• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Distance you live from the depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

true_blue1989

Hi guys new to the site,

I have seen a few trainee driver positions posted over the last couple of weeks but each of them have been down south and i live up north. My question is can you still apply for a position when you live more then 40mins/1hour away from the depot if you are willing to relocate if a job is offered in the future.

For example MTR are advertising places at Ilford depot but it says you must live within 40mins, i live alot longer away then this but would move to inside that distance if i got a job.

When i notify them of my location in the application will they just dismiss it and throw me on the 'NO' pile or be fine with me relocating?

cheers chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JBM 37404

I reckon it would depend on the number of suitable candidates who live within the required distance/time. Relocation is something that an employer is wary of relying on unless they are short of suitable candidates which can happen but isn't always the norm...

theironroad

Established Member
If relocating to London an south east, I'd have a look at rental costs for housing and then consider if it is worth it.

Johncleesefan

In my experience I would say its fine.i lived in York when I applied down south. Just research the area too. In my dm interview it came up.i had knowledge on housing prices and agencies to use and stated a lot of prep I had done in relocation and it worked for me ??????

Northern have become particularly stringent on this with disclaimers telling non locals not to bother applying, however it's not across the board, had an interview recently and relocation wasn't an issue.

Seve

When I applied it stated that I must live within 60 mins from the depot that I am applying too. I know that recent advertised Trainee Train driver does now state 45 mins !

Last edited:

KT530

Depends on the TOC; First Group TOCs certainly allow you to relocate and is not a problem. I lived 2.5 hrs away when I initially applied.

Just show you would be committed to moving by bringing evidence at interview, such as housing research in the local area.

cossie4i

At the moment I live 172 miles from my depot.

The company was informed of my location before I even had my interview. Had no problems from the company as I said I would be relocating and that I would stay in a B&B whilst waiting for the house sale to complete.

Still waiting for the sale to go through, should of been next week.

Doing driving hours at the moment so not a problem.

true_blue1989

cheers for the replies guys. I am going to go forward to putting in a application to ones that dont specifically say i have to live within the required time/distance at the time of applying and see how we get on from there :D

Status
Not open for further replies.