• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused platform Liverpool James Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseyrail

I get the train to Liverpool James Street station every morning to work. As many of you will know James Street station has a total of three platforms. Two of which, platforms 1 and 3, are fully operational whilst platform 2 is disused.

I'm aware platform 2 was abandoned with the introduction of the "Loop" but does anyone know exactly why this had to be done?

Also, and my main question is, considering the fact that platform 2 hasn't been used for passenger trains since the 70's why is it constantly kept so up to date with modern Merseyrail yellow liveried seats, signs, staircases and even a modern Merseyrail wall mounted push button customer services / 999 call box thingy.

I can understand them making sure the platform doesn't fall into disrepair and cause a H&S hazard but it's the way they've kept the original circa early 1900's decor (while the rest of Merseyrail is kitted out in that ugly looking brown plasticy stuff) yet the other week I saw a man giving a disused staircase a new lick of paint. Considering the platform hasn't been used by passengers in 30 years I just don't understand it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
There are many, many occasions when trains terminate short at James St and turn back from there, hence why Platform 2 is provided.

It is quite wrong to say it hasn't been used for thirty years. You simply have not been about when it has been used.

The line through Platform 2 in any case forms the Link line to the Northern Line, amnd is used by ECS and Engineers trains.

Merseyrail

There are many, many occasions when trains terminate short at James St and turn back from there, hence why Platform 2 is provided.

It is quite wrong to say it hasn't been used for thirty years. You simply have not been about when it has been used.

The line through Platform 2 in any case forms the Link line to the Northern Line, amnd is used by ECS and Engineers trains.

I'm aware maintenance vehicles use the track that goes through the platform most days as I've see them quite often in the morning. I've never seen a train alight at platform 2 before though, and I've used the station literally thousands of times, albeit around the same each day which would be about 9:35am.

Which days / times of day would this be? If possible I'd like to take a ride on one of these trains.

Old Timer

Established Member
Turnbacks happen when there is an incident, ECS services cannot be travelled on.

On the basis of what you say I am rather surprised you have not terminated at James St, especially after the derailment in the Loop a couple of years back.

The last time James St was used big style was when the tunnels and track was being upgraded some years back.

Merseyrail

Turnbacks happen when there is an incident, ECS services cannot be travelled on.

On the basis of what you say I am rather surprised you have not terminated at James St, especially after the derailment in the Loop a couple of years back.

The last time James St was used big style was when the tunnels and track was being upgraded some years back.

The train I get in the morning to James Street is the one from Lime Street, after previously departing a City Line train I just travel two stops westbound and alight on platform 3 and obviously when I go home I board the eastbound train on platform 1 to Lime Street without gaining any sight of the disused platform.

Maybe if my journey was the opposite way around and I lived on the Wirral and traveled eastbound to James Street I might have had the chance to alight on platform 2?

507 001

Established Member
I've used platform 2 quite a few times, it was actually used heavily just a couple of weeks back, start of the school 6 weeks summer holidays, when they had to upgrade the final section of track in the loop. Its usually used to reminate Chester and Ellesmere port trains whereas platform 3 is used for West kirby and New Brighton trains.

Its not actually possible for services from Lime street/central to use platform 2, theres no cross over.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
At least 5 booked ECS workings from Kirkdale TCD each day (M-F) to James St P2.

When the loop was closed a few months back this year, over 200 services used this platform for the duration.

It has new PIS, new seating and is regularly serviced.

It's known as the Turn-back platform, usually when there is a big pot fire around the Moorfields area or signalling issues.

First class

Established Member
platform 2 now leads to a siding only - and is only used by engineering trains. there is a 5mph speed limit and I think it is signalled by a position light shunt signal.

ukrob

Established Member
Platform 2 went off in a different direction I think. So it had to be done to make the loop line. I guess it could still be used tho.

It is. Have you not read the posts since the question was asked?

Greeny

It’s 15 years since I worked on Merseyrail, but prior to the Loop and Link, (in the 70’s) platforms 1 and 2 were the lines from Liverpool Central Underground Station to the Wirral, though I'm happy to be corrected. After that when the L & L opened it became part of the ‘Stock Interchange’ line from Wirral to Northern Lines via Paradise Junction to Liverpol central. I’ve had some bloody scary moments down there with Engineers Trains and that flaming horrible Battery Locomotive. Indeed, I’m pretty certain two men were killed down there in the 70’s by the Battery Loco. It is a horrible, depressing place to be at the best of times and when possible, I avoided it like the plague. Especially, when I got accused of running through a set of points down there following a WS track circuit failure.

G

Last edited:

Spagnoletti

Which is the platform at James St. where you can still see the old pre-loop tiles and posters etc as you leave the station (towards Hamilton Square maybe, can't remember)

Status
Not open for further replies.