• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption on SEML at Sevenoaks 25/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HAP

Engineering works at Sevenoaks have overrun, meaning disruption to early morning services through the station. Some services from Tonbrigde to London will divert via Redhill. Buses operating between Tonbridge and Orpington.

http://www.kentlive.news/southeaste...ead-tomorrow/story-30520275-detail/story.html

Southeastern rail services through Sevenoaks are set to be majorly affected during peak periods tomorrow morning.

The rail network is warning passengers to plan ahead, after announcing this weekend's engineering works will overrun and affect peak services before 8am on Monday morning (September 25).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
The possession is expected to overrun to at least 0730hrs vice 0345hrs. There have been problems with maintaining air quality in Sevenoaks Tunnel, which is where the overrunning works are. This has caused the workforce to delay - and from time to time also pause - access to the site. The scope of the works had actually already been reduced earlier this weekend by previous similar issues, before the overrun could have become apparent. Now, even the revised scale of work cannot be done on time. S&T are still expected to be testing the relaid track long after it should have opened for traffic.

There is also a risk to Southern passengers because extra SE services via Redhill could cause congestion. The impact of this is recognised by the relevant Control teams but the effect is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The possession is expected to overrun to at least 0730hrs vice 0345hrs. There have been problems with maintaining air quality in Sevenoaks Tunnel, which is where the overrunning works are. This has caused the workforce to delay - and from time to time also pause - access to the site. The scope of the works had actually already been reduced earlier this weekend by previous similar issues, before the overrun could have become apparent. Now, even the revised scale of work cannot be done on time. S&T are still expected to be testing the relaid track long after it should have opened for traffic.

There is also a risk to Southern passengers because extra SE services via Redhill could cause congestion. The impact of this is recognised by the relevant Control teams but the effect is yet to be seen.

If the Orange Army find my tape of Def Leppards Hysteria which a bell end called 'bull*****' Bayliss lobbed out of our school train EPB in there in 1988 I would like it back.

Last edited:

2HAP

Just love the lazy 'copy and paste off the TOC's website' journalism.

FYI, I didn't copy and paste, but typed it out. I thought it might be nice forewarn people of this problem. Don't shoot the messenger.

Veteran Member
FYI, I didn't copy and paste, but typed it out. I thought it might be nice forewarn people of this problem. Don't shoot the messenger.

Think phil1960 was referring to Kent Live not you :D

gavin

Major changes until at least 14:00 now

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Hopefully completed by about midday now... but yes, residual disruption until mid-afternoon will be likely. I believe Southern will accept tickets in the evening peak, but best to check the SE website.

Last edited:

gavin

Network rail statement

attachment.php

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailSE/status/912260727825666049

Attachments

• DKj_12xWkAEqZfI.jpg
    DKj_12xWkAEqZfI.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

gavin

2W28 looks like it will be the 1st service through the area currently 80L from Marden will be further delayed if the lines don't open at noon

EDIT

Terminated at Tonbridge

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Noon handover was actually 1207, so a drop in the ocean on the scale of the overrun itself.

The final target for restoring normal service is now just after 1800, but SE very much want to get most of it done before then, if possible.

Looks like Southern will still accept tickets to/from Tonbridge, Ashford Intl and Hastings, and via Oxted, until 2000hrs.

Last edited:

George109

Seems to be more disruption tonight as there are more urgent repairs to the railway in Sevenoaks that didn't get finished last night.

Strange as I can't see any line blocks around Sevenoaks on OpenTrainTimes and NRE says disruption between Bellingham and Sevenoaks?

Is this a different thing that Southeastern have also blamed on Sevenoaks?

Due to urgent repairs to the track in the Sevenoaks area, some lines will be blocked. These urgent repairs to the track unfortunately didn't get completed last night and that's the reason for this disruption to these services tonight.
Train services running through the Sevenoaks area will be cancelled or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of service.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A question regarding the origional overrun, is this particular tunnel poorly ventilated generally but able to cope in daily service but not with the plant etc used in upgrade works?
Or is there some other factor at play here?

A question regarding the origional overrun, is this particular tunnel poorly ventilated generally but able to cope in daily service but not with the plant etc used in upgrade works?

This is a fairly long Tunnel at 1mile, From what I read there was issues with the ventilation fans not working properly . Im assuming that the air quality is monitored whilst engineering workers are inside the tunnel for extended periods.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

All heavy works in anything but the shortest tunnels needs ventilation. Aside from the fumes coming from the plant, there is ballast dust to worry about, plus all sorts of horrible stuff in the track bed (much of which has come out of train toilets over the last 40 years plus since the ballast / drainage was last done) that gets airborne when it's dug up or stirred up.

Expression357

Seems to be more disruption tonight as there are more urgent repairs to the railway in Sevenoaks that didn't get finished last night.

Strange as I can't see any line blocks around Sevenoaks on OpenTrainTimes and NRE says disruption between Bellingham and Sevenoaks?

Is this a different thing that Southeastern have also blamed on Sevenoaks?

Was an emergency possession to remedy an emergency speed restriction of (I believe) 5mph that had been imposed in giving up the block so the work certainly needed completing.

I believe Network Rail also addressed a defective IBJ within the block.

Expression357

Tunnel is pretty grim anyway, however, reports are that due to poor air quality, the track workers needed to leave the tunnel more often than had been planned for, in order to get fresh air.

Clearly in such a long tunnel, getting out and then back in to position for work to resume, became timely.

Status
Not open for further replies.