenge further. I will however be ensuring that signs at narborough and the staff there properly inform their customers. No one buying a ticket would ever in their right mind go fully into the depths of the bylaws and conditions unless challenged and the custom and practice of selling tickets on a train from stations with ticket offices presents a perception (via the fact they are seen as ‘officlals’ of the operator) that you are not doing anything wrong.

Spuddy this was the other recent case I was thinking of that you may want to compare with (not exactly the same problem but much worse £ request made...)
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/letter-from-til-threatening-prosecution.200102/

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes, tend to agree. Other places on this forum have discussed the problems arising from longstanding 'norm' to buy (or for some people to dodge buying) fares on the train as a practice dating back to BR Paytrain days that is / was widely accepted inc by on train staff.

Sadly UK govt are trying to move trains cos from this to much wider application of penalty fares, barrier lines and ticket machines with assumption you are breaking the law if you do not buy before boarding in a way that was not the case historically - I seem to think they are trying to use this to create a culture change on the part of the passenger. In my view this is what you have been caught out by.

I assume in all this you have always indeed actually bought a ticket every time, and never ridden for free when the guard didn't make it round?

(which would be unlike the colleague who sits near me at work (and who earns over £35k a year) who gleefully regails us every day where the following applies that he did not pay on his trip to work that morning as the gaurd never came round and the ticket machine would only take cards and he is nor required to use a card if he does not wish to - it's people like him who they are trying to get the culture change over to - and a big fine is probably the only way that will work).

Spuddy123

Good point.

OP says : "The time was 8.39 on the Narborough to Leicester service, asked for a ticket upon boarding the train"

So unclear if that means OP asked to buy a ticket upon boarding the train, or was asked to show a ticket when boarding the train - eg by the gaurd. So XC staff

1st post implies RPI picked it up at Leicester barrier line (if so EMR staff
Good point.

The ‘conductor’ (now known to be a revenue officer) almost immediately a
Good point.

The RPI (or conductor as I assumed him to be) was on the train

Spuddy123

Yes, tend to agree. Other places on this forum have discussed the problems arising from longstanding 'norm' to buy (or for some people to dodge buying) fares on the train as a practice dating back to BR Paytrain days that is / was widely accepted inc by on train staff.

Sadly UK govt are trying to move trains cos from this to much wider application of penalty fares, barrier lines and ticket machines with assumption you are breaking the law if you do not buy before boarding in a way that was not the case historically - I seem to think they are trying to use this to create a culture change on the part of the passenger. In my view this is what you have been caught out by.

I assume in all this you have always indeed actually bought a ticket every time, and never ridden for free when the guard didn't make it round?

(which would be unlike the colleague who sits near me at work (and who earns over £35k a year) who gleefully regails us every day where the following applies that he did not pay on his trip to work that morning as the gaurd never came round and the ticket machine would only take cards and he is nor required to use a card if he does not wish to - it's people like him who they are trying to get the culture change over to - and a big fine is probably the only way that will work).
I have always got a ticket, sometimes running to catch the conductor as he leaves the train if he hasn't made it my carriage to ensure I don't have to go to the ticket office (a small kiosk at the back end of the Leicester concourse) where there may be another queue, there are barriers at Leicester, without a ticket I cannot get through full stop.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I have always got a ticket, sometimes running to catch the conductor as he leaves the train if he hasn't made it my carriage to ensure I don't have to go to the ticket office (a small kiosk at the back end of the Leicester concourse) where there may be another queue, there are barriers at Leicester, without a ticket I cannot get through full stop.

So it was on board XC trains staff that issued you with this level of charge for not having a ticket?

I think your only option is to request the ticket office queuing times data from east Mids Railway (I've had a good look at the Performance section of their website and they do not seem to publish that data)
https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/help-manage/about-us/performance

And then argue to XC that the ticket office queuing times are too long for you to have bought a ticket in the reasonable time you had available to expect to be able to buy one according to industry set down targets, and thus you should have been allowed to buy on the train for the usual fare, as the guide provided by the station operator makes clear.

But you should pay the sum now and argue for that afterwards, as otherwise you could be attempting to argue it at court where if you are unsuccessful a lot more money will be at stake.

LowLevel

Established Member
XC have a small number of RPIs that work on board Leicester services.

Status
Not open for further replies.